Recommendations for Research oriented STEM [math, CS] programs

CMU is definitely a consideration.
The state schools while strong, I feel are not that much stronger than Pitt and Penn State as to pay significantly higher prices.

The only OOS options I am considering at the moment are Purdue (because even with OOS, it is quite affordable), UNC (because of the Chancellors Science Program and the well known academics), and UVA (I really like the Echols Scholars program and I want to at least apply)

Oh ok, that actually sounds extremely appealing, especially with the already good price of Purdue.

1 Like

I forgot all about UIUC, it has a fantastic program that I will definitely consider, and maybe even apply. The reach schools like Northwestern and Duke are certainly very strong academically, so I will definitely look into the combination programs at these schools

1 Like

This is because of the co-ops students do
paid job experience that adds to their resume before graduation and often leads to jobs or connections to get jobs.

1 Like

Yes, the Co-Op program is certainly very strong and may be helpful later on. Though this is all valid, I would prefer a four year program where I could potentially do summer internships or research.

Both Penn State and Pitt offer you great opportunities.

1 Like

Georgia Tech would be affordable. Scholarships are few and extremely competitive but COA would just be under $55k. AP credits make graduating early a possibility. S20 should graduate early with internships and a co-op.

Don’t underestimate a school like CMU and the opportunities it offers compared to a state school like Pitt. If it’s unaffordable then take it off the list but the school offers more. Certainly worth a visit. I’m a Pitt grad from many years ago.

Oh ok, I was under the impression that GaTech was actually more unaffordable than it really is. I ran the NPC and it certainly fits budgetary restrictions.

With CMU, I think it’s a fantastic university that I will definitely consider.

Among their other attributes, all of these schools offer excellent math programs.

Northeastern has modified it’s co-op program so that everything can now be completed in 4 years.

Why ? Why do Michigan or UCLA hold status on overspend vs many other schools that may or may fit your needs better ?

1 Like

Good point. That’d probably be something that OP (or anyone else interested in CS at Reed) should look into.

It appears that the OP has stated that these schools are out of their budget range, and therefore will not be considered.

3 Likes

If your goal is research and graduate school, you need depth in an area you’d like to do research in, which isn’t necessarily consistent with multiple majors. Find an area you’re deeply interested in and make sure you take the courses that are relevant, whether they’re part of one major or another. Most importantly, look for colleges that offer in-depth research opportunities in that area.

1 Like

The M&T program marries STEM and Business. I

I wasn’t sure what you meant by that. I thought perhaps you also wanted to take some business courses.

Here is the M&T program: https://fisher.wharton.upenn.edu/

My son with similar stats (1570 SAT, 14 AP classes, NMF) is thriving as a sophomore at Wesleyan. He enjoys being in a liberal arts college environment with friends/teammates from many different non-STEM and STEM majors rather than being surrounded by only overstressed STEM kids.

The STEM classes are intense, but as there are few gen ed requirements and he placed out of most 100 level courses, he was able to declare a triple major of Math, Physics and CS this past September and hopes to start graduate courses in math junior year (offered to advanced undergraduates along with a free 5th year to get a Masters). He worked on an independent study math project with a grad student his freshman year.

There are undergraduate research opportunities readily available for each STEM major during the school year and summer. He is planning on TAing a Data Analysis course this coming spring semester.

5 Likes

Are you interested in basic CS, research, math research or research on some other topic using math/CS?

The list of places that you can’t do a double major in math/CS is likely very small. It may be a little harder in places where CS is in the Engineering College.

1 Like

If you research Wesleyan, look into, in particular, its Quantitative Analysis Center, which supports topics of inquiry across a wide range of disciplines. Additionally, Wesleyan offers a minor in data analysis.

1 Like

Ok, that is interesting. I will be sure to check out the program and scheduling, etc.

That is absolutely logical, but I haven’t necessarily narrowed down to a specific topic that I want to research at this point. I love both mathematics and computer science, but the I have not explored enough of either to really be sure about a specific topic. Although, at the moment I am considering either Algorithms or some computational areas of geometry. For this reason I would like a university where I could explore both majors and explore different things. If I need to spend more time learning one field in depth, I am more than willing to do a summer semester or some other resource.