Public out of CA schools that can be considered safeties!

Hi all!

Although I am pretty confident I will get into most of my safety schools based on my stats, I still want to look into some out of state schools (preferably public) that have a later deadline. If I do not get admitted into any of the following schools: SJSU, USFCA, SCU, UCSC, UCM, UCR) then I would like to consider applying to some out-of-state schools. If you have any suggestions as to how I should edit my list, or schools that are in the western region of the US, please comment them!

Stats
uw gpa: 3.656
w gpa: 3.81
sat: 1390
ap: 3 APs all throughout high school (AP Spanish lang, Spanish lit and music theory – I’m not taking any AP classes senior year)

major: undeclared to most schools, accounting to the rest

As of now, I will probably apply to these schools (again, if I don’t get into any of the above-mentioned schools):
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
University of Nevada, Reno
University of Arizona
University of Montana

Thanks so much and I appreciate all help!

Budget?

Do those other colleges have application deadlines earlier than when the California schools will give results? If so, then you may want to apply to them if you do not see an admit result early enough.

1 Like

Off the top of my head, you will hear from SJSU in February. UCSC, UCM and UCR will post decisions in March, so there will probably be no OOS schools that accept applications that late.

If you want to consider any OOS schools, applying sooner will help if you need good FA (need and merit-based).

That’s also true for WUE which is capacity limited at some schools. And don’t forget housing which can be another problem for late applicants if there is an early cutoff or allocation is made in order of registration date.

Northern Arizona University is a WUE school with rolling admissions. The application is $25 and there are no essays.

3 Likes

Since UC’s won’t use your SAT score for admission, your GPA will have more weight in your decisions. A weighted GPA of 3.81 is pretty far below the average for UCSC (3.81-4.20 is the 25th-75th percentile) so I would by no means consider it a safety school as your odds of getting in are likely against you. I’m not sure what your weighted UC GPA is, but it’s almost always lower than the high school weighted GPA shown so yours would probably be below the 25th percentile. I also wouldn’t consider UCR as a safety either. Perhaps add CSUF, CPP, and some other CSU’s to your list. My intention isn’t to discourage you, I just want to make sure you know what you can truly rely on as a safety school. Best of luck to you!

OP’s information from another thread and already has way too many schools including safeties on their list.

UC GPA is 4.07. Local CSU is SJSU,

• Safety (certain admission and affordability)
    SJSU
    CSUEB
    SFSU
    Sonoma State University
    Monterey Bay State University
    Fresno State University
    Sacramento State University
    Stanislaus State University
  • Match
    UC Riverside
    UC Merced
    UC Santa Cruz
    USFCA(?)
  • Reach
    Rest of the UC’s
    Santa Clara University
1 Like

Thanks for bringing this over. Lot of in-state safeties.

1 Like

Some budget comments from OP’s other discussion

Cost Constraints / Budget
Not much constraints, however would like to preferably stay between the range of 10k to 30k (qualify for financial aid most likely for UC, maybe not CSU, but definitely for USFCA)

Hello! I asked my parents (practically begged and compromised) and they said that they’d be comfortable with me living on campus as long as it is an in-state school and it’s in NorCal! I’ve been looking forward to living in a dorm for a good chunk of my life, so if all goes well and I get into my desired major (Accounting) for SCU and I decide to attend SCU, hopefully, the financial aid can help cover a portion of the costs.

Based on the above comment about living in NorCal, I cannot see how OP’s parents will consider an OOS college???

1 Like

Maybe UN Reno? It would be within driving distance of the Bay area.

1 Like

Hi! I might not have been very clear in my initial post, sorry about that! SJSU, USFCA, SCU, UCSC, UCM and UCR are the schools that I hope to be given a chance at – not that I consider all of them to be safeties. At most, I would say that SJSU is my safety in that list. Also, for my uw and w gpa, those are calculated by my school and they include my 9th grade grades. My UC gpa I think is mentioned in one of my previous threads and (I submitted my UC and CSU apps today) it is a 4.06.
Thanks for your advice!!

1 Like

Definitely added to the list - thanks!!

Hello, I am only considering out-of-state schools if I do not get into any safeties/matches/reaches. (or only get into 1 or 2 schools out of my entire list posted on a separate thread). So, this is completely hypothetical and only a situation that I am considering IF I don’t get admitted into any of the schools in my above post.

SJSU’s prior year thresholds are listed at Freshmen Impaction Results | Admissions . The numbers are calculated as described at Impaction | Admissions . In most cases, it is your GPA * 800; with a 4.06 GPA, your eligibility index would be 3248 (plus any bonus points listed in the second link).

Although thresholds are competitively determined and can change from year to year, it looks like your chances for SJSU business - accounting (2400 last year) or undeclared (2000 last year) are very likely.

Here is some information for UCs’ admission rates for fall 2020 frosh (your 4.06 recalculated GPA would fall into the second GPA column):

Fall 2020 admission rates by campus and HS GPA range from Freshman fall admissions summary | University of California :

Campus 4.20+ 3.80-4.19 3.40-3.79 3.00-3.39
Berkeley 37% 14% 2% 1%
Davis 86% 55% 16% 7%
Irvine 60% 38% 9% 1%
Los Angeles 38% 8% 1% 1%
Merced 98% 97% 95% 88%
Riverside 97% 90% 65% 30%
San Diego 78% 39% 8% 1%
Santa Barbara 81% 40% 9% 2%
Santa Cruz 92% 82% 59% 26%

These are for the whole campus. Different divisions or majors may have different levels selectivity (usually, engineering and computer science majors are more selective).

Others have mentioned UNR and NAU which are worth an ap. I’d also take a look at Boise State, OR State, So Oregon, Co State U of Utah and W Wash as WUE schools that attract a lot of CA students

Good luck

1 Like

My point was that the majority of CSU’s like SJSU will not post admission decisions until February while the UC’s are in March. By that time, applications for the OOS schools may have passed. If you are looking for some financial aid to attend these OOS schools, then apply now since FA can be limited especially for the WUE schools.

The schools that I listed have really late application deadlines. They mostly fall into the range of April through July.

My eligibility index is actually 3288 since I’m a first gen student (neither parent graduated from a 4 year college). Thanks so much for your help!!

you’d also get into Oregon and Colorado with those stats. Colorado State is fun too. But these are also more $