Say it here cause you can't say it directly- the get it off your chest thread (NO REPLIES TO OTHER POSTS)

Happy to report that DH’s coworker shared the college admissions info w/his ex-wife, who has gone and looked up a bunch of the info relayed to her…and now coworker’s daughter has totally changed around her approach to coming up with a college list. NYU and Univ of Michigan for that 3.0 unweighted GPA kid are now totally off the table. So is the solo cross country road trip to visit NY.

Thank goodness!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Zomg trying to find a cover for the duvet we have is an exercise in futility. Either 5 inches too long or 2 inches too wide or the size stated on the package is off by a few inches!

That is why I HATE duvets. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I know you’re leaving the department and you clearly have been unhappy, but the rest of us AREN’T leaving and really, it’s getting tiring hearing you complain and diss every component of the department as your days count down. I have enjoyed your work friendship, but really, it is SO time for you to move on. (also psssst…I won’t tell you this, but I think you’ve made a big mistake taking the new job- it’s a “jump ship” position).

6 Likes

How wonderful of the Department of Education to add another layer of reporting for school financial aid departments. Why? Because Congress neglected to allow a question on the “simplified” FAFSA asking about FWS earnings (and it can’t just be added in due to the way the legislation works) … but added a requirement for it to be reported so it could be removed from income … it now falls on schools to provide that information to ED. And ED decided not just to collect that information, but to add several questions about each individual student’s income (that have nothing to do with FAFSA). Financial aid departments are already seriously understaffed because people like me are saying enough. Overworked, underpaid, unappreciated …

4 Likes

Ugh, Friend of the Family, I know you mean well, but it’s kind of presumptuous to text my husband over and over and over again to say we need to have a plan for his sister, who has an undiagnosed severe mental illness. Do you know how many plans we’ve had for her over the years? There is a PLAN now - she has been living with her daughter in Texas. But yesterday when the family was gone, SIL drove to the airport and flew to Madison, Wisconsin, where she used to live, to “write grants.” Short of locking her up, there’s not much else we can do. We’ve arranged subsidized housing for her, we’ve stayed in contact with her, and we’ve even called 911 but the cops say they can’t do anything. She manages to present herself very well when she wants to. I understand that she’s not
just stubborn and her refusal to get help is part of her illness, but our hands are tied. :cry:

2 Likes

Love it - Furman for the win!

7 Likes

If Virginia keeps this up their reputation is going to go down hill big time.

You happily revealed your grad school student is on welfare, so we taxpayers are footing the bill for their food while you elaborate on your upcoming grand European tour and expansion of your art collection. Do you not feel any responsibility to sacrifice to support her and not soak the populace? Grrr.

And THAT’S why the World Baseball Classic is a problem (Sighs, watches season go down the drain.)

2 Likes

That was so much fun!!

2 Likes

Dear designers, you are saving me so much money by producing crap that does not look appealing!

12 Likes

I love where I live. Today’s FB posting ‘anyone missing a goat? This guy just walked onto our property. We’re keeping him safe.’

12 Likes

First 60 degree day of the year! Pure bliss… eating dinner on the deck while watching crows and Alaska Air fly over us. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

PSA of the day:

Projected class size (or number of seats or any other synonym) ÷ by number of applicants does not equal acceptance rate. Yield is also part of the equation.

So no, the acceptance rate at UCSD is not 5% and the acceptance rate at Amherst and Williams is not 4%.

20 Likes

No need to feel sorry for me that I am alone for my birthday; I am quite happy. Husband is out of town for work, so I am spending the day relaxing in my pjs and watching tv. No errands to be run for us or my mother today, it can all wait until next weekend. Usually the weekends are spent doing things for mom and the house, but not today!

Later I will pick up my favorite Chinese and eat on the sofa in front of the tv; a perfect evening for me after several incredible busy weeks at work! Oh, and the FaceTime with the grands will be the icing on the cake!

19 Likes

My middle child turns 28 today. My husband turns 69 on Monday. I’m not sure which birthday is harder to fathom!

15 Likes

Well-meaning friends: When you question why “the family” isn’t doing more to support a loved one in a mental health crisis, please don’t. You have no idea of the time, energy, and money spent in these situations. And the fact that “the family” is often a pejorative term to mental health professionals and law enforcement. Believe me, we are doing everything possible but to say it’s an uphill battle is a huge understatement. I can’t believe I’m going through this with my husband’s sister after advocating for my son the last year.

MTA: Oh, my gosh, my SIL’s friend keeps emailing us, making suggestions as to how we can help SIL. I don’t feel I need to justify our actions to a stranger. I think I will stop responding.

14 Likes

This post doesn’t belong anywhere, so it’s here.

My “nephew” received a Likely Letter from Cornell!!
Wooohoooo! :tada:

So excited for him!

16 Likes

This madness has to stop! Menstruation is a natural process, and many 4th and 5th grade girls have periods. It’s not dirty, it’s not sexual. Grow the h-e-double-hockey-sticks up.

24 Likes

The movie Cocaine Bear lived up to expectations….simply horrible.

6 Likes