Reapplying ED

If the NPC is inaccurate, it could be very misleading for a student who has very significant financial need.

But agree…applying a second time to Smith shouldn’t be the only application of importance to them. This kid needs to have a variety of colleges that could meet their academic, social and financial needs.

And as noted by others…they need to be very careful that their current college courses don’t make them viewed as a transfer student.

And if they can only afford at most $5k, regardless of what the schools determine, they might as well apply to one of the schools that guarantees to meet need and is need blind.

Then the student won’t have to worry about the aware part causing an issue.

And if admitted and the cost is too much , then they weren’t coming anyway.

Since Smith is the OPs top choice AND the OP has affordable back-up options in her home country then IMO it is fine to apply ED to Smith again (give the application your best effort) as long as she understands the chance of admittance with sufficient aid is not great.

1 Like

They meet need. So if admitted and has need she’ll get.

But they are aware. If the student needs that much, it’s a possible reason for rejection.

Bu I see your point on affordable alternatives so why not ?

1 Like

Understood she will get aid if admitted. Also understand that the need for significant financial aid may lead to a rejection. In addition, there is no guarantee that Smith’s idea of “full need” aid is what the OP’s family hopes to get.

3 Likes

As a test-optional international student with this budget, I don’t have any additional recommendations, unfortunately. I agree with @MYOS1634’s post #17.

Also if the OPs family budget is $5k max she will probably need a full ride scholarship. I expect the family’s $5k contribution will be needed for transportation, medical insurance, books, and anything else not covered by a full scholarship.

2 Likes

Funds for full ride internationals at full need colleges are strictly institutional and limited. Betwee 2 excellent students, one if whom can afford 20k and the other needs a full ride, the student who can afford 20k will be admitted as well as another who only needs a 20k scholarship. For internationals with high need, that factor trumps everything.
Now, OP could hope to be that one student from her country who’ll get a full ride but Smith already said no and colleges don’t say “oops we made a mistake last year”.
OP has only one shot at ED.
Smith may have been perfect but has said no.
As a high need international, her best odds are at a need blind college or she can roll the dice and hope she’ll be one of a handful admitted at another need aware college (in that case MHC is the likeliest target.)

1 Like