Registering a car

<p>Hello, we are buying a used car at a dealership in Tuscaloosa. My daughter will not be 19 until May so we will have to purchase the car in our name. She lives in a dorm now but we will be signing a lease on an apartment for next school year. Does anyone know the rules of registering a car in Tuscaloosa? The dealership said it would be no problem but it does say on the website that proof of residency is required. Does anyone happen to know?</p>

<p>She will need bill of sale, title, proof of residency (lease, power bill, cable bill, etc.), drivers license. Go to the tag office downtown (behind sheriff’s department).</p>

<p>I just noticed the car will not be in her name, so she won’t be able to do it. The tag will need to be from your home state in your name.</p>

<p>She would also need proof of insurance. I would check with an agent in Tuscaloosa about insurance regulations. If they will allow her to have a policy at age 18, you would first transfer the title to her name and them purchase a policy in her name. Add the proof of insurance to the list above and she would be set.</p>

<p>I can recommend a State Farm agent on University Boulevard, Tracy Sova, 205 554 1455.</p>

<p>Just an FYI… if a car is registered in the student’s name, they need their own insurance which is typically more expensive than being on their parents’ policy. Sometimes much more expensive.</p>

<p>That’s what we were afraid of, Lattelady. We were surprised to find that, in our case, it didn’t raise the cost. When veined with a renter’s policy it actually saved us nearly $50 even after we increased the coverage on the renter’s policy. This may vary depending upon the company and coverage, but we have State Farm.</p>

<p>bamagirls, that’s good! It’s been more expensive for my boys. One of them we just quoted but for the other one, once we deeded a family car over to him, he was required to get his own policy and it went up. We were concerned about it because a local (Dallas) friend whose son goes to school outside of Chicago got an unhappy surprise when their son bought a car and had to take out a policy and it was much more expensive. I’m sure ages, gender and location all play a part (as well as driving records, etc). They weren’t able to cover him on their policy since they didn’t own the car.</p>