Ranking Colleges by Prestigiosity

<p>You can’t separate Penn into Wharton and non-Wharton. Wharton is one program in the University of Pennsylvania and not its own separate entity. Why should we have this exception when we’re not splitting Georgetown into Georgetown SFS and <em>regular</em> Georgetown for instance?</p>

<p>IMO, the difference between “regular Georgetown” and “SFS Georgetown” isn’t as big as “regular Penn” and Wharton.</p>

<p>Wharton, for anyone interested in business, is surpassed by none, and probably tied with Harvard. Wharton is king in high finance.
Georgetown SFS is incredibly good. However, Wharton acceptance rate (less than 10%) and yield (over 70%) are on par with Harvard, and you can’t say that about SFS.</p>

<p>What about Cornell’s Hospitality Management program? USC’s Film Program? NYU’s Theater & Dramatic Arts Program?</p>

<p>YOU CANNOT SEPARATE A SPECIFIC PROGRAM FROM THE UNIVERSITY IT BELONGS TO AND RANK IT ALONGSIDE WITH OTHER COMPLETE INSTITUTIONS.</p>

<p>Also, Penn Wharton is a good feeder into Wall Street but it’s not necessarily the best option for those students aiming to join to the PR firms, ad agencies, marketing companies, Big 4 Accounting companies, etc. etc.</p>

<p>Look, I agree with you for the most part, but in this joke thread, Wharton should be separated from Penn.</p>

<p>We’re humorously ranking what CC is obsessed with. Wharton gets MUCH more respect around here than USC’s film program, even though both sub-schools are at the top of their respective fields.</p>

<p>People pick Wharton over Harvard in surprisingly large numbers. That rarely happens anywhere else. (Which is especially relevant here, because we’re measuring schools in milliHarvards :stuck_out_tongue: )</p>

<p>Well, on that note, we’d also have to separate Berkeley’s Chemistry and Engineering schools from the rest of Cal. ;)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The difference is that Wharton, whatever it may be in reality, is basically God on CC, and people worship it as their highway to millionaire-hood. UPenn is looked at more as a backup Ivy for when you fail to get into HYP.</p>

<p>I would fully support doing the same for Georgetown SFS, except that people almost never seem to talk about it on CC. It’s actually quite bizarre.</p>

<p>I do like blbk’s list, but I would put Rice and WUSTL a <em>bit</em> higher and UPenn(non-Wharton), USC, and Emory a bit lower</p>

<p>Harvard: 1000 mH
Yale: 998 mH
Princeton: 998 mH
MIT (or Caltech): 1001mH
Stanford: 995 mH (998 west of the Rockies)
Duke: 990 mH (995 south of the Mason Dixon line)
Columbia: 990 mH
Penn (Wharton): 990 mH
Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Brown: 988 mH
Penn (other than Wharton), Dartmouth: 985 mH
Cornell (CAS and engineering): 980 mH
Chicago: 978 mH
Northwestern, WUSTL, Rice: 975 mH
Johns Hopkins, Emory, Notre Dame (In Catholic schools in the midwest 990 mH), Georgetown, Vanderbilt: 950 mH
University of Virginia: 900 mH (950 in Virginia; 990 in Virginia excluding Northern Virginia)
UC Berkeley: 900 mH
UCLA, CMU, : 880
Tufts: 850 (Safety school)</p>

<p>I might even consider ND=Northwestern. according to some people in admissions ND beats NW 66% to 33% in kids choosing between both. I had never heard of Tufts until I went to college, and at least to me MIT/CIT is more impressive than any Ivy school. And to the people who say no one picks schools bleow the HPYSMIT chasm, you’re wrong. I’ve met someone picking ND over each school on the list.</p>

<p>“YOU CANNOT SEPARATE A SPECIFIC PROGRAM FROM THE UNIVERSITY IT BELONGS TO AND RANK IT ALONGSIDE WITH OTHER COMPLETE INSTITUTIONS.”</p>

<p>You certainly can if there is data available. If there are material differences in selectivity, or “prestigiosity”, or whatever else you might be looking at, among the individual colleges of a multi-college university, then not only can you separate them, but you should. Lest you mislead.</p>

<p>And, no need to yell.</p>

<p>I would give Wharton 998 mH</p>

<p>The percentage of the student population of students who went to Exeter can be a good measure of prestige. Here’s ranking of #students from Exeter/size of each college (undergrad):</p>

<p>Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Harvard
MIT
Georgetown
Tufts
Carnegie Mellon
Johns Hopkins
Columbia
Brown
Stanford
UChicago
Penn
Duke
Cornell
Rice
George Washington
NYU
Vanderbilt
W&M
WashU
University of Vermont
UMichigan
University of New Hampshire
University of Miami
USC
UNC</p>

<p>^ this is atrocious. Don’t you see a trend? They’re almost all on the east coast. You’re going to say the University of Miami is better than WashU and Northwestern? haha OK good luck with that.</p>

<p>R
O
F
L
You guys have now turned this into a reality tv show thread. AWESOME! Oh and everyone knows MIT is 1.000001 mHype. Pshhh.</p>

<p>I would express this as:
If Hype = x, then MIT = x + delta (x) for all values x>0</p>

<p>I have decided to update my list for 2013, in response to US News. Very few changes were needed:</p>

<p>Prestigiosity Ratings (in milliHarvards):</p>

Yale/Princeton: 998 mH
MIT (or Caltech): 997.365782322119 mH
Stanford: 995 mH (998 west of the Mississippi)
Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore: 988 mH
Brown: 987 mH
Chicago: 980 mH
Johns Hopkins, Emory: 950 mH
Tufts, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Wesleyan: 925 mH
University of Virginia: 900 mH (950 in Virginia; 990 in Virginia excluding Northern Virginia)
UCLA, CMU, Notre Dame: 880</p>

<p>CC Darlings (in alphabetical order):
Carleton
Claremont Colleges
Deep Springs
Grinnell
Harvey Mudd
Kenyon
Macalester
Oberlin
Reed
Smith
St. Johns</p>

<p>Slight boost to Chicago. Added Wesleyan and Kenyon. Put Y and P on the same line.</p>

<p>Hunt, Berkeley should have more milliharvards than Emory. After all, according to my grandmother’s friend who’s lived in both Atlanta and San Francisco, Berkeley is the best because a nice boy she knew went there. Also, Emory is in the South so therefore everyone that goes there ends up supporting segregation.</p>

<p>^ Emory and Wash U have a huge number of Northeasterners especially rich, long island jewish kids. So I heard from people who go there</p>

<p>I don’t really meet anyone in the Northeast who consider Emory prestigious though</p>

<p>As I’ve said before, the fact that Berkeley has such a high prestigiosity score is based on all the posts I read about how underrated it is.</p>

<p>Emory is a college with more prestigiosity in some regions of the country than others–it’s simply too much work to adjust the list for all such colleges, although I did it for a few, like Stanford, Duke, and UVA.</p>

<p>In what regions is Emory well-regarded?</p>

<p>Midwest/Northeast/Pacific region I doubt it. </p>

<p>No one cares about Georgia all they have there is Coca Cola</p>

<p>Mind you, I think Emory and less discussed Rice are very good schools, just that people are totally ignorant about how good they are, especially Rice</p>

<p>What matters for prestigiosity is my (highly scientific) evaluation of how the school is regarded by people on College Confidential–a group self-selected to react to prestigiosity. The ignorance of others is irrelevant.</p>

<p>Ah, I see, solid ranking then.</p>

<p>Prestigiosity Ratings (in milliHarvards):</p>

Yale/Princeton: 998 mH
MIT (or Caltech): 997.365782322119 mH
Stanford: 995 mH (998 west of the Mississippi)
Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore: 988 mH
Brown: 987 mH
Chicago: 980 mH
Johns Hopkins, Emory: 950 mH
Tufts, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Wesleyan: 925 mH
Michigan 890 mH
UCLA, CMU, Notre Dame: 880</p>

<p>CC Darlings (in alphabetical order):
Carleton
Claremont Colleges
Deep Springs
Grinnell
Harvey Mudd
Kenyon
Macalester
Oberlin