Say it here cause you can't say it directly- the get it off your chest thread (Part 1)

<p>just kidding, ek. relax.</p>

<p>just don't let them mate.</p>

<p>Dear parent(s),</p>

<p>Please stop insinuating that I am "fat" and "need to lose a few pounds." I understand that you just want the best for me, and you do it jokingly, but don't you understand that I already have enough insecurity issues and you're really not helping? </p>

<p>And honestly, you telling me to lose weight makes me want to be rebellious instead, so please, please, just lay it off. It's not like I mope around at home all day and sit on the couch watching TV and stuff myself. I'm a three sport athlete and I work my butt off. I'm not cut out to be the super skinny long-legged model type in magazines and on television. It's just my body type, okay? Which, incidentally, I happened to get from YOU. </p>

<p>And please, can't you be concerned about my happiness for once, instead of making every single conversation revolve around college? Are you even concerned about whether I have friends? A social life? Does it ever occur to you that there are many, many, (many) more things important in life than college and grades? Does it ever occur to you to ask if I'm happy? (I am, thank goodness, but it's not like you'd ever know, or care, it seems).</p>

<p>When I barely managed to pull an A in a class that I had been struggling in all semester, did you say "Good job!" or were proud of me for sticking it through and studying my butt off for the final? No, you told me that it was "too close of a call" and that "I wasn't as smart as I thought" so I needed to try harder next time. I guess you didn't realize how many almost all-nighters I pulled for that class, and that I studied for almost 14 hours straight for the final. I guess you didn't realize that I don't even think I'm smart - YOU are the one bragging to other people about things I think are stupid and pointless, anyway, like SAT scores and GPA. Yes, that's right. You, for some reason, think that I think I'm some perfect little brat who thinks she's going to get everything she wants in life, but I'm actually one of the most insecure people I know, who worries about the littlest things in the world. But you just don't get it.</p>

<p>When I placed in regionals for a business competition, did you congratulate me? No, you scolded me for not making it to states. In fact, you yelled at me, and tried to force me to quit track. Yeah, we had a big fight over the fact that I got an award. How ironic. Sure, I'm not good at track, but it's something I want to do, and I love it, okay? Sure, I probably could have done better in the competition if I didn't have track, but what is 5 places compared to my social welfare and happiness? College applications are hardly the most important thing in life. If I didn't do sports, it's very likely that I'd be a anti-social loser with no conversation skills. It's opened things up to me, more important things than making it to states would, okay?</p>

<p>And when I made editor-in-chief of the school newspaper and didn't tell you for a week, do you know why? Because YOU DON'T CARE. About me, at least. What you care about is my college application. When I told you about making section editor this year, did you say, "Congratulations!" or "Good job, you deserved it!"? No, what you said was, "That'll look good on your college application." When I told you that I was applying for editor-in-chief, you practically THREATENED me (isn't that ridiculous?) and told me I had to get it, because colleges "like to see leadership." So tell me, why would I want to tell you about my accomplishments? Yes, you're proud, but frankly, you're proud for all the wrong reasons.</p>

<p>You know, I'm afraid to talk to you about what I want to do with my life, because you equate money with happiness, whereas I equate what I actually want to do with happiness. It's my life, please stop telling me that "wall street investing" is a six figure salary and thus it is "fun" and will make me "happy." You don't know what will make me happy, okay? So what if I want to major in English? So what if I want to be a high school teacher?</p>

<p>Please stop trying to force your life upon mine. Yes, mom, you are an investor. That doesn't mean I need to be one. Stop saying that you're just acting like a "guide" and that I can "do anything I want," and then turn around and try and make me major in Economics or Management. If you're just a guide, yes, I will listen to your advice, but in the end, it's still my life. Much of what you says has merit, but a lot of it is also your extremely biased opinion. When it comes to college application time next year, I really really really hope that you'll lay off and let me apply to the colleges I want, not the ones you want for me.</p>

<p>And stop thinking that I don't care. Rejection hurts me way more than it will ever hurt you. Please don't tell me that "I didn't try hard enough," because I already know that, and it already kills me. I want things way more than you want them for me; I just don't show it. I know you want the best for me, but your best just doesn't equate with my best, so please don't try and force your route to happiness on me, because it's likely that I'll never reach the end. It's my life, so let me live on my path and make my own mistakes. Please.</p>

<p>That felt good :)</p>

<p>Thanks tako. I think a lot of us parents needed to hear that.</p>

<p>CC member--"your insults to my child being 12 and in the 5th grade and that I should worry about getting through elementary school before I worry about him going to college--made me soooo upset and mad. He was held back a year in preschool, as he was a bit immature. GIVE ME A BREAK--kid's birthdays fall in all kinds of months--you will find kids 10, 11 and 12 in fifth grade. It's people like you that make kids feel inadequate for absolutely no reason. My son is well adjusted and doing quite well--Thank you very much!" -PS, I did tell this person this directly too, I just couldn't help myself.</p>

<p>Mom--it was so hard to hear you saying "I am an old lady", " I just can't do this anymore", "well, when your as old as I am...", about 30 times in 3 hours yesterday. You just turned 60, you are not on a banana peel yet. I have friends that are 55 who have kids that are in elementary school. You are as young as you want to be. If you don't change your attitude soon, you will be as old as you are letting on to be.</p>

<p>Ah,,,, now that feels a little better.</p>

<p>To the boy who had me all confused and giddy back in #171,</p>

<p>I won't waste any more time trying to understand what in the world you meant by, well, you know. You're welcome to tell me, but you'd be flattering yourself to think I'll wait around for you. I'm not holding my breath.</p>

<p>All the best,
cameliasinensis</p>

<p>This is the best idea for a thread I have seen in a long time!</p>

<p>Emeraldkity-
The funniest part of the parade was that it was organized chaos...LOL(Note the green wristbands which I assume were required to participate? )
I was also impressed with the vibrant colors some of them were able to attain with their hairdye- speaking from experience - it's not as easy as it looks!</p>

<p>Mom, please read Ivy2B's post. Greeting me at my cousin's wedding with "hello, old lady" was not a way to start a conversation with me. One is only as old as one feels.<br>
Also, remember back to when my DS (your grandson) was in 2nd grade and he was going to his first chess tournament and you said to me "why are you bothering to take him to a chess tournament?" I never told you how angry that comment made me and I'm so glad I did not listen to your negativity when it came to my son. Chess became such an important activity for him. It allowed him to meet friends that he could relate to on so many levels and I'm sure it improved his math skills tremendously and it turned out to be a great opportunity for me to connect with other moms with kids who had similar interests as my DS. I could go on and on as to the ways in which it was important. But I also want you to know that that comment was my turning point in my relationship with you. It was the point I realized you would never support my son's dreams and you never supported my dreams. And it was time to stop contact with you in order for both my son and me to grow. Oh, I could go on. But I'll stop here for now.</p>

<p>To various people on CC: People who post in chances threads just want their chances... not debates on AA or to be told that they just posted a chances thread to stoke their egos. Its sad to see how warped and angry the college process can make people. So please, if you don't like chancing people... just don't go onto the forum. There is nothing wrong with a post saying "your chances at these schools is zero". There is something wrong with intentionally belittling someone for no reason. </p>

<p>To a certain chorus teacher: You may have brought down my GPA by a lot... but thanks for pushing me away from a career in music! </p>

<p>To the college board: PIS$ OFF!!!</p>

<p>To all the people I've snapped at - in person or online- in the past few days. I'm sorry. I'm stressed. My son is leaving for college. My parents' health is not good. My daughter's entire summer schedule was just put into upheaval by someone else's failure to think ahead. And somehow I am responsible for rallying 3000 high school parents to show up and vote in 3 weeks so that the town doesn't end up with a budget that decimates programs in all the grades, but especially the middle and high schools. So excuse me if I'm a little short-tempered. I could join 90% of the rest of this town, focus on MY kids, MY job and MY life, and act shocked when next year the high school has lost its music and sports programs. </p>

<p>Or maybe you could get your heads out of your ***es and join us - the same 25 people who do everything in this town. The same volunteers, no matter what committee you look at. And the rest of you show up to events and critique and say "THEY should have done such-and-such." Well, I AM THEY AND I AM TIRED. IT'S YOUR TURN.</p>

<p>That does feel better!</p>

<p>i'm really tired of the way too many people feel the need to jump on others and criticize or condescend or tear them to pieces or be just plain rude for no reason whatsoever.
that is all.</p>

<p>Alright, unloading: </p>

<p>Dear parent-who-identifies-as-middle-class: </p>

<p>I am very sorry that you did not get the financial aid for your child that you thought you would, and that you will have to scale back or take out loans. However, you make me grit my teeth every time you refer to my child as having an unfair advantage in the financial aid process, because he's getting a full ride. </p>

<p>For years, my children and yours have attended the same schools together. While your children got rides to and from school events, my children took public transit. When your children went on ski trips and summer vacations, my children stayed home. When your kid showed off their cool new cell phone and made fun of mine having "GettroPCS" and an old cell phone, my kid laughed it off. Your teens may have been angels to you, but at school, they have looked for reasons to ridicule and deride my teens and others who were spending less conspicuously than your family was, on those things that you consider to be necessities. </p>

<p>So, now, the tables are turned and after spending years being a have-not, my child gets to go to college with a full scholarship. That's not unfair, that's balancing the scales. I did not tell you that your child had an 'unfair advantage' every time you threw an expensive birthday party, or gave your child a car, or bought them things at the mall. I did not say that you had an unfair advantage when you badgered me to donate to the school and said that "all the other parents were pledging $100 a month". I kept my mouth shut. Perhaps you could try doing that, too? </p>

<p>Love, </p>

<p>TrinSF</p>

<p>TrinSF. Very well said. Just think it, smugly, every time you see the old witch. I'm sure your kid will be the one much more grounded and mature. Good for you!!!!! (and good luck to him/her)!!!</p>

<p>astrophysicsmom: Not a specific parent -- I was thinking more of a composite, including several CC parents I read. :-)</p>

<p>Dear finance professor,</p>

<p>Your test was pure evil.</p>

<p>Love,
Me</p>

<p>To the boys and (pretend) young "men" who believe they're just so cool and so attractive to females by wearing size 40X pants around their knees: do you think that you're actually, you know, sexy? Do you fantasize that young women are actually turned on by such attire? Or are you so clueless that it never occurred to you that you were making a statement about yourself by dressing that way? </p>

<p>...And that statement would be? (Here are some possibilities)<br>
This is my "after" picture
I'm ashamed of my male body
I want everyone to know that I wear boxers instead of briefs
I'm practicing to be a male geisha (you know: the shuffle-step required by anyone wearing pants around their knees, calves, or ankles)
I have no interest in moving quickly
I have no individuality & no brain, but boy, do I know how to behave as part of a herd of sheep</p>

<p>...and most importantly,
My main message is, females stay away. (The same message females would give males if they dressed in 12-sizes-too-big muumuus, shuffled along like a clumsy animal, & just as ungracefully)</p>

<p>Get a clue, guys. Females like to look at a male physique just as much as guys expect to see some vague outline of the female body when that body is clothed. We're turned on by males who exhibit some energy, some pride in their bodies, and can walk normally unless they have a physical disability. </p>

<p>...(Oh, sorry I forgot, yours must be a social disability.)</p>

<p>On a teenager it's embarrassing. On a guy in his 20's it's pathetic.</p>

<p>..Oh, but wait: You're really, you know, cool.</p>

<p>By the way, were you ever hoping to get a real job anywhere in that conformist costume? Do you fancy that potential employers will find you cool, too?</p>

<p>epiphany,</p>

<p>I must admit, my jeans are somewhat baggy. I was raised on somewhat loose-fitting jeans, and I can't really wear anything unless it's at least somewhat loose around my legs. Boot cut just kills me. :(</p>

<p>....but I assume the basic shape of your pants fits the basic shape of your body, right? I mean, I doubt that you go around wearing potato sacks & sleeping bags on your legs. Loose is one thing. Clownish is something else. Generally, I don't date clowns. And I know no intelligent, sexy women who are interesting in dating men who dress like clowns.</p>

<p>But the interesting thing is, that the guys spoken of are far more interested in identifying with clowns than in meeting a really exciting woman.</p>

<p>My friend's son was trying on pants, he is like a guys 28, he wanted xxl pants to wear to school, she told him if they wouldn't stay up when he raised his hands he couldn't buy them...and once I saw a guy walking across the street with to cases of beer on his shoulders, wearing the saggy pants, which fell to his ankles, he wasn't sure what to do so he "waddled" to the sidewalk...with his tightie whities for all the world to see....so epiphany, I am with you</p>

<p>and my rant of the day:</p>

<p>to the airlines- changing our tickets one month before a mexico trip, and doing it at such short notice, though we bought the tickets ages ago, that we have to spend another 200 dollars just to get to our location...well, you are just horrid mean bate and switch charletons</p>