Rejected from Neuroscience PhD programs. Is applying to Biomedical Sciences a better idea?

I recently applied to neuroscience graduate programs and was not accepted. I am currently attempting to strengthen my application, and recieved some advice from my undergrad mentor. He explained that, based on my application, the likely reason I was not accepted was that I had applied to programs that were too small (they accept too few students per year). He advised that I should apply to the larger biomedical sciences programs which often serve as umbrella programs to neuroscience programs and often feed into the same labs. I am wondering if this advice is enough given my application’s problems.

Here are some of the broad details of my application:
3.3 undergrad GPA (I did well in my core science courses for the most part outside of a couple courses a C+ in a genetics course, and a B- in an evolution course).

3.3 Master’s GPA Neuroscience
This one was mostly outside of my control. During my first semester in graduate school I became very ill and it took until near the end of master’s program to diagnose and treat the condition. I am better now, and I didn’t do poorly in any of the difficult core classes, but certain courses that are heavy on attendance I didn’t do very well in because of doctor’s appointments, and general illness. I was really hoping to redeem my undergrad GPA here so I am incredibly frustrated at the way things happened.

GRE Scores: Excellent; High 90’s percentile in each section.

Research Experience: I have 1 first authored paper, 1 second author paper, and 2 other papers I am an author on that I think will be published before I reapply.

Letters of Reccomendation: I’d say all 3 of my letters of reccomendation are very good. The PI I worked with in undergrad who still gives me advice, my master’s PI, and a Post-doc I’ve worked with on several projects.

I know no one can tell me if I will get accepted, and I’m not looking for that. I’m wondering if applying to biomedical science programs is worth my time.

I am a little confused by what you wrote. You stated that you recently applied to neuroscience graduate programs and you were not accepted. Then you stated that you received a 3.3 in a neuroscience masters program. Then you talk about reapplying.

I am confused. What kind of degree are you seeking?

1 Like

I completed a masters program and was applying to PhD programs. I apologize for the confusion

1 Like

I agree that you could broaden your search to schools that have labs doing research that interests you even if they are not part of an official neuroscience program.

1 Like

I would begin by finding labs that interest you.

2 Likes