Rejected by 12/13 colleges, 1550, 4.0, & 20 college classes [including college junior level math]

I continue to be impressed with you and your posts.

11 Likes

Interestingly I bumped into a post last night where someone was asking about science class choices and referring to this video by UVAā€™s Dean J

Towards the end she specifically mentions kids ā€œwho make the mistakeā€ of giving up a science class in favor of depth in a particular area, thinking that is better. While I find OPs mathematical achievements incredibly impressive, she is pretty clear about wanting to see all 5 core subjects for each of the 4 years.

6 Likes

You may want to contact the math department there to see if it has enough math offerings for you, since you did not seem impressed by the math course listings in its course catalog linked upthread.

If you are still not decided by May 1, matriculate to WSU. If you later decide on Tulsa or anywhere else, you can de-matriculate from WSU to matriculate to the other school. But you will retain the option of going to WSU.

2 Likes

Hmm. It would appear I am now faced with a problem I wasnā€™t expecting to need a serious answer to before applying to grad schools. Tulsaā€™s math department isnā€™t purely applied, itā€™s just focused on analysis (which from some of the course titles made me think it was applied). If I want to study analysis, then Tulsaā€™s a great choice, but I donā€™t really know if thatā€™s the case yet. Iā€™ve taken a number of advanced math courses, but real analysis wasnā€™t one of them.

The fact that going to Tulsa would require making that kind of choice before I feel ready to make it probably means it isnā€™t the right choice. But since other aspects of the school appeal to me, itā€™s hard not to wonder.

For anybody who ended up majoring in math, how did you decide what area of math to pursue? Iā€™ll have to choose eventually. A part of me wants to pursue mathematical physics, and for that Iā€™d think analysis would be a logical choice, but what I find interesting and what I enjoy doing might not align there. I definitely struggled with integrals more than anything else Iā€™ve done with math.

4 Likes

Can the President of the university (I mean itā€™s so cool he is actually talking to a prospective studentā€¦invested in you)ā€¦.can he set you up with a math faculty? Or perhaps you can reach out to one such as the sept chair in the AM.

Wow, how awesome is it the love they are showing?

Glad you are investigating further.

11 Likes

It was through talking to a math professor that I found out about the analysis stuff. The professor is at a function right now so the conversation is on hold, but thatā€™s what Iā€™ve gathered from it so far. For analysis, the program seems quite good, but I wouldnā€™t be able to study Galois theory there, for example. (Iā€™m not actually that invested in Galois theory, to be clear, it was an example of something fairly advanced in my initial post, I donā€™t know I want to study it in particular)

I obviously donā€™t have much perspective on how involved and responsive most upper faculty are in college, but even to me it seems unusual. Definitely gives a very good impression about how invested Tulsa is in their students. Meanwhile, WSU initially messed up my financial aid and lost internally somewhere that Iā€™m a National Merit finalist, and I thought Iā€™d barely be able to afford to go there.

The decision about Tulsa vs WSU is very much based on practical concerns about my ability to study what I want. Iā€™m very impressed with the level of involvement Tulsa has displayed.

Thatā€™s not to say that the professors at WSU donā€™t care as much about their students. Students definitely get closely involved with their professors in upper level courses. But having even the president seem to be so closely involved with students directly is definitely something that would be much more difficult at a larger school like WSU.

5 Likes

Many advanced students can undertake independent study under the guidance of a faculty mentor, so that may help you at Tulsa even if there are not specific classes for what you want to study.

Also you could likely undertake a semester or year abroad at a larger university.

9 Likes

Itā€™s hard to say how to choose which subfield youā€™d like or should go into. Based on what math courses you have taken, you can do well in a lot of areas.

My suggestion would be to look at the Tulsa course offerings and requirements and see if you can make an undergrad plan. If you can make a couple of such plans that look good to you, Tulsa might work for you.

PS. I am not a Math major, but I did enjoy the Analysis courses more than other parts of math.

Paging @DadTwoGirls @ucbalumnus for input on the math curriculum at UTulsa for this advanced math student NMF. See post #166 for what they are considering and what they have learned about the depth of the math dept.

1 Like

Iā€™ve actually been watching this school a few years. Thought about investing in itā€¦diff we ent thingā€¦municipal bonds.

I can tell you that at least on the outsude looking in that Mr Carson is one of those innovators, bringing change and value vs old and stodgy.

Historically the school was a great name but hit some rough spots. That heā€™s on here, that heā€™s using the endowment to attract brilliant kids like yourself (20% NMF) that will become successful - heā€™s the type of leader that will transcend the name into a fast riser

Iā€™m no math expert but I canā€™t imagine as an undergrad you can get outside of any areas they will know, even if they donā€™t regularly teach.

The other thing though is itā€™s small Vs big. You have to want that. And itā€™s in a much more urban area although the school itself is a bit east. It happens to be a nice city. Iā€™ve been many times although not on campus.

Talk about going down to the wire but make sure you commit somewhere tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both WSU and Tulsa have told me theyā€™re flexible with the May 1st deadline. With WSU itā€™d mean losing any priority with housing options, so the sooner the better, but itā€™s not completely critical.

3 Likes

OP, one thing that you might want to bring up with your new contacts at Tulsa is whether there are grants available to make study abroad affordable. The school has some excellent connections with math programs that could provide a good destination (and potentially allow you to explore areas of math in which Tulsa has less strength)ā€¦ but theyā€™re not quite as generous as wealthier schools in terms of funding. (Iā€™m sure WSU isnā€™t either.) Where the biggest-endowment schools will apply all of your financial aid to study abroad, meaning that both tuition and living expenses are covered, Tulsaā€™s policy states that they cover tuition only, and living expenses abroad are the studentā€™s responsibility. It sounds as if this would be prohibitive for you unless there are sources of supplemental funding.

1 Like

And the year away at another college. Isnā€™t that an option at Tulsa?

Paging @Twoin18 who may have some insight to provide on the math situation of someone who thinks he likes pure math but doesnā€™t know whether analysis is a good path and trying to figure out what to do where to go to undergrad based on that. Or read @DramaMama2021ā€™s far more succinct and eloquent rec.

2 Likes

Tulsa isnā€™t part of the formal National Student Exchange program; thatā€™s a point in favor of WSU, if that program is of interest. But it doesnā€™t hurt to ask whether there are domestic exchange opportunities that would be funded.

2 Likes

Thank you for the correctionā€¦I thought it was.:frowning:

You may want to check with both places how many math majors end up attending a grad school. Having a peer group and other students who are invested in math makes a huge difference. You donā€™t need many, but it helps to have at least some.

WSU seems to have overall wider and deeper course offerings than Tulsa.

3 Likes

This is the most current list (I think!). It looks like WSU is now the only participating campus in Washington State. National Student Exchange - Campuses / Location The Canadian schools are all crossed out now, which Iā€™m guessing resulted from Covid restrictions - perhaps theyā€™ll be back.

3 Likes

That year at another campus is such a great option!

3 Likes

Tulsa has 26 compared to WSUā€™s 62 on the list you provided - and a bit over a tenth of the undergraduate enrollment. Proportionally, that seems to me to be in Tulsaā€™s favor, itā€™s just a big vs small school thing.

5 Likes