Purdues General Education Concept

<p>After looking at the freshman curriculum for my course, seems as if Purdue doesnt emphasize much on general ed, by that I mean is you start taking classes that are related to your major from the first semester.</p>

<p>Any comments on this?</p>

<p>It really depends on your major and what school you’re in. Of course liberal arts has the most core courses/gen ed courses you have to take, but a lot of other schools you don’t have to take a whole lot. Probably because there’s a lot of major specific classes you have to fulfill and are required to take. Like engineering, there are some gen ed classes, but you do jump right into engineering classes and engineering specific classes in order to graduate in four years. And most people know engineering is what they want to do. And many majors require you to pass some sort of evaluation or have a certain gpa in order to continue on and take upper level classes for your major, hence why you start taking major specific classes right away. This only becomes a problem when you have no idea what you want to major in lol, other than that, it makes sense to me because of how Purdue is set up.</p>