Received invitation to Women's Preview Weekend - College of Engineering - Good sign?

<p>Long time lurker but have to post this question...</p>

<p>I applied regular decision to VA Tech College of Engineering. Needless to say I have been a nervous wreck since applying and now wish I had just applied early decision. I have already been accepted to my other schools, but VT is the place I have felt most comfortable and at home.</p>

<p>Anyway, I receive this invitation via email today. The weekend is April 14 - 15. In one place, the website indicates it is for prospective students. In another, it indicates it is for those being offered admission to the College of Engineering. </p>

<p>Anyone have any knowledge one way or the other? Does it mean I am (or will be) accepted? Surely, they wouldn't invite people to a weekend after the decision notification if they didn't at least consider the student a good applicant. Do they invite all females that apply to the College of Engineering?</p>

<p>Does anyone have any experience with the weekend? Is it beneficial?</p>

<p>I am not one to ask for my chances, etc. Just looking for a little ray of sunshine. Every day my friends and classmates are hearing back from their schools and it is just making waiting so much harder. </p>

<p>Thanks for any input.</p>

<p>It’s a good sign since it means you’re a girl that’s applying for engineering.</p>

<p>“It’s a good sign since it means you’re a girl that’s applying for engineering.”</p>

<p>Thanks for the reply. I imagine it would have been an even better sign if I were a boy and received the invitation. ;)</p>

<p>For what it is worth, I received my answer in an email from VT today confirming my registration for the Preview Weekend. The email advised they would await word from Admissions on my acceptance before sending any additional information on the program. VT is holding my spot until official admissions offers go out “by April 1”. I take this to mean it was sent to every female that applied to Engineering. </p>

<p>Back to lurking…</p>

<p>For what it’s worth: Our son is a Freshman at VT in the College of Engineering. He did not apply ED as he was also considering the Air Force Academy, to which he received a nomination from our congressman. In February of 2011, he received a letter letting him know that he was a “candidate” (or something to that effect) for University Honors at VT. At that point, he logged into his VT account and status had been changed to “admitted” !!. However, it did not indicate whether it was admitted to Engineering or University Studies (which is what an ENG applicant will be admitted to if he is not admitted into the Engineering College but VT still wants the applicant to attend VT). We had to wait until the official letter arrived to find out that he had indeed been admitted into the College of Engineering. We never received a letter inviting him to any sort of invite for a weekend prior to any of this. So, I guess I’m suggesting that you check your admitted status regularly starting in Feb. because, had our son not rec’d the letter regarding the University Honors program, he would not have checked his status until after receiving a letter. He knew more than a month in advance of most other regular decision students that he had been accepted to VT, but not by any proactive notice from VT (other than the letter indicating that he qualified for University Honors). There IS a formula for all of this… we just are not privy to it! But checking your on-line status is as good way to find out as soon as a decision has been made by VT. Again, it may tell you that you are admitted but may not let you know that you are admitted into ENG or Architecture etc. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Thanks Vamom, I hadn’t thought about the Honors program. </p>

<p>I did receive a different email from the Center for Enhancement of Engineering Diversity at Tech explaining the program and encouraging me to “strongly consider attending VT.” I then get a second email later in the day clarifying that the original email was sent to all that had APPLIED to the College of Engineering and that the Admissions office would notify me if and when I was accepted so who knows. I do find it funny how every email is worded as if they are waiting on me to decide when in actuality it is a reverse situation.</p>

<p>Anyway, thank you for the insight. I really do appreciate it. I will most definitely keep an eye on my online admission status.</p>