Residential Advisor

What is the timeline for applying to be an RA at UA? Would an applicant who didn’t get the position be at a disadvantage in finding other means of housing?

You are speaking about a returning student…correct? Freshmen are not eligible for an RA position.

The selection process begins around November and the student has to go through a series of application/interview/training steps. I believe selected students are notified around March. Therefore, a returning student would be unable to lock themselves into an early off-campus apartment lease. Some students/parents start looking at apartments as early as November of their freshmen year and like to sign early leases to "lock in " both the apartment and early bonuses. There is a lot of off-campus student housing, however the most popular complexes will naturally fill the earliest. That said, the majority of sophomores move off-campus and find suitable housing.

The RA positions are very competitive and there is both a GPA requirement for the application of the job and for keeping the job.

Do RAs (if accepted) get a single room or are they in a double or quad with other non RA students?

Not usually in a single, definitely roommates, sometimes even two to a room, if in an older dorm without suites.

In the suite-style dorms, most RAs will be in their own room, but within a 2- or 4-person suite. I don’t know what happens in traditional (shared room) dorms. You might have more luck asking UA Housing directly. See this link and ask Mary Thornton: http://housing.ua.edu/hrc_staff/staff_apps.cfm (scroll to the bottom of this page). Or here for a bit more info: http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/leadership_opps.cfm

And, regarding the timing, from that link, I deduce that those interested in being RAs in fall of 2017 will need to attend mandatory intro meetings in fall of 2016, and go from there.

When my son was in Burke West (fall 2014) - which is an old style traditional dorm - the RA’s had their own rooms. I’m sure this varies depending on the dorm.