Rlc

<p>Does anyone know if you get into the RLC if there is a required retreat or
summer camp, etc. We are trying to figure out our summer plans and
just wondering about this. There is not anything about this on the website
we see. Also, can you request a roommate if you have a friend also in RLC?</p>

<p>Not sure about this.</p>

<p>This is from the parents’ page on the RLC website ([For</a> Parents | Residential Leadership Community | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.rlc.aee.vt.edu/FutureStudents/parents.html]For”>http://www.rlc.aee.vt.edu/FutureStudents/parents.html)):</p>

<p>“There are two major requirements. The RLC Retreat, which is usually the Friday or Saturday before classes begin for the Fall Semester. The only exception for missing the event is for students who are trying out for the Marching Virginias. Students trying out for the Virginia Tech band must notify the RLC director prior to the retreat. The other major requirement is LDRS 1015 in the fall and LDRS 1016 in the spring.”</p>

<p>My daughter is in RLC, as well as the all-girl competitive cheer squad (who are supposed to do some sort of conditioning camp before school starts.) I too would love to have more definitive dates for all this stuff! My daughter and her girlfriend requested each other on the initial housing contract, however I don’t know if that request carries over into RLC. I can’t see why they wouldn’t honor the requests, though.</p>

<p>Hey tnalflncva, the retreat is not at all a summer camp. Summer plans don’t have to revolve around your beginning RLC experience. I actually had no idea about the retreat, when I was a freshman RLC student two years ago, until I got to school. Jamielynnew’s information is great, but from a first hand experience, that is true that they are pretty strict with people attending it. It’s a great way to get to know all of your peers in the building/community. But it’s just a ropes course, team building activities and that kind of thing that are all held on campus. It’s really no big deal at all and while understandably awkward, pretty fun! Let me know if you have any more questions.</p>