Question About 3-2 Engineering and Academic Freedoms

<p>I've already been admitted to Geneseo and am thinking about majoring in Econ. The 3-2 program in Operations Research at Columbia sounds pretty awesome and it could definitely help me with my career goals, but I'm not sure if its the perfect fit for me. </p>

<p>I like the sciences, but my focus is definitely in econ/social sciences. I like Operations Research because it focuses on the quantitative and managerial methods behind econ. Would I have to major in Physics/Math/Chem to do the 3-2 program? What are the course requirements for the program like?</p>

<p>In the same vein, I'm also interested in IR/Polisci and law. What's cool about Columbia's engineering school is that so many grads go into corporate jobs, as apposed to actual engineering field work. I'd be willing to give up majoring in Polisci if I did the 3-2 program. However, I'd definitely still want to have some academic exposure to it. Would I be able to turn the 3-2 program into a 4-2 program so I can have more freedom in class selection?</p>

<p>I have also been selected to apply to the Edgar Fellows Honors Program. Would I be able to participate in the dual enrollment program with Columbia and also be in the Honors Program?</p>

<p>As a 3-2 math major, I can tell you that its a fantastic program and a great opportunity.
If you’re not particularly interested in Phys/Chem/Math, I would suggest doing the math program, as it is the easiest to do out of all three and probably has the most in common with the OR branch at columbia. Unfortunately, the 4-2 is something columbia offers, but geneseo doesn’t, so you’d do the 3-2. Honestly, you’ll have plenty of mobility for class selection (the 3-2 requires you to take 9 liberal arts classes), don’t worry about it. If you want the poli sci, some of these classes could be in that dept., but anecdotal experience tells me poli sci classes here are kind of a joke (american politics for ex. you can get an A in if you have any knowledge of the constitution, really its that easy).
I’m doing the program for applied math and want to go on to consulting work after. If you’re interested in anything like iBanking, consulting, etc. the 3-2 is just great, as your opportunities are expanded hugely upon by going to Columbia.
My recommendation to you: Do the econ core classes and a math major here. Econ core at columbia is intro macro/micro, intermediate macro/micro and econometrics. This way you’ll take 1-2 more classes at columbia and have an econ minor there.
Your basic outlook for a math 3/2 major would be this:
Analytical Physics I, II, III, IV
Chem I, II
Calc I-III, Differential Equations, and I think 3-4 math classes of your choice.</p>

<p>At columbia, you’d have the opportunity to take classes at SIPA if you’re interested in IR.</p>

<p>as for edgar fellows, I wouldn’t bother if you have enough AP credits to cover most of the core here. the 2000 is nice, but I turned it down because you have to take more classes and I didn’t feel it was worth my effort. Plus there’s a project you need to do your senior year that I couldn’t do due to the 3-2 which would make it wholly useless. the honors program basically has you take a “Core” fine arts class (or whatever other core class) with other honors students and everyone get’s A’s. Like I said, if APs are covered, don’t bother.</p>

<p>I know a lot more about this topic, but I’d need to know more about your future goals and what you’re interested in to help you out more. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.</p>

<p>Also, one more thing. Keep a brochure handy of the 3/2 thing if you got one. They tried to cancel the program on me (the math one) and told me to physics. I went to the dean and told them to screw themselves :smiley:
Since I had evidence they offered it to me, they had to keep their end of the bargain, or I could have sued them for a pretty penny (as I noted to the dean as well).
I came here for the 3/2, I got into other ivies and good schools, but I wanted to go to columbia, so I was ****ed off when they told me. But yeah, keep evidence of your thing so the bureaucracy doesn’t screw you over.</p>

<p>Does the dismantling of the computer science department have a negative effect on this 3-2 program?</p>

<p>After reading the website it seems that Geneseo gives a lot of credit for APs. But at the info session the counselor seemed vague about how that could play out. If you have 30 to 40 credits with AP and Suny credits would that really be accepted?</p>

<p>Does anyone have experience using their AP credits and how has it worked for them</p>

<p>I just emailed the Geneseo 3-2 director and he said in order to do dual-enrollment with Columbia I’d have to be a Physics major…:frowning: It looks like they’ve changed the formatting of the program…</p>

<p>Yeah, he told me that, too.
If you got a brochure in the mail that said you can be a math major for the program, email Savi Iyer and tell her you got swindled.</p>