Religion and diversity at Boston College

Wondering about religion and diversity at Boston College. Thoughts on being a Jewish person on campus, though not particularly religious. Will I feel like an outsider? Is it true there are crucifixes in all the classrooms and dorms? Just curious about student atmosphere

That is a hard question to answer IMO. From my experience, Jewish people are more likely to attend religiously affiliated schools when they are strong academically. BC and some others fall into this category- so you/your student will not be alone. On the other hand, there are absolutely times on campus when you will recognize you are in the minority. It might be a well positioned cross atop a building, a picture of Jesus in a hallway or a religion class (not sure if required these days). BC has a Hillel and Chestnut Hill is more than 25% jewish. You will not be alone, but the choice is yours to make. I know jews who would love to go to BC and others who would not consider it.

1 Like

Expect many crucifixes on campus (and many other Catholic features like churches and chapels, Religious (nuns, priests, brothers), clubs with a religious purpose. Yes, you have to take 2-3 ‘religion’ classes but there are many to choose from.

It will be what you make of it. If you want to enjoy the experience, you will. If you want to fight all the requirements, you won’t enjoy it.

There is certainly a religious presence on campus, which contributes to the lovely campus. There are priests walking around, lots of Christian imagery, etc…If you feel that’s going to make you uncomfortable, I suggest looking for a different college. When we did our tour, the student guide strongly emphasized the religious aspect of life at BC. For my D, all of this combined meant it was eliminated.

It’s pretty diverse, in the top 5% of colleges in terms of diversity. It has a high retention rate, so students are happy.

1 Like

I have twins who will be seniors. One has gone to mass, a retreat and part of a mentoring club (not sure if religious themed). Second son is so busy with biochem/labs I don’t think he has been involved. They both said there are a variety of choices for the required philosophy/theology requirement and they liked the classes they chose.

I feel that BC is not a very diverse institution and when you look at stats they are right in the middle, if not a tad below.

When looking at BC’s diversity, don’t forget to look beyond simple demographic stats.

BC excels in teaching its students to value differences and to accept others.