Roommate Selection and College Options for Home-Schooled Student

It can also help to realize that the average SAT score last year according to google was 1060. That’s the mean. Many got lower. For everyone on CC who got a 1400 or 1500+, far more did not, and those students are still successful in life. Don’t get discouraged if you find yourself starting with a lower score, esp prior to real prep.

That said, the goal is being as prepared as possible for college, so finding gaps in one’s education is super useful. Doing so also tends to raise scores.

3 Likes

I have now taken one of the full-length practice tests, yes, and of course I did it without cheating/looking things up (the whole purpose is so I can prepare and know where I stand. So I know that by not taking it properly, I would only be making things harder on myself in the long-term) I’ll also take more of them once I get ready and do more preparation work though

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely try to do that (although I’m not sure how to set up my own study plan just yet, if I try hard enough, I can figure it out either way)

Thank you for the advice, that really does help

1 Like

Which test, and what were your scores? This is important for us to know to be able to advise you in what direction to head. The purpose is not necessarily to prepare for taking a test in the future. If the score was low, you shouldn’t waste time on self-prep. Community colleges are very well-equipped to fill in the gaps in your education with teachers and classes, as opposed to your trying to self-study for a standardized test. They also have transfer agreements, often even for your flagship state U, which would probably be an excellent option. If your first score on a practice test was high, then yes, it might be appropriate to prep a bit more, take a test in a testing center, and apply to competitive admission schools.

My reading/writing score was 620, and I took an SAT practice test. My math score was lower because I haven’t had much preperation yet and haven’t been exposed to some of those subjects in particular, but I’m getting there.
I don’t think studying is a waste of time, but there is alot to consider and I will try to figure it out. I am not sure if being a transfer studemt is a good idea either, but I’ve got alot to figure out and with some help, I will.
I want to get into a good college for me and do my best. Thanks for the advice

1 Like

The 620 on the English is about 75th%, and would surely be good enough for your state college, maybe good enough for your flagship state U, depending upon what state you are in. I’m not surprised, because your writing is pretty good. I bet you have been a reader. I’m assuming that your math score was much lower, since you’re keeping it to yourself. Yes, you might be able to bring it up with self-teaching. But you don’t have to self-teach the math. You don’t need an SAT to start at a community college. They are very good at fixing the gaps in students’ math preparation - they have an entire stepped, progressive curriculum for it! It’s pretty easy to teach a willing, motivated person math, assuming that they don’t have a serious learning disability. It’s much harder to make up for the lack of 13 years of reading that they should have done, in order to become a literate person by college - fortunately, this is not the case for you.

Your goal should not be studying for acing the SAT! It’s just a test. Your goal is to get an education, and become an independent, fulfilled, self-supporting human being with a good, happy life. Sometimes when we’re up close to something, we have trouble with stepping back and seeing the big picture. The SAT is the up close, narrow focus view. It is an appropriate means for a home-schooler to demonstrate that they have had an excellent homeschool education, since they lack the verifiable GPA and transcript from a high school. In your case, the math score shows that you haven’t. Step back, and see the big picture. You haven’t had a conventional education, and trying to make your education fit the conventional route to college at this point, especially since you’re anxious about the social transition to college, is not the best idea. I think that your best bet is to register for community college as a high schooler, starting this semester, if it’s not too late, and otherwise for summer or next September, depending upon what is permitted, as a homeschooling high schooler, with these classes being considered dual enrollment for high school. They have a remedial math class sequence that you can take, in addition to lots of other classes. You could do at least two semesters, maybe three at the community college as a homeschooling senior, and then quickly finish your Associate’s degree there and transfer to probably your flagship state U as a junior, and do two to three years there, to get your BA.

This route has a number of advantages. You can take all sorts of classes next year, plus their remedial math sequence to fix the gaps in your math education. You can get a driver’s license now, and have a year of driving under your belt, before you leave for college. You could get a part time job, and gain the maturity that comes with that, before you leave for college. You can get comfortable with the group classroom model for instruction (which involves speaking up in class, going to office hours, asking the TA or Prof for help if you need it, forming study groups with the other students, learning how to get hold of your textbooks without having to pay hundreds to thousands a semester - all skills that you will need for college). Think of next year as training wheels for college.

Then, if you’re just destroying community college, and you feel that you want to try applying to college via the traditional route, for a traditional freshman year experience for fall 2023, you will have that option. Or you can just finish the Associate’s degree and transfer to whatever school best fits your needs and your budget. It’s a cheap, low-risk means of filling in the gaps of your home-schooling education, while giving you the opportunity to gain more maturity.

6 Likes

I could not endorse parentologist’s wise post enough, OP. And if you’ve struggled with self-taught math prep, you will be amazed at what a good math teacher (like many of them who teach community college remedial math) can do for you. Literally take you back to your “times tables” and then work forward from there, filling in the gaps whether it’s what to do with fractions, how to break down a word problem, how to read a bar graph and why it’s important in the real world to be able to interpret data.

I had to take a remedial math course before starting graduate school and it was life-altering. I had never been good at math and had always hated it. And then- remedial math (filled with other people like me who had to pass the course to start their grad program) and boom- it all clicked, and made so many things possible for me career wise.

CC will also be filled with interesting students with their own life stories which might ratchet down your anxiety about college quite a bit. I have a friend who teaches writing at a CC and she is constantly amazed and moved and excited about the range of students who end up in her class. And she’s been doing it for over 30 years- you’d think she’d heard it all. But like you- many students who are driven to get an education and determined to figure out how to do it despite family challenges, or financial issues, or illness/disability, etc.

Getting a part time job while in CC is also a great idea. I have always loved working, even when I have not always loved the actual job (I hated waitressing, but was still always happy to put on my ugly uniform, tie my apron, and get to my shift). It’s so different from your “other” life plus money of your own!

listen to Parentologist- what a great plan!

4 Likes

I’ll add my vote to see if you can get into a community college math class too - give them a call - see what they have available. It would be a good introduction to both what college is like and math.

If nothing is available now, work on Kahn Academy with their topics, not SAT math, and see what you can do for yourself until summer - then there should be a cc math class available.

Once you’ve done some of those basics, you will likely have a better idea of which way you want to head for 2023.

4 Likes

Changed title of this thread based on OP (@Starr4)'s request.

3 Likes

I would recommend after you graduate, to take classes at the community college but put it on your transcript as part of your senior year (dual credit). That way you can still apply as a freshman with some credits. This will give you the opportunity to adjust to classes with other students, possibly being in a cafeteria, joining a club. Also, applying as a freshman (rather than a transfer) keeps more options open and often has better financial aid.

I have two sons–one who homeschooled all the way through, did some dual credit classes, and then went to a four year school as a freshman. Then he took some time off and started looking at schools as a transfer student. It was definitely an easier process as a freshman. My other son homeschooled up until junior year of high school and then attended a private school. I have written a homeschool transcript for both of them, so I understand that process pretty well.

1 Like