Reject Train Going Full Speed

So I suspect you live in the suburbs so College of DuPage and as mentions Oakton Community College are great choices. My son goes to Michigan and took engineering physics 2 and Calc 3 there last summer. and it was not easy. He said the instruction was great and the tests harder then what he thought they would be.

Michigan is extremely picky on transfer credits and OCC was not an issue. The city of Chicago one’s didn’t transfer for his classes. But if you live in Chicago the community colleges are free if you went to a Chicago Public School and maintained a “b” avg. That’s for 2 years.

Also talk with Illinois Institute of technology. https://science.iit.edu/pre-medicine

They are known to give Chicago kids full rides. Many at my sons school got them. They place kids in professions nicely also.

So sorry! Rice was really competitive this year. How many schools do you have left to hear from? It’s hard to imagine that some school wouldn’t realize what a great candidate you are despite your financial challenges.

Still 10 (technically 13) schools left. This includes the Ivies, Stanford, Duke, and a waitlist offer (or rejection) from Carleton, MIT, and Case Western (but nobody gets off the MIT waitlist)

Rice had 24000 applications for 1800 spots rd.

HKim you are incredibly disadvantaged applying as an international student and not full pay. It’s a fact.

And it says nothing about you or the quality of your application.

If you apply next year with a green card resident status and have a productive gap year - to the same exact schools and don’t get in one of the schools beside UIUC dm me. I’ll buy your books for first semester.

And I have zero worries that I’ll have to pay a penny.

Oh wow, I don’t think I realized you still had so many irons left in the fire. All appendages crossed!

“It ain’t over til it’s over.”
And if it doesn’t work out this year, several.of us will offer help going forward.

Thanks. It seems like a lot, but then again, most of them are Ivies + Stanford…

I do think my Yale and Penn essays are my best yet, though - but so did the tens of thousands of the REA applicants :stuck_out_tongue:

I am very interested to see what happens in your Brown decision. They always seem to make some great decisions around unique situations.

I’ve been checking in on this thread now and then and rooting for you, and finally signed up for an account so I could weigh in. I just want to make sure I understand the issue. You’ve been admitted to University of Illinois - a fine option if none of the others pan out. But you can’t attend because your citizenship status makes you ineligible for in-state tuition and/or financial aid, thus making it financially impossible? (Apologies if this should be clear to me from the earlier posts on the thread; I think that’s what you’re saying but I wasn’t certain.)

Re: #228

Yes, UIUC and UIC are unaffordable to the OP.

Not any direct help, but tonight there’s a comedy show that has an informative segment about MAVNI. Their process is to try and make their videos viral to raise awareness, so they copy the stupid antics of viral YouTube videos (very meta ;)) Look up Samantha Bee on YouTube.

Maybe someone can offer you a pint of your favorite ice cream. Doesn’t have to be Ben and Jerry’s. :slight_smile: Or a book by a favorite author. But you deserve something :slight_smile: for the next two days.

I haven’t been this emotionally invested in a CC decision outcome since the quadruplet brothers from Ohio thread http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1934926-should-quadruplet-brothers-apply-to-the-same-prestigious-universities-p1.html of two years ago!

:slight_smile:

@HKimPOSSIBLE I’ve been thinking more about the title of your post…a reject train going full speed…and i wonder if its time for a metaphor update…that is, you’re the conductor. You haven’t come across a station where you want to stop…either the doors look closed or the entrance fee too pricey…so you keep going down the track, looking for a place called home. But you’re still the conductor, the train is solid, and the track is success-bound. If you enter college in fall 2020 vs fall 2019, you are going to do great. One year seems long to you now because of the logarithmic scale of time…(that is, the idea is that we perceive a period of time as the proportion of time we have already lived through. To you, a year is a BIG DEAL. To me, it’s poof.)

Anyway, good things are ahead for you…whether it’s in 13 days or 13 months.

=/
At this point just hoping that Case Western might offer me a spot.

^you were wait listed - for internationals who need financial aid, it means “we wish we could admit you, we really would, but we can’t afford to admit you”. Consider it a polite “no”. Hoping would not help you.

Either the need blind/meet full need universities come through - you only need ONE - or you need to prepare, psychologically, mentally, for a gap year. Try to think of things you’d like to do if you don’t go to college next year. As you know, there are lots of people here to help you.

I looked a bit more into Brown and it looks like they consider DACA as domestic students - which is fantastic to see. Other schools are Need blind for DACA, but doesn’t seem like that translates to DACA=Domestic evaluation.

Hopefully Brown gives you an admit.

Hopefully, I hope I do get admitted, but realistically, I’m keeping my expectations low to none. Looking back, my GPA is kind of low. My UW is pretty low for these top schools and compared to my peers, my EC’s aren’t as flashy; though my GC says I am in the top 10% of my class.

Another edit: Cornell also considers me as domestic!

Now your father has a green card and soon you will too. Will either of you being working? Would that change your ability to pay for UCI? If you get your green card this summer, will being able to send in the FAFSA and get Pell and loans be enough?

If you have to go to Korea to get your green card, would you even be able to start school in Sept?

You may have some acceptances at the end of the week, but if you don’t everything isn’t over. You might be able to work out UCI, or you might have to put everything off for a year but that’s not the end of the world either. You’d have a year to work, to organize your military options, to reapply to the schools you really want to attend. Your application will be very different as a permanent resident.

I’m not sure if I mentioned this before, but Columbia was the ONLY college (at least from the colleges I applied to) that asked explicitly if I was a DACA recipient on the Common App. I’m not sure how to interpret that but I’m guessing they’re keeping eyes open for DACA students?