Residential colleges within big state universities

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of residential colleges within the big state universities?

I’m thinking programs like Blount at Alabama or James Madison College at MSU where select students in the program all live in the same residence hall and take seminar-style classes together that lead to a specific major or minor. These are like a liberal arts college within the massive state university.

There are multiple lists of honors programs, but I cannot find a good list of these residential college programs.

I think you may be misunderstanding these programs. I am familiar with Blount at Alabama as my daughter was accepted to it. Students in Blount do live together and take one seminar class through Blount, but they all have different majors and the majority of their classes are taken with the regular student body. It’s not really a separate college, more like a separate dorm where you take one class with your dorm mates.

1 Like

I’ve very familiar with Blount, and students can graduate with a Blount minor. I’m looking for a list of similar programs.

Not aware of a list but of the big state universities I’ve looked at, almost all have an honors college and an LLC associated with it. It’d probably be a shorter list to name the ones that don’t.

Why is this important? No employer is going to care that you have a Blount minor. Kids realize this after they get to college which is why many end up not fulfilling the requirements for minors like this. The real advantage this type of college has is that you have dorm mates that have been preselected for academic curiosity and have a potential group of like minded friends right at the start of college. It’s the same type of advantage that many honors programs and LLCs offer. These are common at large public colleges.

1 Like

University of Michigan Residential College.

U-M has a lot of other living-learning communities, but the RC is closest to what you describe.

2 Likes

UVA has two - Monroe Hill and Hereford.

1 Like