Rose-Hulman EA class of 2025 Decisions

We thought it was excellent as well. Lots of thought went into the planning,

2 Likes

Agreed! We all enjoyed it too and thought it was very well done.

2 Likes

Arenā€™t they declaring the Noblitt Scholars today? Any news yet?

Hopefully today. My son has been pacing the floor.

Noblitt decisions are out!

Any full scholarships given?

Got in! $10000/Year.

2 Likes

My D got full tuition, if thatā€™s what you mean?

1 Like

Wow congratulations!! Full tuition plus the merit which she already received?

1 Like

No, they said that the Noblitt apparently replaces the merit she already received. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s all or not. Also, she hasnā€™t heard about the Rose-Bud scholarship, and if she receives that, we donā€™t know how that works. In addition, she will have an NMS award, and we donā€™t know how that will work, either. I think I need to call them.

eta: I also donā€™t know if this covers fees. I assume not, because it only says ā€œfull tuitionā€.

Ok, got it. Thank you!

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome to get full ride at Rose. Hearty Congratulations

Itā€™s not exactly a full ride, but it is pretty awesome! D is very excited. Thanks!

1 Like

I think they donā€™t cover room and board! For me, Rose is still expensive to attend!

It is an expensive school, I agree. This does make it more affordable, but my D is also very practical. She has a full ride at another school, and lower net prices at others, so we will have to compare all aid packages. She does love RHIT, so we shall see.

3 Likes

My son wasnā€™t selected, but congratulations to those that were!

1 Like

I first learned about Rose-Hulman around two weeks ago because a friend had a daughter studying there. It was not on our radar because we were focusing on US News rankings for ā€œNational Research Universitiesā€ like UofM, CMU and UIUC. After looking at their curriculum, average class size, focus on teaching and graduate placement (based on the 2020 class they appear to be a feeder school to grad programs at CMU, Purdue and Georgia Tech) we decided to broaden our horizons.

In a sense, Rose is to UofM, CMU, etc. for STEM subjects, what Williams is to Harvard or Yale for humanities - a smaller, less prestigious school that by almost every objective measure provides a better undergraduate education.

4 Likes

Your kid is a high school junior, right? My S22 is as well, and your take on Rose-Hulman is similar to our view. A fantastic, small engineering-focused school. S22 will get to experience life there at Operation Catapult this summer.

Yes, Jack is a Junior. We live just a little over an hour from UofM, which is strong in everything and has a great national reputation (not to mention, we would get in-state tuition), but it also has class sizes in the hundreds, and undergrads get little access to professors.

Hopefully, Jack will be accepted to Catapult this Summer so he can learn more about Rose-Hulman.

@sfSTEM @JackH2021 feel free to check with me in 8 months or so after my son has some time there. He has already committed. @JackH2021 your assessment of the school is dead on. not only do they profess all of those things, the kids review that it is true (UNIGO is my go-to). They love the community. Terra Haute is a small town (around 66k people) with 4 colleges (1 JC, Rose, 1 small LAC, and UOI). This adds to the college feel of the town, as it is pretty much run by college students! No, it isnā€™t a major city, but I actually like that better for college kids as it keeps the kids together in more of a tight-knit community. Our scholarship money was decent, but it will still be expensive; however, the Rose Squared program sold us beyond the price, as if he gets his masterā€™s in 4 years, it will end up being the same/cheaper than at CO School of Mines, which will take far longer. I am a huge fan of LACs (for non-engineering kids) and Rose feels a lot like t hem in may ways.

1 Like