Ranking Colleges by Prestigiosity

<p>

Hey some of the Jews at Emory are from California! :wink: Also, see my location. </p>

<p>Do schools that have parents who brag about how their child turned down a high prestigiosity institution get negative prestigiosity points since it’s seen as almost unthinkable that someone would turn down the likes of Duke for a (horror of horrors) STATE school?</p>

<p>A school gets negative prestigiosity if I’ve never heard of it.</p>

<p>You should change the units to MilliHunt then. That seems more appropriate for your rankings.</p>

<p>As an Ohio resident I must protest the recent inclusion of Michigan in the prestigiosity rankings. Around here, Michigan is -998MH. </p>

<p>Of course on CC it’s likely that few care what people around here think, since this is the midwest, so perhaps it evens out.</p>

<p>I felt I had to protest nonetheless.</p>

<p>“I felt I had to protest nonetheless.”</p>

<p>Of course you felt that way, you’re from OHIO. If I were from Ohio, I would protest as well. I still remember back to my undergraduate years the words of a very wise professor about his time served as an instructor in Columbus, OH. He said, “The best thing about living in Ohio is that you don’t have to drive all the way through it to get out!” :-)</p>

<p>“Emory is a college with more prestigiosity in some regions of the country than others.”</p>

<p>So is every school you mentioned other than HYPSM.</p>

<p>Insecure Michigan student hhhhmmmph</p>

<p>If we are talking straight prestige among the uneducated masses, I would probably say peasants view all Ivy Leagues in the highest esteem.</p>

<p>

Them, too. But I don’t want the ratings to get too complex.

We’re not talking about the masses though–we’re talking about perceptions of prestige/desirability among the self-selected population of College Confidential.</p>

<p>

I don’t think you actually went through all the threads to come up with the data. You were just making things up. I did notice you are a fan of Duke and I don’t believe Duke is higher than UChicago “among the self-selected population of college confidential”.</p>

<p>

You seem to be a bit confused about my goals. But Duke is high on my list because it’s my perception that a lot of people on CC think very highly of it, and really want to get in. I take detractors into account, of course, as I do for other colleges.</p>

<p>^Yes, I was confused. So you just felt the need to drop <em>your</em> perception to us every now and then (reviving a 3-yr old thread in the process). Your little opinion has been noted.</p>

<p>I will note that even if I used a Magic 8-Ball to make my ratings, some people would feel the need to tell me that I read it wrong, and that Duke is rated too high and Berkeley too low.</p>

<p>Kind of my point, really. Read back over the earlier posts in the thread if you seek enlightenment. If not, just ignore it.</p>

<p>Is there a prestigiousity rank for Bama, since it is the clear affordable-safety favorite here on CC?</p>

<p>PS: Not FROM Ohio nor have I ever, once, seen a football game, but you can’t live here without being aware of THE GAME. Truth is I kinda wish UM was our in-state option. But only since I’ve been on CC and learned how high its prestigiousity ranking is which is now enshrined in hunt’s thread forever :(</p>

<p>You never see people getting chanced for Bama unless their stats are “horrendous” (as in only slightly above the national average), so Bama clearly only gets a few milliharvards, unless you go to the Bama forum where UA is more desirable than literally every school in the country.</p>

<p>LOL. Chanced for the auto-full tuition deal, however…? I guess not, since there isn’t any chance to it, you have the grades/scores or you don’t.</p>

<p>I don’t think Alabama has much prestigiosity–but I think it probably does belong on the list of CC Darlings because of the excellent merit scholarships. CC Darlings are schools that may not have a lot of general prestige, but which are well-thought-of by CC folks who are in the know. So:</p>

<p>Prestigiosity Ratings (in milliHarvards):</p>

<p>Harvard: 1000 mH
Yale/Princeton: 998 mH
MIT (or Caltech): 997.365782322119 mH
Stanford: 995 mH (998 west of the Mississippi)
Duke: 990 mH (995 south of the Mason Dixon line)
Columbia: 990 mH
Penn (Wharton): 990 mH
Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore: 988 mH
Brown: 987 mH
Penn (other than Wharton), Dartmouth: 985 mH
Cornell (CAS and engineering): 980 mH
Chicago: 980 mH
Northwestern, WUSTL, Rice: 975 mH
Johns Hopkins, Emory: 950 mH
Tufts, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Wesleyan: 925 mH
University of Virginia: 900 mH (950 in Virginia; 990 in Virginia excluding Northern Virginia)
UC Berkeley: 900 mH
UCLA, CMU, Notre Dame: 880</p>

<p>CC Darlings (in alphabetical order):
Alabama (for merit scholarships)
Carleton
Claremont Colleges
Deep Springs
Grinnell
Harvey Mudd
Kenyon
Macalester
Oberlin
Reed
Smith
St. Johns</p>

<p>Corrected to your other listing. :-)</p>

<p>Prestigiosity Ratings (in milliHarvards):</p>

University of Virginia: 900 mH (950 in Virginia; 990 in Virginia excluding Northern Virginia)
Michigan 890 mH
UCLA, CMU, Notre Dame: 880</p>

<p>Thanks–pasted the wrong one. It’s vital to ensure that Michigan gets its due!</p>

Michigan 890 mH
UCLA, CMU, Notre Dame: 880 </p>

<p>CC Darlings (in alphabetical order):
Alabama (for merit scholarships)
Carleton
Claremont Colleges
Deep Springs
Grinnell
Harvey Mudd
Kenyon
Macalester
Oberlin
Reed
Smith
St. Johns</p>

<p>I wonder how this list looks right now after the admissions cycle. It would truly be interesting to see if we could compile a list that is almost unanimously agreed on just for fun!</p>