Residence Halls for Transfer Student

<p>I am transferring from the University of Iowa and I am having a hard time determining which dorm room would be best for me. My top two candidates are Dejope and Chadbourne Halls. My priorities are as follows: 1) Food 2) Very close second is the people living in the Hall (I am an honors student, don't really party but pretty much all of my friends here at Iowa do party. I really do value a hall that is well acquainted with itself. I also like outgoing and adventurous people, I skydive and do crazy stuff like that.) 3) Bathrooms, I need clean bathrooms. 4) Location primarily to classes but also to fast food restaurants, convenience stores, etc. </p>

<p>The main questions I need to be answered are which residence halls' respective dining options is better (Rheta's or Four Lakes Market)? Out of the vague details of myself I have given you, which residence hall's populace best matches what I am looking for? Which has cleaner bathrooms? Lastly, which location is best when valuing proximity to classes first and social and economic locations as a secondary concern.</p>

<p>On a different note, I am a devout Christian and am wondering if you guys know which Christian organization on campus is the biggest and some of the best churches in the area. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Food- same at all Res Halls facilities of same kind. You can eat anywhere and the menu will be the same except they will add a selection to different dining halls on different days. The different types of dining are spread over the campus- a coffee shop will be the same no matter where it is on campus and the regular meal places will likewise have the same foods. You also can buy as little or as much food at Res Halls places- you pay less using your Res Halls food account because part of your dorm fee pays for the facilities. You may not feel the need to go off campus for as much as you do at your current school. See the website.</p>

<p>Religion. Christians come in all kinds- from devout Catholics to equally devout xyz denominations. You need to explore the various student organizations to find which brand suits you best. Then you decide which organization you wish to join and which of many close to campus churches suits you best. You will find a great diversity and there is no single option that is best for all. Biggest may not suit you- it could be Catholic and you are evangelistic… What you are used to in your area reflects the local demographics, that changes everywhere. A very personal choice.</p>

<p>All dorms open to freshmen (there is a transfer house- check the Res Halls info) are at least 50% freshmen. Some dorm floors will have more sophomores because returning residents get to choose their rooms and take the most desirable ones in any given dorm. You are best off being in the dorms your first year at UW and then discovering apartment life. Honors program students live all over campus. There is no Honors dorm. A lot of diversity among honors students- an English Lit major versus an engineering or science major for example.</p>

<p>You will find all kinds of people everywhere on campus. Your two choices are very different in location. That should be your first priority. Do you want to destress near the lake and suburban feel or does the highrise city vibe suit you most? Likeminded people (at least in this one facet of personality) will choose the same dorm you do. You might consider ranking your top choices in the same area of campus. </p>

<p>People in all dorms will study and party- each year there is a new crop of freshmen trying new things in the fall, discovering the freedoms of college life. You may initially hang out with people in your dorm but as you meet people in your classes and other activities (such as church) you will develop friendships. </p>

<p>There are pros and cons to each dorm. You need to decide the location, building style and if you want to be in a learning community et al. The food and maintenance will be equivalent- Res Halls pays attention to that so there is no one best/worst dorm. You likely will find your dorm is the place you sleep and you eat wherever it is convenient- perhaps joining friends near their living place. You can’t count on your dorm being close to your classes- a discussion or even lecture could be held in a building other than its departmental one.</p>

<p>Where would you guys recommend someone live who is transferring in for her spring semester of sophomore year?</p>

<p>You try to get a dorm room for the semester in Res Halls to avoid long leases et al. There are people leaving second semester and that opens up some rooms. Contact Res Halls- email/phone and ask them for details. That would be the easiest, least potential hassles. By then the freshmen will have settled down and it won’t matter who your roommate is.</p>

<p>Next you could check on the off campus site of UW’s housing website for subleasing an apartment.</p>