"Recommended for ELC"?

<p>What does “recommended for ELC” mean? A friend’s son, who is in the top 8%, was congratulated in a letter from the UC system for being “recommended for ELC”. So, that and a dollar will get him what???</p>

<p>If he's a senior he might be "QOT". I don't think it means much but check out post # 3 here</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-davis/458616-elc-guaranteed-admission-davis.html#post1059761561%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-davis/458616-elc-guaranteed-admission-davis.html#post1059761561&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>you can also google "UC QOT"</p>

<p>I love how if you google UC QOT, you get this exact thread. Haha!</p>

<p>oops. Maybe QOT UC. Here's what I got;</p>

<p>Director Wilbur also provided the committee with a report on the outcomes of the Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) transcript evaluation process for the high school class of 2006-07. Each year high schools are asked to submit the transcripts of the top 12.5 percent of students who have just completed the 11thgrade. Nearly 100 percent of public and public charter high schools submit transcripts for UC’s ELC evaluation process. The University evaluates these transcripts and classifies each student in one of three categories:
1. Eligible in the Local Context (ELC): These students have completed a required pattern of 11 ‘a-g’ courses, and based on a UC-calculated GPA, have attained at least a 3.0 GPA and are ranked in the top 4 percent of their high school class.
2. Qualified on Track (QOT): These students have completed a required pattern of eleven ‘a-g’ courses, and based on a UC-calculated GPA, have attained at least a 3.0 GPA, but are not ranked in the top 4 percent of their high school class.
3. Not ELC Qualified (NEQ): These students have not completed a required pattern of 11 ‘a-g’ courses and/or have not attained at least a 3.0 GPA</p>

<p>Thanks Shrinkwrap, I think that helps. I'm sure he's completed more than the 11 required courses and I'm also sure he's got better than a 3.0, so he must be QOT. I KNEW he was a strong candidate--funny how we have such difficulty seeing that about our own kids, but not so much with others'.</p>

<p>I am 24 out of 379.
Am I eligible for ELC?</p>

<p>Since it's top 4%. You would need to be 15th in your class to be ELC so your'e QOT. Somehow, I think you could have done that yourself.</p>

<p>When Calculating and considering students for ELC the UC system does not us class rank as a factor. There are several cases where the number 1 ranked student is not selected for ELC. Please see Submission</a> Information for information on how ELC is decided.</p>

<p>I was Top 5% of my class, and I got a letter saying that I'm a QOT. So do the UCs know that I was part of the top 12.5% whose transcripts were sent?</p>

<p>^^If you recieved a letter from UC, then yes, it came from the transcripts submitted by your HS.</p>

<p>Hi,
I received a letter from the UC’s, but it does not tell me that I received ELC. I am in the top 4% of my class. My UC GPA calculated using this site: [CaliforniaColleges.edu</a> - Calculating Your GPA](<a href=“http://www.californiacolleges.edu/admissions/california-state-university-csu/gpa_calculator.asp#calculator]CaliforniaColleges.edu”>http://www.californiacolleges.edu/admissions/california-state-university-csu/gpa_calculator.asp#calculator) is a 3.87 GPA. I do not understand why I did not receive an ELC code. If you could help explain why/why not, that would be great.
Thank you!</p>

<p>UC calculates your gpa by its own standards, period. It matters not how your high school calculates it.</p>

<p>Two differences I see in methodology of the link that you posted: 1) ELC is based on uncapped gpa, i.e., no limit to bonus points; 2) honors bonus points are only awarded to UC-approved honors courses. For example, Honors Algebra II at your high school might be considered ‘Honors’ at your HS, but UC does not consider any Alg II ‘honors’ for the bonus point.</p>

<p>The best thing to do is ask your GC who can tell you exactly what the ELC cutoff was for your HS.</p>