Penn (Wharton): 995 mH
Duke: 990 mH
Columbia: 990 mH
Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore: 988 mH
Brown: 987 mH
Penn (other than Wharton), Dartmouth: 985 mH
Cornell (CAS and engineering): 980 mH
Chicago: 980 mH
Northwestern, WUSTL, Rice, Vanderbilt: 975 mH (Vandy and Rice 985 in the South)
Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, Emory: 950 mH
Tufts Wesleyan, Middlebury, Bowdoin: 925 mH
University of Virginia/UNC: 900 mH (950 in VA/NC; 990 in Virginia excluding Northern Virginia for UVa)
UC Berkeley: 900 mH
Michigan 890 mH
Notre Dame: 890 mH (1,000 mH to devout Midwestern Catholics)
UCLA, CMU: 880 mH
USC: 850 mH
Wake Forest, Washington & Lee, Davidson: 825 mH</p>

<p>“Emory on the same level as Vanderbilt and JHU? And above Tufts, Georgetown, and Berkeley? PSHHH no way. I’d have to put it at 890, tied with Michigan. Both large Jewish populations that didn’t get into an Ivy, NYU or Tufts.”</p>

<p>There are plenty of students who attend Michigan who had no desire to attend just any Ivy, NYU or Tufts. Michigan offers a unique experience that cannot be duplicated by Tufts or NYU. Your east coast bias is showing.</p>

<p>Guys, c’mon
This is the most accurate ranking of prestigiosity</p>

<p>Harvard: 1000 mH
Yale, Princeton: 998 mH
MIT, Caltech: 997mH
Stanford: 995 mH (998 west of the Mississippi)
Columbia, Harvey Mudd: 992 mH
Cornell, Penn: 990 mH
Brown, Dartmouth: 985 mH
Duke, UC Berkeley: 980 mH (990 south of the Mason Dixon line/ 990 on west coast)
Chicago, JHU: 978
Northwestern, Rice, UCLA: 975 mH
USC, NYU, Michigan: 970 mH
Tufts, Georgetown: 960 mH</p>

<p>Also WUSTL would be tied with Tufts and Georgetown, however it would be rated higher for people in the Midwest, closer to JHU and Chicago.</p>

<p>Harvard, Stanford: 1000 mH
Yale, Princeton: 998 mH
MIT:997
Caltech: 993
Columbia: 992 mH
Chicago, Penn*: 990 mH
Brown, Dartmouth: 985 mH
Duke, UC Berkeley: 980 mH (990 south of the Mason Dixon line/ 990 on west coast)
Cornell, JHU: 978
Northwestern, Rice, UCLA: 975 mH
USC, NYU, Michigan: 970 mH
Tufts, Georgetown: 960 mH</p>

<p>*This is an average of Wharton and the rest of Penn. I would put Wharton as high as Yale, Princeton and the rest of Penn at the level of Brown Dartmouth. </p>

<p>I would argue, though, that everything from Caltech and downward is pretty much unknown to the average person on the street. But Duke, UMich and UCLA are probably known because of basketball and not really academics. </p>

<p>“everything from Caltech and downward is pretty much unknown to the average person on the street”</p>

<p>I didn’t know anything about Caltech until I started hanging out on CC
so the “average person on the street” doesn’t count in prestigiosity rankings ;)</p>

<p>I feel as if we should mH scores based off of a standard formula rather than just a collage of opinions by different people. If it’s really a scale that we’re using, we should have the proper means to determine score.</p>

<p>Variables that can be included:

1. Selectivity
  2. Number of applicants
  3. Graduation rate</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Come on rjk, tell the truth. You’d give UM a prestigiosity score of 1001; at least.</p>

<p>Harvard: 1000 mH
Yale, Princeton: 990 mH
MIT, Caltech: 985mH
Stanford: 980 mH (990 west of the Mississippi)
Columbia, Harvey Mudd: 975 mH
Cornell, Penn: 960 mH
Brown, Dartmouth: 955 mH
Duke, UC Berkeley: 950 mH (980 south of the Mason Dixon line/ 980 on west coast)
Chicago, JHU: 925
Northwestern, Rice, UCLA: 900 mH
USC, NYU, Michigan: 850 mH
Notre Dame, WUSTL: 840 mH
Georgetown, Pomona: 835 mH
Carnegie Mellon, Tufts, Vanderbilt: 830 mH
UNC, UVA, Georgia Tech, Scripps: 825 mH
Boston College, UIUC, Case Western, Claremont McKenna: 800 mH
Purdue, UT, U of W, UCSD: 790 mH
Northeastern, BU, Rensselaer: 780 mH
UC Davis, UCSB, UCI: 760 mH
Texas A&M, VA Tech: 750 mH</p>

<p>“Emory on the same level as Vanderbilt and JHU? And above Tufts, Georgetown, and Berkeley? PSHHH no way. I’d have to put it at 890, tied with Michigan. Both large Jewish populations that didn’t get into an Ivy, NYU or Tufts.”</p>

<p>Perhaps if I made an inane statement like the one above it would have met with your approval CHD2013? </p>

<p>^^I agree, the statement is inane. Seems like we’re on the same wavelength today.</p>

<p>

The prestigiosity ratings need to be calculated by a single, unbiased, highly trained individual with no axe to grind. In all humility, there is only one person who can adequately perform this task, the creator of these ratings. In my magnanimity, of course, I consider the views of others as well.</p>

<p>If you want to rank schools based on “who wants to attend what university”, here is a list. Based on surveys of prospective college students (graduating high school students). Enjoy
<a href=“http://uprimenews.com/school/bc/article/top-100-colleges-students-wish-they-could-attend”>http://uprimenews.com/school/bc/article/top-100-colleges-students-wish-they-could-attend&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>^^^^I can completely understand the top three schools on that list. :-)</p>

<p>I think that going by the yield rates would be the best approach. Maybe adjust by adding ~10% for non-ED/SCEA schools. You can’t go solely by # of applications since some schools don’t offer all types of programs (i.e. Penn has specific professional programs, UChicago doesn’t have engineering, etc.). </p>

<p>Consider ‘real international traffics’ to their web sites? (Don’t take it seriously on my May 11 post on page 13? :slight_smile: Look at the link below)</p>

<p>This is current and real: (data are collected on the same day)
<a href=“http://www.4icu.org/topNorth-America/”>http://www.4icu.org/topNorth-America/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>MIT
Stanford
Harvard
Berkeley (told you, it is always on TV and movies)
Cornell</p>

<p>If a school has a translated name, it is famous/prestigious. </p>

<p>IF it were me, it would be roughly this:
Harvard, Stanford: 1000
Yale, Princeton, Wharton: 998
Columbia: 997
Chicago, Brown: 995
Dartmouth, Duke, non-Wharton Penn: 994
NW, Cornell, Vandy, GTown: 990</p>

<p>This is based on my experiences on asking people where they have applied and posts I’ve read on sites such as CC. </p>

<p>I think that by definition, no place but Harvard can have 1,000 milliHarvards. I mean, that’s just Harvard.</p>

<p>^ Let’s say this: the world is emphasizing STEM, and Harvard is strong on humanities and political science
 those schools with strong STEM fields are running ahead and will be ahead for some time.</p>

<p>madglav missed MIT, so the list is not based on CC. But I think it is fine that this thread seems to have no rules anyways. </p>