"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

Of course. It was not my intent to suggest otherwise.

There is an interesting podcast out today about affirmative action, and the issues surrounding the true impact of the policy. The discussion includes perspectives on race vs. class and their impact on diversity.

It’s posted on the NYTimes and Spotify, and I’m guessing other podcast outlets.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the distinction of the other 55k students?

The categories of other students (other than graded enrollment) are listed in the document, in the box in the upper left showing enrollment in each category.

https://achieve.lausd.net/site/handlers/filedownload.ashx?moduleinstanceid=66505&dataid=109597&FileName=Fingertip_Facts_2021_2022_FINAL_ENG.pdf

Interesting. Thank you.

Well-written opinion piece in the NYT today.

3 Likes

Very interesting. I ponder the issue as regards my S22, an affluent Black student who got a 1400 (700/700) on the SAT. Certainly a good score, better than I got as a designated gifted student in 1987, but he didn’t submit it to NYU because test-optional means you submit only the gaudiest scores to top schools these days. He was admitted ED, and while a White student with his stats (3.6 UW, all honors or AP classes, varsity basketball, co-founded a landscaping business, reco from an NYU law professor) might well have been as well, it’s hard not to wonder if his URM status gave him a decisive push. And would that really be wrong, amid boosts for athletes, legacies, donors? At the same time, I agree with McWhorter that the goal has to remain raising minorities’ academic performance in general, not finding more and more reasons to give up and excuse it away.

(Our D19 did even better on the SAT with a 1490. That was well above the threshold at Parsons, her first and only choice, where artistic talent weighs heavily even for business students like her.)

3 Likes

A post was split to a new thread: "Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 13