rating the high scchool

<p>In our high school we have college nights where the parents can question the directors of admissions from the local and top schools in the country. I know that the colleges have a rating book on high schools. I use this board because I enjoy the interaction, but any student that has Navience can easily see if they will be accepted by using the graph function. In our high school there were students that weren't in the top 100 that gained admission to ivy league schools. I have heard that other schools in our state where students have graduated valedictorian and didn't gain admission to UCONN. Some of my friends have paid professional tutors to ensure that their childs SAT's were over 2200. The high school really matters, please make sure that your parents are rich (laugh!!!)</p>

<p>Admissions change year to year. Kids were rejected last year who would have been first round admits a few years ago. Past trends do not guarantee future results.</p>

<p>Is not a blanket statement. If you apply to 10 schools and you are clearly in the acceptance range then you will get into most. I was surprised with UW last year because my son was clearly in the range, 100% of students in his school with his grades and SAT scores were accepted. UW went on a deferred kick last year, maybe it was because of the new admissions people. The other schools that my son applied accepted him within weeks. I thought UW was a good value. If money was no object (I HAVE 3 KIDS 2 IN COLLEGE) my son would have gone to NYU business, he was very ****ed to be deferred at UW.</p>

<p>There were many unhappy people around here last year who ended up rejected when they thought UW was a sure thing if not a safety. Apps have gone up markedly and so has the quality of many of the applicants so what was very true just a couple years ago was not true this year and probably will be even less true this cycle. We just don’t like seeing people getting upset because some chart said their odds were 80% or 90%. They could easily get another 3000 apps this year and that means lots more rejections of better students. Class size is fixed. When I see the chance me threads and some kid says–“I got in 3 years ago with those stats so you are in”, it’s really not helping.</p>

<p>UW dropped their chances chart on the admissions site a couple of years ago. Perhaps because the test scores and grades giving certain odds have changed a lot recently. The old numbers are no longer valid.</p>

<p>We’re in the Midwest, far from the craziness that seems to exist on the East coast. Most HS students here will be in their public schools, more often better than their (typically religious) private counterparts. No choices for HS- you go where you live (school choice between schools/districts only practical in urban areas with more than one school district- those schools will pretty much be on par with each other so as to not lose students). UW admissions seems to take this into consideration- students from small town schools are not penalized for lacking opportunities found at some HS’s. In fact, some parents have voiced complaints how near top students at their top HS didn’t get into UW. UW will not use weighted grades, but will look at the rigor offered and consider whether a student took advantage of the opportunities available. No Naviance around here- only knowledge of its existence is from CC.</p>

<p>The graph shows the last 3 years. In our school about 25 students apply a year three quarters are accepted and less than 5 attend. We have 3 times more applying to Michagan, but most use it as their safe school. Most top schools (stanford Ivies MIT cal tech…) only accept a certain amount in our county, this really hurts the other 30 plus schools in the county. As an example Harvard may not accept any students from three quarter of our schools, we had 7 accepts. In our school a grade of ‘B’ in an honors AP class is an ‘A’ in 99% of all schools.</p>

<p>So special…</p>

<p>The price is a 2M home.</p>

<p>So impressed…</p>

<p>justw… Sounds like most who are accepted from your area don’t really want to go to UW- makes us not care much about your school/situation. So glad to be away from the areas where people care more about personal financial status and less about funding their public universities to attain the levels many midwestern U’s do. Students here who go to the public schools do pass the AP exams, and students get 5’s on them. I’d be more impressed with school systems on the east coast if most public schools could boast good AP exam scores instead of the rich getting the lion’s share of the educational resources. Students here may get a “lesser” HS education but more than make up for it with their public flagship educational opportunities.</p>

<p>Enough of the nasty remarks from all of us. Most kids are stuck where their parents raised them. The east coast may have many advantages along with the disadvantages but also makes the college application process so much more stressful with the huge numbers of students and smaller private colleges needing so many applications before everyone gets sorted into an appropriate school. So much easier for top students here to target one or two of the instate flagships and know they can utilize Honors programs to get a great education.</p>

<p>AP course grades don’t matter- AP test scores do. We don’t need/want to know how many who got course A’s also got test 5’s. You seem to live in an area where there is a great maldistribution of wealth and school quality. Around here the rich and poor generally live blocks from each other and have equal educational opportunities. Pros and cons to everywhere. btw- $2M worth of house there may cost less than half that here, you can get so much more for your money and with short commutes, etc. </p>

<p>The bottom line- Apples and oranges comparisons. Intellectually and otherwise satisfying jobs and lifestyles here, too. HS ratings don’t count as much as what the student does with the opportunities available to them. Better academically to have an advanced top school degree after a lesser college than only a bachelors from an elite college.</p>