Question about living/SOAR

<p>I'm from Oklahoma and the winter is completely different from Wisconsins. Any advice what to bring? Like earmuffs? Or any advice as to how to surivive during the winter?
Also during the winter, do you guys wear a warm pants underneath your jeans or w/e? If so, what do you do when you're in a building? Lol sorry for the silly questions but my parents have been nagging me about it.</p>

<p>I also signed up for the Late SOAR (yes, I know its bad). But what happens if you did bad on it? I havent studied all summer and I forgot everything I learned during Senior year lol... I'm afraid I'll do bad. If I do, can I talk to the Student adviser and get into a higher class that I think I am more ready for?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Hi! I have actually never been to Madison, but I am from Buffalo and feel I can answer your questions about winter. :)<br>
Definitely bring all of the typical winter things (earmuffs, gloves, a hat, a coat, snow pants if you plan on sledding/skiing/snowball fights). In the winter here we will not typically wear things under our jeans, unless my school or whatever building i’m going to is particularly cold. If I do, I will wear long underwear that I wear skiing, so it isn’t noticable under my jeans. If you have the money to invest in a pair, go ahead, but if not you’ll be fine. When it’s that cold you won’t be venturing outside too much, most likely, unless you’re going to sled or build igloos.
You’ll survive! :slight_smile: The cold isn’t as bad as you think and chances are you won’t be chilling outside when it’s -20. Beware: Don’t get right into warm water if you’re cold - you will feel the burn!
Have fun at UW, I’m applying for fall 2011. :smiley:
PS. I forgot to mention, bring shoes that won’t get wet in the snow! Or boots or something, cold/wet feet are the worst.</p>

<p>I’m a student here, and most people I know *do *wear things under their jeans. Long underwear, leggings, etc. In high school no one wears them, because most high school students aren’t walking a mile or so to class, but when your legs are your primary method of transportation, it’s a bit different situation. So yeah, you will be venturing outside a lot. I’d recommend it, and I’m a person with a high tolerance for cold. </p>

<p>You don’t really notice the long underwear in a building. </p>

<p>There’s actually quite a few threads on here about winter in Madison, I suggest you search for them. </p>

<p>I don’t know if I’d recommend bringing your own winter gear right away, since it’s pretty easy to hop on a bus and go buy some come late October, actually in Madison, and right now it’s just wasted space. Some people bring their own right now, some don’t. You’ll need the typical hat, gloves, scarf, jacket. If the jacket you get isn’t warm enough, you’ll likely have room to layer another jacket underneath. </p>

<p>As for SOAR, are you talking about the placement tests? You will probably not be able to talk your way out of it. For English, if you didn’t get out of Comm A, you didn’t. Unless you took and passed one of the AP English tests with a high enough grade, you’re stuck with your results. For math, same situation. You don’t have to take calc though for Quan A, so just be prepared to explore your options. It isn’t just about getting into a higher class, it’s about meeting the requirement for graduation.</p>

<p>The foreign language test is a bit different. You can talk to them about it, say you’re ready for the next level, but make sure you are. I was one point shy of being place in the next class up, and they had no problems with me taking it because I was right on the border. If you’re not, it’ll be harder to plead your case, but I don’t think they’ll really care. I never got special approval to take the class one level up, and nothing was ever said to me about it. Use your best judgment. They’re willing to listen with the foreign langauge test, but if you’ve already forgotten everything, well, that might tell you where you really need to be anyway. You can always enroll in the level they put you in, see if it’s okay for you, but try to move up if you go to class and see it’s too easy for you.</p>

<p>RE: foreign language classes & where you decide to place yourself, it might be a good idea not to fly too close to the sun by choosing a harder class. Reason is RETROACTIVE CREDITS. Read up on it on the UW website. Bottom line is you ONLY get the retroactive credits–as many as 16 for placing out of four classes/levels–if you get a ‘B’ or higher in the class you choose. A ‘B/C’? You get nothing. Nada. </p>

<p>My D took what she thought was an ‘easier’ Spanish course, so she could be assured of 12 retroactive credits. Combined with all her other courses, it took a LOT more time than she thought and just eked out a ‘B’, a real close call.</p>

<p>Just be careful…</p>

<p>^It also might be wiser to err on the side of caution because the way in which foreign langauge classes are taught in college is so different than in high school. It can be a big adjustment if you’re not that comfortable in the language. There’s nothing wrong with taking a lower-level class, though. </p>

<p>But like I said, you can always go to class, get the syllabus, and see what works better for you. I went to the lower-level class first, realized I was way beyond the material and how she was gonna to teach it, and I was just fine the higher-level one. There will be foreign langauge advisors at SOAR, too (should be, at least), so talk to them about it. Although chances are, if you’re not close to the score to be placed in the next class up, they’ll tell you to stay.</p>

<p>Regarding the winter clothes. You will likely go home for Thansgiving break and can bring back your winter gear then or buy locally when gear is available at good prices in the fall. That way you will have a chance to better figure out what you want/need. Long underwear (or the equivalent)?? Boots?? Not my kid. Hats/gloves/mittens- yes. Don’t worry now. If you can wait the best deals will be in late December… And, no need to worry about the “correct” fashion/brands- choose what you like and there’s bound to be someone else with your taste.</p>

<p>Never wore long underwear–just jeans. Main thing is to keep the head and core warm. Not a hat person but had earmuffs and they are the best. Unless the wind is really blowing you tend to get warm walking briskly so I just had a sweatshirt and a decent but not arctic style coat most cold days–and gloves. Had boots but rarely wore them–much faster in standard athletic shoes and thick socks. Just had to watch the big thaw puddles in Spring. They could be a foot deep filled with ice cold water. You learn about those fast. The few really cold windy days I took the bus and cut through warm buildings. Mostly I walked anywhere from 1-2.5 miles each way. Keeps you fit.</p>

<p>My son is heading up there in three days. The biggest worry for us the the cold. Coming from Fort Lauderdale, we are adapted to handle pressure-cooker heat. No one, in our family, feels OK below freezing. Our impression of Madison in the winter is brutal cold. We kow that all will be fine for September and October, but we will certainly be sending him care packages by Halloween. </p>

<p>Now, I know that Sconnies would not think of wearing long under wear, but I can assure you that my son will be sporting them often. As for gloves, what are your recommendations? What sort of gloves are best? Which brands offer the best bang for the buck?</p>

<p>It does get colder gradually so you do get used to it–not like going from 75 to 10 over night. Usually really cold stuff comes after Christmas. Getting off the plane in January might be tougher. Ski gloves are generally good. They do get lost so I’d look at price. No more than $30 or so.</p>

<p>S wore long underwear on some of the bitterly cold days. He didn’t wear gloves, though - just kept his hands in the warming pockets of his North Face down jacket. (Gloves make his fingers cold, and he didn’t want mittens).</p>

<p>Don’t forget an umbrella. Last fall, there was a day with about 3 inches of rain. Not only were the students soaked, but the backpacks were soaked, too. According to one bookstore employee, more books than ever before were refused from the ‘buy back’ counter at the end of the semester due to water damage.</p>

<p>I know this will be hard to believe for parents from warm weather states, but for most of the winter most kids just throw on a hoodie. Gloves when they remember them. Pockets otherwise. It has to get seriously cold – teens or colder – before the parkas come out. And there will be some weather like that, don’t get me wrong. But kids are kids. They adapt fast and they move fast. It’s really not that big a deal. There are warm buildings everywhere to duck into, but the warmth of being in the company of friends is more important to most kids. It’s a shared experience.</p>

<p>As for clothing, for those coming from far away I agree that buying in Madison may make more sense rather than carrying it from elsewhere. But another thing you can do is just buy it mailorder from places like Lands End and LL Bean and have it shipped directly to your kids’ doors in October or early November.</p>

<p>Anyway, the truly cold weather is still many months away. My son moves into his dorm on Friday and it’s forecast to be a glorious late summer midwestern day in the low 80s with low humidity and nary a cloud in the sky.</p>

<p>Good luck to all starting at the great State University of Wisconsin. Your children are on the cusp of a fabulous educational and life experience.</p>

<p>Thanks MilwDad. My son will be checking in Saturday…perhaps Friday night, if they let him.</p>

<p>I live in Madison. I have always lived in cold climates. I never wear long underwear unless I am going to be out for a long period of time, but it won’t hurt to have some around. Get the lighter weight kind if he is going to be wearing them to class and a heavier pair for playing outdoors. I would highly recommend some kind of water proof footwear. Hiking boots, Gortex shoes, rubber shoes, take your pick. When there is 8 inches of snow on the ground and you need to get to class, water proof footwear and thick socks will go a long way to helping you stay comfortable. As for gloves, I have one kid with some circulation issues in one of his hands. He is also a musician and needs to keep his hands as warm as possible. We tried a variety of different gloves and the kind that he has always liked best are ski gloves made by Columbia. </p>

<p>A lot of kids do wear hoodies, but if you are concerned about being too cold, look into a Systems jacket by Columbia or Northface. These coats are 3 coats in one essentially. The inner jacket zips into the outer coat. You can wear each piece seperately or zip them together when things get really cold. They outer coat also comes with a hood. Hoods are very nice to have when it is really windy. Also, get a nice scarf to cover your face when it is extremely cold. </p>

<p>Ultimately, the really cold stuff usually only happens for a few weeks. In the fall, when it gets down to 40 for the first time, you kids will complain about how cold it is. However, during the mid-winter thaw when the temps get into the 40s for a spell, they will be wanting their shorts :)</p>

<p>Thank you shennie and the entire wisc board clan. You have all been a great resource for my family. </p>

<p>I am sure that my son will adapt to the new environment. This is a good thing for him.</p>

<p>I’ve lived in Madison my whole life, and the only time I’ve ever worn long underwear was when I went to Paraguay this summer (it was the winter there). I also haven’t owned a pair of boots for years, but those are more worth buying than long underwear. A few really nice pairs of warm, winter socks would also be worth buying. I occasionally wear gloves, but not often, and hats even less (hoods work fine). It’s one of those things that you just adopt to, and you honestly aren’t outside enough for it to be worth putting on all those layers of clothing–in my opinion, of course. With you being from Oklahoma, it may be completely different, but this was just my 17-year-old guy’s opinion</p>

<p>I came to Madison from the DC metro area. This will be my seventh winter. It gets colder earlier here than in DC and stays cold longer. Wisconsin winters have made me understand why so many Midwesterners move South when they can. </p>

<p>Each winter can be different. There were some winters when 15 degrees felt balmy. There were other winters when Lake Mendota didn’t freeze until late January. Some winters have been very snowy, 101 inches a few years ago with spring flooding, and other winters with not so much snow. Last winter wasn’t too bad. You get used to it. I don’t like it; other people, well a few, love it. If you develop a taste for ice fishing, snowmobiling, or cross country skiing it wouldn’t be so bad. </p>

<p>I wait for the bus in the morning so I do wear a long coat, scarf, ear muffs but no hat, sweater, rubbers if it’s wet out or work shoes, and sometimes long underwear. Once I get to my office I stay there. But then again I’m an old guy.</p>

<p>Gloves can be bought from many places and don’t need to cost that much- I look for sales at Kohls for good, warm ones at half price of $10, no one will care what brand you wear. Even Walmart has the gear. The heavier weight items are probably not available in the South so it may be best to tell a student to use their free bus pass and go to a local store for cold weather hats and gloves. A trick my sister taught me when son was a toddler, works for all ages- put your arm up the sleeve of a winter jacket to tell how warm it will be, we would reject those that didn’t feel very warm from our body heat- works in a warm store. Son wears his running shoes all the time- even when he forged a path up the Van Vleck steps one snowy Saturday before they had a chance to clear them (and they do a good job on campus- but in the middle of a snowstorm…). Umbrella? Never even if it is a good idea. Up to 25% of body heat is lost through the head- due to the high scalp vascularity so a hood or hat is a much better choice than earmuffs. Hooded jackets block the wind. A “three in one” such as that by Columbia has versatility. Again, look for salesin the season.</p>

<p>BTW- it cooled down this week, only in the '70’s today, but warm/hot again- in the 80’s- for the next few days- over the weekend. No rain in the forecast! Cool nights. I always sent son with a blanket for this weather and the comforter for cold weather (he used them as they weren’t sent home). Don’t forget a mattress pad as the skimpy one provided in the past is useless.</p>