Residency comes next

<<<
Green card sponsors and H1B sponsors are not the same thing.
<<<

Oh I know. I was just using them as an example of concerns that someone coming here may not be adequately funded…and soon they become a burden on the taxpayers. That’s one reason why education visas aren’t issued until the student can show that he’ll be FULLY funded…either thru the college or family funds.

<<<
The $100K would be a for a single individual. As I understand it, the purpose of the proposed $100K salary minimum is to force employers to hire Americans first before importing “cheaper” foreign programmers/engineers/scientists.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

I can see both sides of this.

However, perhaps there can be waivers for doctor residencies…(or maybe…lol…“residency pay” will have to reallly jump!!! Now that would be ok by me!! Lol)

That said, I can see that there could be a concern for an int’l resident coming here with spouse and 4 kids trying to live on $60k…particularly if the residency is in a higher cost location.

Two things–

1. I don’t think resident pay is going to miraculously increase anytime soon. Unless Medicare funding increases dramatically–and what are the odds of that happening?

Btw, if you look back, as recently as the 1960s, residents weren’t paid at all.** In fact, in some cases residents were actually paying hospitals for the privilege of being a resident.

**Absolutely true. Residents got room & board in dorm maintained by the hospital and not a penny besides that. Married residents were not permitted to live in the dorms and were expected to support themselves and their spouse on zero income.

1. There are US citizen residents who are married with children trying to live on $60K/year, often in high COL areas right now. The issue isn’t limited to foreign doctors.

1). I was joking.

1. yes, there are US citizens living on $60k per year, and if they/their kids qualify for any welfare/freelunch/whatever, that’s a different situation because they are citizens. That said, hopefully, if those citizen/GC doctors are married, their spouses can help bring in some money, too.

The dependents of H1B visa holders have H4 visas. H4 visa holders are not allowed to work and are not eligible for state or federal benefits like SNAP, Medicaid or any kind of cash benefits (welfare).

^^ I know that they’re not eligible for those bennies.

And, yes, I know that their spouses/family members can’t work (unless they did a couple’s match and both are doc-residents, and then the spouse would have H1B visa as well)

I was talking about the spouse of the citizen doc-resident working to supplement the $60k salary.

Maybe an added concern is that a $60k per year int’l with a spouse/kids can’t faithfully support the household. The domestic resident with spouse/kids would have the spouse work option.

The concern just isn’t there for domestic workers earning $60k or less.

There are rumors that minimum salary to qualify for H-1 can go as high as 130k and cut back to 30k or so annually. The other rumor is that rather than have the current lottery system, the visas be allocated to highest bidders or highest salaries listed for h-1s to show that those jobs most difficult to fill are the ones being filled.

H-1s are primarily being issued to to tech employees and the view is that Americans are being displaced by H-1s taking a lower pays for comparative jobs and the visas are primarily being issued to multinationals providing cheap labor. Around mid 2015, H-4s (dependent spouses mainly) started getting their own work permits which have no real limit on what they can do or what they must be paid. So this put additional burden on the job market with almost a milion H-1s around. Many spouses do have their own H-1s but it made it lot easier to get a job for H-4s to a get a job with no restrictions at all. Some of my colleagues were complaining that there was so much flooding of the tech market that hourly rates dropped like a rock. It is expected (or rumored) that H-4 work permits will be cancelled under the new immigration rules.

My guess is that if any parts of the rumors are implemented, h-1s applying to be residents during 2018 cycle will have no shot. OTOH, if they do infact raise salary requirements to 100k or more and require that all existing million h-1s meet that requirement, lot of companies will have issues and probably will be stuck fighting it in courts like they did the immigration ban.

The question is will the new salary standards apply for all H1 visa holders or will it apply only to those who are applying for H1 visas in the future?

According to AMSA, there are currently about 2000 medical residents in the US who are H1 visa holders.

That’s a lot of suddenly vacant doctor jobs to fill.

^^. Good question. Certainly, it would seem logical to grandfather-in those already here on H1 visas.

I also think that there may be some sort of leeway/waivers given to those who are coming for residencies.

I’m not sure that a flat “salary benchmark” should be given if the person is coming alone. I can understand why there might be a “sliding scale” depending on family size. Certainly, an int’l on H1 work visa coming to work a $50k residency shouldn’t be permitted to bring his/her family of 6 if that will be the only income. One may argue that they won’t qualify for welfare, but their kids might qualify for free/reduced breakfast and lunch, and they’ll be attending public schools at $10k+ per child/per year, so the family could be considered a taxpayer burden.

I’m not sure if this is possible or even a good idea, but maybe a preference would be given to those $50k per year earning int’l residents who will be coming alone.

Just a few more days…

Fingers crossed!

Crossing fingers for your son!

I assume he got the happy “you’ve matched!” email this morning…

@mom2collegekids Plan for celebrations this weekend.

Match day is St. Patrick’s day. I think there will be plenty of celebration going on.

Yes, he got the email!

I can’t believe how time has flown. I started in this premed forum when he was (I think) a freshman in college. Thank you all so much for the info and advice over the years.

Congratulations!!!

@mom2collegekids Thanks for always being so helpful. Sincerely very happy for you and your family.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/877178

Can’t open the link.

Does it say that they weren’t able to rank their interviewees?

So sorry for those affected.

Boy, Columbia dropped the ball. I just looked at their cardiothoracic surgery residency web page and it looks like they take two a year.