Renovation and percentage freshman?

I spent some time looking at all my dorm options this weekend and I’m really liking Dejope and Smith. However, both seem to be mainly upperclassman. What percent freshman would you say live in these two residence halls? For my first year, I want to make sure I’ll have a chance to meet as many other freshman as I can.
Anyways, since those are a) more expensive and b) not mostly freshman, I need a few more options. Can anyone tell me which dorms have been renovated most recently? The website shows when each were built, but not renovated. I love the city feel but I’m more of a studier than a partier… so I’m fine with both Lakeshore and Southeast

Any dorm with freshmen has been at least 50% freshmen in the past. The most popular dorms will have returning students taking the best rooms. All dorms have been updated over the years, there won’t be any less well maintained. You need to do the Res Halls website research to decide your priorities. You can look at lofting guides for some looks at rooms. The dorm architecture varies a lot depending on the era the dorm was built. Some like a more modern look, a high rise, only 4 stories, oldest (Barnard), near the lake, near State St… So many different options. Your first decision is likely Lakeshore or Southeast for general area. Then you need to rank those in your preferred area first, followed by less desirable to you dorms. You will have a chance to change your rankings until around May- after that they will let the computer do its thing to make assignments. Some dorms have Learning Communities- research any of those you may like (extra cost).

I really doesn’t matter when dorms were renovated because they have kept up with heating, plumbing, bathrooms et al in all dorms. Dorm styles may matter to you. You need to rank all dorms in case you do not get one of your first choices when the dorm assignment lottery is done.

Put your first choice first, then continue the rankings. Do not assume you will/won’t get a popular dorm. Do pay attention to the costs and amenities (some have air conditioning which costs more plus some other differences). All are near a library if you like studying in one (the type doesn’t matter). Consider if you want to be closer to a dining hall or snack bar- you can eat in any on campus plus there is delivery for some snack items- think pizza/subs (small charge).

There are too many diverse choices. Eons ago I chose to live in different dorms than friends because I liked ones they did not. Ate all over campus. btw, great meal plan- you are not confined to the dining place close to your dorm et al. No minimum purchases either. See the web site.

You are likely to spend more time with people on your floor/in your dorm first semester until you meet people in classes and activities. But- the whole campus is your neighborhood.

Liz Waters will have a newly renovated dining hall for next fall.

Leopold is the newest dorm.

Chadbourne was renovated in the recent past.

Don’t set your heart on one or two dorms - you are not guaranteed your top choices.

Unless, maybe if you rank a Learning Community first.

Bradley is an all-freshmen learning community.

There is a way to find out the renovations schedule - a ten year plan is somewhere in the website. I wouldn’t worry about being in the most recently renovated or newest dorm, however. Some renovations include new windows, HVAC (heating… systems). All dorms will have systems in good repair. That Liz dining facility would have benefited from renovations many decades ago for kitchen space but priorities meant other projects were done sooner. Also, Res Halls is self funded so the budget dictates timing- your housing money keeps things going (and there is no profit). Reading the ten year type plans was impressive- how they are keeping an eye on maintenance and constantly looking to the future. The UW campus is constantly evolving- every grad will see changes, no matter how long ago that occurred. Res Halls is doing its part.

Thanks guys. I did spent a good deal of time researching the dorms, and I found like 5 that seem good for me. I guess I should have clarified about the renovation thing- I care, not really because of the amenities, but more because of the design style. I’m really into interior home design and I like things to look as clean and modern as possible. (Yeah, I sound super picky but it’s more like just one factor I would consider, not a make it or break it deal). So like, which ones have newer carpet/furniture in them. Elizabeth Waters might be good for me, since it has the engineering LC. My cousin lives there, and I got to see inside it a couple months ago, and the dorm rooms themselves that have been renovated look nice.

They all have the same furniture in the rooms.

DeJope and Leopold are the newest so may fit your clean and modern look.

You should search youtube videos to see the inside of the buildings.

Most dorms are pretty generic. However some dorms have older architecture that defines spaces- Adams, Tripp and Barnard come to mind. Kronshage and Slichter still have their built in dressers I believe. Some have the typical dorm cinder block walls- they used to be split down the middle with built in bolster et al as well but that has changed. Many or most have NO carpet- you can bring a rug. Liz was built in 1940 and the overall halls et al reflect a different style than the 1960’s era or earlier and later building styles. Liz has been popular for its central and lake location plus slightly larger rooms. You should list it if it is your first choice but be prepared to not get it. Do not know if the learning community there will fill up either.

You will make your dorm room- together with your roommate, don’t forget that person’s likes- whatever style you two prefer. I emphasize this because your budding interior design sense could be the opposite of your roommate’s and they have as much say as you do. All furniture has been replaced recently enough to be clean lines. There are some variations in wood color as you can see in photos. Be prepared to compromise no matter where you live. Do not expect a coordinated look- your roommate will want to reflect their style and may even want to be different from yours just to claim some control over their environment. Your space can be clutter free but they have the right to fill theirs with junk (at least you aren’t sharing a childhood room with your sister whose stuff crept into your half of the dresser top like mine did).

Thanks guys, here’s another question (not sure if anyone will see)- Will I for sure be paired up in a room with another freshman?

No guarantees. However, most dorm residents are freshmen so your chances are high to get another freshman for a roommate. btw- UW found that random roommates worked as well as doing questionnaires.