Question about HS Freshman Sister

<p>Hi everyone,
I was once a regular lurker here 4 years back when I was applying to college. I am now going to be graduating pretty soon from UC Irvine and will be applying to graduate schools. My sister is currently a freshman in High School and she had made it her life’s mission to attend UCLA, UC Berkeley or UC Irvine. I know that a lot of things have changed in terms of competitiveness amongst these institutions. However, granted that we were the parent’s of immigrants who did not know much about admissions, I had to scavenge a lot of the info for myself with no familial guidance. I want to be able to guide my sister as much as possible so as to help her achieve her academic goals and set her on the right path to success.</p>

<p>She was in the GATE program all throughout Elementary and Junior High…does that carry over to High School…will it help her in admissions in any way?</p>

<p>Presently, she is taking Honor’s Biology, AlgebraI, Social Science and English with PE, Spanish and a career course. She is getting A’s and B’s in all except for Honor’s biology. I am working with her to improve it but at present she has a D grade. I don’t foresee her getting more than a C- in the class based on her current record.</p>

<p>Would it make a huge impact on her from an admissions aspect if she didn’t do so good her first semester and may even have had to repeat this class?</p>

<p>Also, I feel she is more of an Algebra person and think it might be a better idea for her to take Geometry in the summer prior to Sophomore year. Would it be a good idea for her to take it online, at a local community college/regular college or at her school (if offered)during the summer before sophomore year?</p>

<p>When I was applying only Sophomore and Junior year grades mattered. From what I understand, Sophomore and Junior year grades are the ones that still count towards one’s GPA, but the level of difficulty of one’s freshman year classes are still looked at. Is that correct?</p>

<p>Regarding Extracurricular activities, she is currently playing Basketball for the school’s team and it does take up a significant amount of time, but she enjoys it. Should she continue playing Basketball all throughout high school? Track and field starts in the Spring and she was wondering if she should do that to demonstrate a diverse interest in athletics.
She also has to do community service and was wondering if she should be involved in a club of some sort. From what I understand, it doesn’t matter if you are just involved in the club, you should hold some type of position on the club’s senate, correct? Lastly, she plays the electric guitar sometimes as she has a passion for music, would it be advisable for her to continue playing and listing that as an EC?</p>

<p>Finally, when should she start worrying about SAT studying? She doesn’t want to take too many AP or Honor’s classes next year so as not too stress herself out, but will taking regular classes count negatively towards her when it comes to admissions? During the summers, will taking easy classes at a Community College be of help?</p>

<p>I honestly wasn’t too involved in EC’s, but I’m sure it is getting important more and more these days. I don’t want her to have that feeling of regret when it comes time to apply.</p>

<p>Thanks so much in advance! Wishing everyone a very happy new year!</p>

<p>i have to leave for school so i can only answer one question (the only one i read lol)
gate does transfer over to high school.
i don’t think it helps because we do not mention it in any way on the application. besides, there is no gate curriculum in high school and the uc app emphasizes our high school academic history.</p>

<p>The fact that she was in gate likely helped her get into H. Bio, but it won’t affect her admission to UC’s.
It is true that only Sophomore and Junior year GPA count for UC gpa. If she’s shooting for UCLA or Berkeley, she really needs to pick up the pace. She will want to take most or all AP classes offered and only get one our two B’s Soph and Junior year.
If she takes an Algebra course over the summer, it will be counted into her GPA. So taking it over the summer will likely only hurt her since she will have around 1/20 the amount of time to learn everything. As far as community college courses, that may be a good idea because they would be weighted (A is 5.0, B is 4.0, etc.) and she could get some college credit. However, dealing with community college credits while in high school is a pain! So only do it if she’s committed.
I think with Extra Curriculars, Clubs (with leadership) > community service > sports > recreational activities (like music). Especially with the top tier UCs, leadership and volunteering are crucial.
Don’t start SAT/ACT studying until the Summer before Junior year. I would recommend taking as many AP classes as possible, especially for UCLA and Berkeley. For Irvine, take at least 1 or 2 a year.
I hope this had helped. I’m currently a senior finished with applications and waiting for decisions, so I’ve studied up on a lot of this.</p>

<p>Thank you guys for the invaluable info!</p>

<p>I want her to pick up the pace and get her act together soon. So her bad grades this year probably won’t hurt her too much as they are not counted in the GPA, but they might hurt her in top tier one’s because they include freshman GPA to calculate rank and eligibility correct?</p>

<p>She will be taking Geometry next year. So I was thinking it might be a good idea to start her off at a Community College and have her take it there, so she will get that weighted boost to her GPA. However, I am a bit reluctant to send such a young kid to a CC. She is easily influenced and I feel rather uncomfortable about her being in the company of young college adults especially when she is not so mature.</p>

<p>Any suggestions on what type of leadership position she should adopt? She has an interest in volunteering, so I was thinking maybe Key Club? Or maybe she could start her own club at school?</p>

<p>She is very lazy and not motivated, most likely due to her age, but I know she has potential and I want to see her successful.</p>

<p>For Med School and such they advise us to have a few EC’s that we stick to and are committed to in duration (i.e. doing a research project for a couple years) instead of doing several things (research for a few months, sport practice one semester, volunteering a little bit, etc.). For college, is it the same thing? So would it be more advantageous for her to drop the Basketball sport for next year and just invest that time into creating and being a part of a club and holding a leadership position for the next 3 years? I know she loves it, but she can always do it as a recreational thing at home with her siblings. I don’t want to see her devote hours and deal with unsympathetic coaches and then get fatigued only to have her academics suffer the brunt.</p>

<p>Thanks again for all the help!</p>

<p>I’m really not sure how D’s/retaking courses look to the UCs. I’m pretty sure they look bad no matter what grade level it’s at. If it is at all possible to get her grade up to a C (talking to teacher, retaking tests, whatever it takes), I would go for that. Usually the freshman year doesn’t matter to UCs, but I’m pretty sure any D looks really bad. Freshman year is not used to calculate UC GPA or rank, so that’s not a problem.</p>

<p>I would advise not having her take the CC course. While it is weighted, she would likely do better in the high school class. If you/she thinks she can get at least a B, it would be fine. But you’re taking the risk that she gets a D or F and having colleges see that. I’ve never taken a CC course, so I’m not sure how negative of an effect the college students could have on her. I assume they would just kind of ignore her.</p>

<p>I would advise having her join a club or two that she is interested in. Hopefully by Junior or Senior year she can be elected to a leadership position. I would not advise having her start a club until Senior year, if at all. I started a club this year (my senior year), and it is a ton of work. It is stressing me out and I (somewhat) regret doing it. Back to leadership, Key Club tends to have a lot of members, and at least at my school, leaders are elected by the students… so usually the popular kids get leadership positions. I would recommend having her join that club only if she is really interested, but not in hopes of getting any sort of leadership. Good clubs are ones with fewer people and ones that she really wants to join (and isn’t just doing because of college apps.)</p>

<p>Yes, sticking with the same activities for a while is very beneficial. If she really likes basketball, it’s probably best to stick with that rather than joining clubs she hates just for college apps. However, sports take a lot more work than clubs, and it will likely affect her academics (hence why one sees only one or two sports players in AP classes). Have her try out maybe three or four clubs and choose two she would like to stick with until Senior year. I have been on the school newspaper since sophomore year and love it. The best advice I can give is for her to choose clubs she really wants to be in, and it won’t seem like work.</p>

<p>If you have any other questions just ask</p>

<p>Thank you for the very helpful response. I will think this over with her and we will see what is manageable for her.</p>