Recommendations for Research oriented STEM [math, CS] programs

Hello,
I am a Junior at a PA public high school.

GPA: 4.0
Classes: 14 AP and 7 Honors by graduation
SAT: 1540 (I might retake this or take the ACT later on)
Extracurriculars: I Co-authored a research paper about immunotherapy through computational methods, I did an online internship where I analyzed and found data through different databases with a researcher at the University of Maryland, I co-founded a club centered around volunteering and tutoring to better the community, I participated in Math League for 2 yrs, I did robotics for 2 yrs, I won a school level award for robotics, I am currently doing an internship for a college task manager website, I taught a brief workshop on java for 10 meetings, I have a number of computer related certifications, and I have a youtube channel where I discuss a trading card game.

Major: Computer Science and Mathematics

I am considering graduate school in some intersection of the two subjects.

I would like to be recommended programs that I can use for building a college list. I would like a program with enough flexibility where I can potentially major in both mathematics and computer science or undergo a joint degree program with the subjects. I would also like if there were opportunities or specific programs dedicated to undergraduate research.

*This is not necessary, but I would also prefer a university that is not dominated by STEM majors alone. I would prefer some diversity with business majors and philosophy majors, etc.

Cost is a consideration but not a major concern, and I also do not necessarily feel comfortable speaking about finances online. Needless to say though, I will run the NPC for all recommended schools to see if they are within the budget.

Currently, I am heavily considering Penn State with its many research programs, Pittsburgh with its Bachelor of Philosophy, and some reach schools like Brown and Chicago for their flexibility and research.
Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions!

To combine these two disciplines as an undergraduate, consider a major in data science. Your research, then, could consist of using tools from mathematics and computer science toward a deeper understanding of a field chosen, by you, as an “applied domain.”

You should look at Princeton. There are substantial resources available for research in your area of interest. There is no business school attached, but a lot of kids go into business type jobs as well. Also you could consider the M&T program at UPenn. Cost is a consideration. But if you are considering Chicago and Brown, no reason not to consider the above two. Princeton has one of the most generous need based aid programs amongst the various colleges.

1 Like

I may be biased, but UCLA is a very good option for both Math and CS, and has a Math of Computation major if you want to do both!

I think many colleges can handle. Depends on your budget and need aid but check out northeastern.

I thought Lehigh had a program but not seeing it.

Likely at most any major school will have a way to combine your interests but with your portfolio you can reach for the stars. It’s awesome you like Penn State and Pitt, both great safeties.

Good luck.

I would think that you’d have a better chance of doing research as an undergrad at a small liberal arts college than at a large research university like Penn State.

I’d look first at liberal arts colleges with an emphasis on STEM, for example:

Union College
Wesleyan
Swarthmore
Lafayette
Washington & Lee
Harvey Mudd

Some small liberal arts colleges are research powerhouses and I’d look at them as well, for example:

Amherst
Williams
Bowdoin
Pomona
Carleton
Vasssar

If you’re going to look at research universities, smaller ones probably offer more opportunities for undergrad research, for example:

Cal Tech
Rice
Chicago
Princeton
Dartmouth
Yale
Rochester

Just my 2 cents . . .

2 Likes

Can the poster pay the full cost of attendance at UCLA?

1 Like

You certainly don’t need to discuss your finances on this forum, but if you tell us your budget it will guide us in providing recommendations. There is no point in us suggesting schools that are going to be unaffordable.

2 Likes

For these criteria, especially with respect to strength in mathematics; research opportunities, such as through a lab-based computer science program; the availability of interdisciplinary programs, such as in data science and bioinformatics; and a notably flexible curriculum in general, look into Hamilton.

1 Like

Pitt would be a nice option. Apply early. Also apply to the Honors program.

If it’s affordable I would think CMU should be on the list.

You have some familiarity with Maryland. I would add that to the list. NC State could work as a match. You probably would be competitive for Parks. Solid CS and math departments.

1 Like

Purdue allows for a CS/Math double major and there are tons of research opportunities for undergrads.

2 Likes

This is a list of schools I’d give consideration to, with a range of sizes, from small to large as well as selectivity, from likelies to reaches. As you’re happy with Penn State and Pitt there’s really no need to add on many other big state schools since they’re so strong, though UIUC might still be worth a gander. These schools also all have a CS & Math combo major, or a computational math, or something similar, in addition to two separate majors.

• Bowdoin (ME): about 2k undergrads

• Colgate (NY): about 3100 undergrads

• DePaul (IL): About 14k undergrads

• Duke (NC): About 7k undergrads

• Emory (GA): About 7k undergrads

• Loyola Chicago (IL): About 12k undergrads

• Northwestern (IL): About 9k undergrads

• Rice (TX): About 4k undergrads

• Reed (OR): About 1500 undergrads

• Swarthmore (PA ): About 1700 undergrads

• U. of Illinois – Urbana Champaign: About 35k undergrads

• Washington U. (MO): About 8k undergrads

With respect to undergraduate research opportunities, this site from U.S. News can serve as a source of ideas for colleges to look into further: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/undergrad-research-programs.

1 Like

Have the staffing issues in Reed’s CS department been resolved? When we visited in the summer, we were struck by the pitiful flyers made by students, complaining of inadequate staffing making it impossible to graduate on time.

Ok, thank you for bringing this up as it is a valid point. The only schools I would consider out of my budget range would be out of state public schools that cost more than 55k and generally give little aid like the UCs or UMich.

This is interesting, I might look into the course of study for data science majors.

Princeton and UPenn are certainly great schools that I have little issue applying to, although what is the M&T program? I searched it and I think it is a business related program which I do not think is what I personally would like to study. Thank you for the suggestions though.

Northeastern is certainly a great school, but I personally do not want to do a 5-yr bachelors degree which I think is the main focus of Northeastern, although I may be wrong.

Yes, I was thinking of looking into Swarthmore, Williams, and Harvey Mudd. I have heard they are all fantastic, so I will certainly consider them.

I have actually never heard of this school before, but I will look into it. It sounds like it is a relatively interdisciplinary education.