Ready to do away with almost all College Sports

@Mwfan1921 While I agree in principle with your line of thinking, at Harvard every admittance is a “gift” when the overall rate is 5%.

Is that really true? Meaning that US higher ed institutions are the only ones in the world with organized sports? If so, that’s amazing, and I honestly didn’t know that.

I guess I need to get around more!

ETA: I did see in Wikipedia that Canada does too, but generally only up to the tuition and fees. Possibly the UK in limited instances. Athletic scholarship - Wikipedia . Still, something really interesting for sure.

Yes, it’s true. Colleges in Europe and Asia are exclusively institutes of higher education, and students who want to play a sport join a club or other local organization. Similarly, there are no equivalents as far as I know of Greek life. Kids go outside to seek social experiences.

I guess it comes down to societal expectations. There’s no right or wrong way - it’s just what a society/culture expects. In Europe and Asia college is all about academics. Here in America college is “an experience” and people expect a blend of experiences.

3 Likes

It’s not every day that one sees an REO Speedwagon reference . . .

6 Likes

For historical context, the term Big Three arose from the national prominence of Harvard, Yale and Princeton in football. For cultural context, Stover at Yale (1912) offers perspective on this period.

Can CC posters flag a moderator for being off-topic?

1 Like

I hate to be so pedantic as to point out that I have information to which you are not privy, but for the record, I am not moderating this thread, nor have I flagged any posts.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

8 Likes

Yes

1 Like

Done!

:popcorn::popcorn::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes