Question about Common app and applying test optional to some but not all schools…

Son is using common app to apply to schools.

Under the “testing” section of “common app” tab it asks about ACT/SAT tests you wish to report which include both test taken and future tests you expect to take.

If you are applying test optional to some but not all of your common app schools, how do you answer the question on “the number of past scores you wish to report?”

Also, how should you answer the “number of future sittings you expect to take” if you plan to report those scores to some but not all schools you are applying to?

Thanks!

You include the SAT for the colleges you want to list, submit those applications, then edit out for the colleges you don’t want to include.

How do you edit out? The scores are reported under the general common app tab under “testing.”

So are they automatically edited out when you select “test optional” under the specific college’s questions? Thx

You submit the app to colleges one at a time. You can edit anything in the Common App in between submitting to additional colleges. The colleges you previously submitted the app to will not see your future changes to the Common App.

4 Likes

Thanks. It’s confusing. I found 2 different sites. One says you edit it out each time and the other says you report it but if you select test optional for the school, it will be suppressed so confusing!

This one says you edit each time…

This one says it’s suppressed when choosing test optional…

https://www.collegevin.com/questions/33832/in-the-commonapp-how-do-i-want-my-test-scores-to-be-sent-to-some-and-test-option-for-the-others

Either way will work.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.