Scholarship Thread for class of '27 undergrad/'25 grad

I’ll keep this list by school, without attaching a particular student to a dollar amount.

Include scholarships, but not aid. Some schools combine music and merit, or give both. However you send it to me, I’ll indicate.

Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to add publicly. I’ll update the list whenever there are a few more.

BELMONT

15,000 merit

BERKLEE

30,000 music

COLUMBIA CHICAGO

16,000 merit/music

CU DENVER

6,000 merit

DREXEL

27,800 merit

EASTMAN

LOYOLA NEW ORLEANS

25,500 merit/music
27,000 merit/music

LYNN CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC

Full tuition (verbal full ride)

MTSU

8,000 merit

RIT

22,000 merit

STEVENS

30,000 merit

U ARTS

26,000 merit/music

U KENTUCKY

Full tuition

U LOUISVILLE

Full ride

U MIAMI FROST

58,100 merit/music

U NORTH TEXAS

10,000 merit/music

U OREGON

5,000 merit

VERMONT

20,000 merit

Thanks so much for all you’re doing! How do we send a private message ?

Hi! You should be able to click on my name and then there will be a place for that.

1 Like

I don’t seem to have that option. Only to reply to thread. When I click on your name all I get is a note to say your public profile is hidden :confused:

Oops, ok I messaged you just now, but also I’m changing my profile so people can message me.

1 Like

UNT 10k music/merit
Berklee 30k

1 Like

Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to add publicly. I’ll update the list whenever there are a few more.

Include scholarships, but not aid. Some schools combine music and merit, or give both. However you send it to me, I’ll indicate.

BELMONT

15,000 merit

BERKLEE

30,000 music

COLUMBIA CHICAGO

16,000 merit/music (guitar performance)

CU DENVER

6,000 merit
1,000 merit (jazz guitar/performance)

DREXEL

27,800 merit

EASTMAN

LOYOLA NEW ORLEANS

25,500 merit/music (jazz guitar)
27,000 merit/music

MTSU

8,000 merit

RIT

22,000 merit

STEVENS

30,000 merit

SUNDERMAN

40,000 music

TEMPLE

6,000 music

U ARTS

26,000 merit/music (guitar performance)

U KENTUCKY

Full tuition

U LOUISVILLE

Full ride

U MARYLAND

10,000 merit + 20,000 music

U MIAMI FROST

58,100 merit/music
23,200 merit/music

U NORTH TEXAS
All UNT scholarships also grant in-state tuition.

10,000 merit/music (jazz guitar)
4,000 merit

U OREGON

5,000 merit (jazz guitar)

VERMONT

20,000 merit

Beverly - I don’t want to make it harder on you, but maybe can we add in the instrument? It may help to get an idea if there is a variation of scholarships awarded based on instrument and major (performance, education, composition).

1 Like

It’s not at all difficult, as long as people tell me. Anyone who’s willing to share, let me know and I’ll include it. I think it would be very helpful!

1 Like

Adding more today. Congratulations, everyone!

Note about terminology:

I’ve been using “merit” to mean academic and “music” to mean any music-related schoalrship. So, I’m not writing “music merit” on anything. Does that make sense? Or should I change to “academic” and “music”?

Cool! It’s wonderful to see so many great achievements and opportunities.

BELMONT

15,000 merit

BERKLEE

30,000 music

BOSTON U

80% tuition
Full ride

CASE WESTERN

Full tuition merit (flute performance)

COLUMBIA CHICAGO

CU DENVER

6,000 merit

DREXEL

27,800 merit

EASTMAN

ITHACA COLLEGE

22,000 music (vocal performance/music education)

LOYOLA NEW ORLEANS

27,000 merit/music

MTSU

8,000 merit

OBERLIN

80% of tuition merit (flute performance)

RIT

22,000 merit

STEVENS

30,000 merit

SUNDERMAN

40,000 music

SUNY FREDONIA

5,000 merit (vocal performance/music education)

SUNY POTSDAM/CRANE SCHOOL OF MUSIC

SYRACUSE

30,000 (vocal performance/music education)

TEMPLE

6,000 music

TOWSON

70% tuition (flute performance)

U ARTS

U KENTUCKY

Full tuition

U LOUISVILLE

Full ride

U MARYLAND

20,000 music + 10,000 merit
20,000 music/merit (vocal performance/music education)

U MIAMI FROST

58,100 merit/music
23,200 merit/music

U NORTH TEXAS

4,000 merit

U OREGON

VANDERBILT/BLAIR

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship

VERMONT

20,000 merit

Adding more today. Congratulations, everyone!

The costs of these schools vary so wildly, it may be helpful to add the resulting COA after scholarships. Do you think? Or does that make this more murky?

Cool! It’s wonderful to see so many great achievements and opportunities.

BELMONT

15,000 merit

BERKLEE

30,000 music

BOSTON U

80% tuition
Full ride

CASE WESTERN

Full tuition merit (flute performance)

CHICAGO COLLEGE OF THE PERFORMING ARTS

13,700 merit/music

COLUMBIA-CHICAGO

CU BOULDER

32,000 merit/music

CU DENVER

6,000 merit

DREXEL

27,800 merit

EASTMAN

ITHACA COLLEGE

22,000 music (vocal performance/music education)

LOYOLA NEW ORLEANS

27,000 merit/music

MTSU

8,000 merit

OBERLIN

80% of tuition merit (flute performance)
67,500 merit/music (dual degree)

RIT

22,000 merit

STEVENS

30,000 merit

SUNDERMAN

40,000 music

SUNY FREDONIA

SUNY POTSDAM/CRANE SCHOOL OF MUSIC

SYRACUSE

30,000 (vocal performance/music education)

TEMPLE

6,000 music

TOWSON

U ARTS

U KENTUCKY

Full tuition

U LOUISVILLE

Full ride

U MARYLAND

20,000 music + 10,000 merit
20,000 music/merit (vocal performance/music education)

U MIAMI FROST

58,100 merit/music
23,200 merit/music

U NORTH TEXAS

4,000 merit

U OREGON

VANDERBILT/BLAIR

Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship

VERMONT

20,000 merit

Anybody else told an Award letter (email) is coming soon (with no verified date) still waiting?
Anybody put deposits in at two schools just to secure housing and a space at a mandatory orientation session to get a date that works with the rest of your family’s summer schedule while you wait? I don’t love that idea ethically or the thought of forfeiting $500+ somewhere, especially after paying for all the audition travel . We have not done that, but can see the earliest orientation sessions filling or gone. At another school even first year students aren’t guaranteed housing on campus- it’s first come, first served by order of registration.
My kid too busy to worry. But I’m getting a little concerned about this. I am really appreciative of the two schools that got all their financial info out to us well before housing and orientation registration opened to all admitted students. (He applied Early Action everywhere). One of them is in the top two choices for him. I’m ready to go with that one. He wants to wait to see the other top school’s final numbers. Probably being more rational than I am :crazy_face::joy:

I’m so sorry. These things are troubling and make us so anxious. :heart:

If the orientation is mandatory, they will find a place for him. I wouldn’t worry too much about that one, unless it is a travel problem.

I assume you’ve spoken with the school that is supposed to be sending the letter. Did you tell them that you are weighing them and one other school, and you need to make a decision asap?

Don’t take my word for it! These are just thoughts, but could you say that you are going to have to put a deposit down with your kid’s other option if you can’t get the letter by a certain time? Someone else here can advise if that’s a good thing to do/say.

I would not put deposits on two schools. I’ve heard throughout these boards that both schools can rescind their offers if you do this. Some admissions pros on these boards say families actually do it and they expect it, but I would not risk it.

I think the dorm issue is worthy of a call to the housing department to find out/be sure you can or cannot make a housing deposit before he commits. Out of four somewhat-likely schools my kid has on his list, three have allowed us to do this (all publics) and one we have to wait to commit (a private).

Ugh…been there, done that (twice)…and survived despite my anger. And…yes my D was never as concerned (as I was paying the bills). I remember having to give in…a lot.

Hang in there.

2 Likes

YES! Housing deposits (UNT and second choice) while we waited for music merit award just to make sure it aligned with the verbal offer. Orientation is tough bc Im not sure if it’s refundable like the housing??? Also, add in the fact that we needed to get hotels/flights etc AND prices are only going up for summer travel. We waited until committed on that but certainly feel your pain bc spaces fill up and only a couple dates aligned with our summer!
This has been long and painstaking but the end is near…You will survive!!!

2 Likes

I should clarify that I meant you can put multiple housing deposits down, but not tuition deposits. The acceptance of admission and the tuition deposit you should not do at two schools.

1 Like

That’s good advice about housing deposit. I didn’t know that was possible before the enrollment deposit is made.
Mine is looking hard at UNT. I love it for him. They’ve also been the least hassle as far as the application and audition process. No hoops to jump through, essays that make sense to answer, and I even like their centralized portal for all the info in one place. It’s been interesting to see how well managed the admissions and fin aid process is. There’s plenty of housing! The prof has been wonderful to my kid, and it’s a great, affordable place to land.

UNT looks like a great program, very welcoming, very focused. I would feel very good about sending my kid there. :slight_smile:

UNT is one where you can make the housing deposit now, as long as he’s been accepted into the university (which I presume he has, if he’s considering it). If he chooses a different school, you will lose a deposit of, I think, $100? Or maybe $50. But you can request the dorm nearest to the music school, called Bruce Hall, if he would want to live with a concentration of musicians.

1 Like

This has been discussed before, but I’ll repeat since I can’t find it. @Newbie2324, you might want to make hotel reservations for move-in days at the schools he’s seriously considering. Make sure they are cancel-able. Some experienced parents recommend reserving directly with the hotel, because in the past some hotels have scrapped every reservation made through a third party site and jacked up the price when they realized what was happening that weekend. (This is not an experience I’ve had. It was on the Parents of '23 thread, I think.)

1 Like

Ohh I hadn’t considered that! Excellent advice! I am really, truly new at this as per my screen name :smile:. Greatly appreciate the support and advice from y’all! Thank you for starting these threads!

2 Likes