Rant: When school counselors don't do the bare minimum

This x 100.

D20 attended a college orientation zoom (Covid times) where the school put on an hour long “How to succeed at college” talk. I listened along with her and was pleasantly shocked to my core to hear so much specific, actionable advice*. It was a brilliant presentation. Most of the incoming class attended the zoom (based on the stats on zoom).

Very few of D20’s friends/acquaintances even recall the presentation being offered, let alone remember the incredible advice.

• The advice ranged from how to access additional help via campus resources, how to create connections with potential mentors, how to build your network starting day one, how to get a job on campus, how to access career services, etc. It was all specific, step by step instructions and advice. Invaluable, and yet - in one ear and out the other for most.
6 Likes

My kids’ GC (both had the same as they are assigned alphabetically) was a private college counselor before coming to our HS (and also worked in admissions before that). We’ve totally lucked out (not all are as strong).

5 Likes