Regents panel recommends Rebecca Blank as next UW-Madison chancellor

<p>Regents panel recommends Rebecca Blank
as next UW-Madison chancellor</p>

<p>Students, faculty and staff,</p>

<p>Rebecca M. Blank, acting secretary of the United States Department of Commerce, has been recommended as the next chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin System President Kevin Reilly announced today, Monday, March 18.</p>

<p>The full Board of Regents is scheduled to vote on the recommendation April 5. If confirmed, Blank would succeed Interim Chancellor David Ward and could begin in July.</p>

<p>Blank has had a distinguished career spanning both academia and government, but says she looks forward to returning to her higher education roots.</p>

<p>"I am both delighted and honored to receive this offer and delighted and honored to accept it," Blank says. "Wisconsin is a world-class university, and the opportunity to provide leadership with first-class groups of staff and faculty is exciting."</p>

<p>In addition to her leadership role at the Department of Commerce, Blank is a former fellow at the Brookings Institution and served as dean of the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan. She holds degrees from the University of Minnesota and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and previously taught at MIT, Princeton University, Northwestern University and the University of Michigan.</p>

<p>"Dr. Blank is uniquely prepared to lead UW-Madison, coming to us with broad national and international experience in roles where big science and big research intersect with job creation and commercialization," Reilly says.</p>

<p>To learn more about Rebecca M. Blank, including a full biography, CV, personal statement, photos and video, visit the chancellor search website. University</a> of Wisconsin-Madison: Chancellor Search</p>

<p>[Paul</a> Fanlund: Behind the scenes in choosing UW?s new chancellor : Ct](<a href=“http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/writers/paul_fanlund/paul-fanlund-behind-the-scenes-in-choosing-uw-s-new/article_6eb968f6-9022-11e2-9ecf-0019bb2963f4.html]Paul”>Paul Fanlund: Behind the scenes in choosing UW’s new chancellor)</p>

<p>I am satisified with that choice. I liked Schill too but seems she has backing of WI gov and industry. That’s huge.</p>

<p>i misread the name as Rebecca Black lol.</p>

<p>She seems to tick all the boxes: connections on both sides of the aisle; B1G experience as a Dean; science with sympathy to the humanities; fund raiser; Midwesterner. David Ward has done a good job holding everything together. Beginning July 1, 2013 we have our own personnel system with lots of changes to be implemented and created, begin a moderate separation from the state; and have a new Chancellor. Interesting times ahead.</p>