Rose-Hulman EA class of 2025 Decisions

My S got his acceptance today. I see no one is leaving stats, but I will, as it helps those in the future. Mechanical engineering: GPA: 3.45 SAT 1430 (750 math; 680 EWR). He holds 2 jobs and has a very well done resume. Played lacrosse and snowboards. No major academic honors, but too the advanced math track at school and senior year took Calc 2 in Fall and will take Calc 3 in Spring at CO School of Mines n addition to 3 AP courses during high school. His GPA was his weakest point, but he goes to the top public school (option school, like a magnet) in Colorado and grades are tough, with the curriculum being a rigorous very strict liberal arts one.

4 Likes

My sonā€™s stats for what is it worthā€¦if it helps people in the future: Mechanical Engineering: GPA 3.98 UW, 4.75 W, ACT: 33. 10 AP courses, jobs working on cars which is his passion. Sports and music as well.

1 Like

What do you mean by ā€œcompare?ā€ You have to remember, popularity is what people usually look at. They think the rating companies reflect the program, but they do not. A school in CA is almost always going to get more application than a school in Indiana and, unfortunately, the rating companies use popularity to equal program ranking.

I recently did an analysis of other engineering/STEM type schools, as well as some regular schools that had solid ABET engineering programs. Interesting enough, Rose students get paid more coming out than all of the schools I looked at when comparing to engineering students. This tells you that employers respect the effectiveness of the program and that is the popularity contest you want to win. Look deeper into programs. What people make coming out or what graduate programs they are accepted to means far more than what US News thinks. Class size is more imperative than weather. Location negatively impacts applications becaue students tend to be short sighted and put the level of education below the place they will be educated. Make sure it is a good fit for you, but donā€™t look at what othersā€™ ā€œthinkā€ is true, see what the results are and decide for yourself! Congrats on your acceptance.

7 Likes

I have seen all the different rankings on different sites, which is why I wanted to get an opinion from anyone who maybe attends the school or recently had to compare between RHIT and other schools to make a decision. Iā€™ve heard good things about Rose Hulman, but wanted to know how it compares in terms of academic competition and college experience with some of those other schools I mentioned. Thanks a ton for your insight!!

I saw others were dropping some stats, so I figure I may as well: 1530 SAT, 4.3 weighted GPA, 14 AP courses. I had a pretty loaded activities list with lots of leadership roles and had several national and community-level awards.

@omnomnom1 Wow, quite the stats there! Very cool. Is Rose your top choice?

To be honest, I considered it more as a safety due to its high acceptance rate and low SAT averageā€¦ Not sure where to rank it. I kinda just did a virtual tour and it seemed super cool to me so I applied, but no idea how it stands compared to the other schools Iā€™m applying to.

1 Like

S21 accepted yesterday. 4.0 UW, 4.5 W. 5 AP, 6 Honors, 4 year Engineering curriculum with PLTW. Mech Engineering. OOS in Ohio

1 Like

D21 Accepted!
Stats: Homeschooled
GPA: 4.5+, 3.95 UW
ACT 33 (old score taken in 2019 due to COVID19 and inability to retest)
15 Dual Enrollment at local colleges/univ. including Chem 1, Chem2, Engineering Physics1, E Physics 2, Calc 1,2&3, etc.
Internship with Tech Start-up

Omnomnom1: RHIT generally appeals to very focused, driven studentsā€¦ all the stats people have posted here are very impressive. I personally wouldnā€™t think of RHIT as a ā€˜safetyā€™. Their small size and tight STEM focus affords them the ability to be a bit more wholistic in their admissionsā€¦ but that doesnā€™t mean easy. I think the fact that the majority of students applying have high stats skews the perception of a high admit rate.

Congrats to everyone accepted!

2 Likes

My son was admitted yesterday. His GPA is 3.93/4.0, ACT (September, 2019) is 35 (M35/S36/E35/R33), and he is also a National Merit Semifinalist in California. He is waiting for some highly selective collegesā€¦

1 Like

Had replied earlier but leaving stats here for more info.

Computer Engineering
Applied EA
1510 SAT, 4.0 UW, 4.6 W GPA
7 APs, 10 Honors (including 3 PLTW courses)
3 year Engineering curriculum with PLTW
Robotics, Math Team, Music

3 Likes

If you consider student profile, then RHIT students seem well prepared for, in particular, quantitative pursuits. For example, RHITā€™s middle range math-section ACT profile of 27ā€“34 seems reasonably equivalent to UMichiganā€™s range of 29ā€“34.

1 Like

D21 was just notified yesterday about her selection as a semifinalist for Noblitt Scholars. Sheā€™s excited!

FYI, essay submissions are due in January and it looks like finalists will be invited to campus in March (assuming covid doesnā€™t lead to cancellation).

1 Like

If you are a finalist, does that mean you are selected as a Noblitt scholar, or is there further selection process?

Did her letter mention ā€œsemifinalistā€ or was it an invitation to apply for the scholarship?

@engineer2025

Her letter didnā€™t specifically say ā€œsemifinalistā€. We both just assumed it was semifinalist status as she will need to submit her video essay by the appointed date in January, and then there is mention of dates in March for the invitation to campus. The way it is worded sounds as if the semifinalists are notified now and the finalists are invited to campus. I suppose all the students who are invited to submit an essay now are also invited to campus later, but that doesnā€™t seem likely. We could have misinterpreted, however.

I have no idea how this process works. Your guess is as good as mine!

Hopefully some 2024 Noblitt Scholars can throw some more light on this selection process :slight_smile:

I believe the Noblitt is new this year. I know they had Circle of Distinction Scholarships last year but I believe they were differently named. Iā€™m not sure if that means the process is different though.

Is there any concern over the fact that RHU is on the quarter system vs. the semester system and hence the curriculum will be even more rigorous?