Question about Grinnell college

My son goes to Grinnell and one thing about it’s location (apart from the “fact” that it’s conveniently located between NYC and LA), is that it’s a great place to practice “adulting.” Getting your own place in junior or senior year, having a job or getting a driver’s license and practicing to drive (if you’re from NY where people do this later), etc. So it’s not an exaggerating to say it’s a good location. My son has had a fantastic four years at Grinnell and has done some wonderful academic work. I agree with the poster that academics are very important there.

5 Likes

I just saw this and I am happy to hear it! My daughter is an indigenous North African painter into science, community health outreach, and social activism from Portland, Oregon. We are thrilled to have her headed to Grinnell.

4 Likes

While I realize that the OP is probably entering their junior or senior year in college at this point, I wanted to post an updated perspective since many prospective applicants may seek guidance from this thread.

OP, I truly hope that you found your happy place at a college or university that suited you, and I hope through your experience there that you have become more tolerant and accepting of people who are not just like you. I also hope you found that “cute girl” you were looking for. Absolutely no sarcasm intended here–I really do hope you found a good fit.

My daughter will be starting her second year at Grinnell this month and she absolutely loves it there. The academics are indeed rigorous and not all of her classes have resonated, but she has been challenged, done well, and has been, overall, extremely happy and impressed with her classes, professors and classmates. The diversity and quirkiness within the student body is something that she cherishes, and having met many of her teammates and classmates, I can see why. These people are extremely intelligent, compassionate, funny, interesting and hard working, and I suspect that many of these people will be friends for life.

No doubt about it, Grinnell is a very small town, but hardly isolated. Des Moines and Iowa City are an hour away, and Chicago is easily accessed for long weekends and school breaks. Many LACs are located in small towns, some even more isolated, and that is part of their charm. My D loves the little town of Grinnell, probably more so because she knows that her post-graduate life will likely take her to a bigger city. There’s plenty going on at Grinnell to keep her and her friends occupied and entertained. Being bored has never been an issue.

Anyone who is considering Grinnell should absolutely visit. Like any school, it’s not for everyone, but it is indeed a gem that shows better in person.

5 Likes