Scholarships are School Specific?

<p>I'm going to start applying for merit scholarships at UW-M soon and I'm just wondering how I should go about applying for them since they're school specific, and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to major in yet. </p>

<p>In my scenario I dont know If I'm going to major in mathematics (LAS) or actuarial science (BUS), do I just apply for both? What if I get a scholarship for LAS but I'm not sure I really want to major in math anymore? Do I let money sway my path?</p>

<p>JoeHaw - are you a Wisconsin resident? Most of the scholarships offered by UW-Madison are for Wisconsin residents…</p>

<p>(and UW-M is UW-Milwaukee, just a little FYI).</p>

<p>Edit: I see that you are an Illinois resident.</p>

<p>Here’s a link for L&S scholarship info: <a href=“http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/scholarships/[/url]”>http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/scholarships/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Not correct. Many department/school level scholarships make no such restrictions as to residency.</p>

<p>[Scholarships@UW-Madison</a> - Scholarship List](<a href=“Our Opportunities - Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH)”>Our Opportunities - Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH))</p>

<p>College of Letters and Science
Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors can apply for available department scholarships by searching here or contacting departments directly. The application for general Letters & Science scholarships will be available beginning in September 2010 with an application deadline of October 22, 2010.</p>

<p>The Incoming Freshmen application process for the 2011-2012 year will begin December 1 with a deadline of February 11, 2011. Offers will be made by phone in early April. Other communications will be sent via email in late April.</p>

<p>The College of Letters and Science uses one application to be considered for all eligible scholarships. To apply go to MyUW and click on the Financial Tab on the top of the page. Proceed to <a href=“mailto:Scholarships@UW-Madison”>Scholarships@UW-Madison</a>.
Students receiving scholarships should demonstrate strength in at least two of the following areas: academic achievement, force of character, creative accomplishment, leadership, community service, financial need, and diversity. For more detail about these values go to: [Scholarships</a> | Student Academic Affairs](<a href=“http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/scholarships/criteria.html]Scholarships”>http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/scholarships/criteria.html).</p>

<p>The scholarship application contains four sections: a demographic section, a recommendation section, an activities and accomplishments section, and an essay questions section.</p>

<p>Important Information</p>

<p>Do not wait to hear from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in regard to your acceptance to UW-Madison to apply for Letters and Science scholarships. Your admission will be verified prior to making an offer.
To be considered for scholarships with a financial need component you must have a FAFSA filed. Please review the following site: [UW-Madison</a> Office of Student Financial Aid](<a href=“Office of Student Financial Aid – UW–Madison”>Office of Student Financial Aid – UW–Madison)
The FAFSA information is reviewed in mid to late March.
Scholarship payments are contingent upon continued enrollment and good academic standing in the College of Letters and Science.
All payments are deposited into the student account at the Bursars office in the fall of 2010. Scholarships of $3,000 or more are split into two payments distributed each Fall and Spring semester during the student academic career.</p>

<p>Most scholarships available are for Wisconsin residents only. </p>

<p>The list and number of scholarships and amounts available changes without notice. This year approximately 40 scholarships will be available for incoming freshmen.<br>
There are about 15 scholarships for sophomores; and about 50 scholarships for juniors and seniors.
Please email <a href=“mailto:scholarships@lssaa.wisc.edu”>scholarships@lssaa.wisc.edu</a> with your questions or call (608) 262-4852. For more specific information and instruction about applying for Letters & Science scholarships please read through the web pages on the link provided below.</p>

<p>Well, I just went by my own count of the 70 scholarships listed and 34 did not have a Wisconsin resident requirement so if by most they meant 36 out of 70 fine. But I would not call that most. Most to me means around 90% or so.</p>

<p>Business 20 out of 31 were open to all.</p>

<p>Scanning through the other colleges/schools it is similar.</p>

<p>Maybe they need to factcheck their statements better.</p>

<p>A few pointers. “UW-M” is used to refer to UW-Milwaukee, just UW means Madison (as Mad85 pointed out). Not many merit scholarships available to freshmen compared to some public U’s. You apply to the university as a whole, it does not matter what your proposed major/school/college is on the application form (you can change it at any time- before or after you begin at UW, if accepted) for being accepted to UW. Most merit scholarships are awarded to current students, for example one math student may get a departmental award after freshman year’s courses- over one hundred students could be eligible- this is the probability of many awards. Do not count on merit money. </p>

<p>Presuming you are accepted and plan to attend UW you will need to discuss which calculus sequence to take freshman year with your SOAR advisor. It will be something to think about next spring. The Honors sequence is very theoretical/proof based compared to the more problem solving approach of the regular calculus. You will be able to meet requirements for both math and actuarial science with freshman courses, keeping your options open- you may even choose to double major in the two later on. Son UW math major- feel free to PM me next spring if you have questions.</p>

<p>wait but can I get an L&S scholarship if I wind up majoring in actuarial sciences in the school of business? Like I don’t get it because people switch majors all the time</p>

<p>Look at the website for available scholarships and read the fine print, follow Mad85’s advice and contact UW directly.</p>

<p>UW-Madison Actuarial Science Scholarship application info for high school seniors ($2,000/year for 4 years): [url=&lt;a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/asrmi/prospects/highschoolscholarship.asp]HighSchoolScholarship[/url”&gt;http://www.bus.wisc.edu/asrmi/prospects/highschoolscholarship.asp]HighSchoolScholarship[/url</a>]</p>

<p>For the L&S scholarships - if you intend to apply to the business school, you are considered to be in L&S until accepted into the business school. Thus, you could be awarded an L&S scholarship, but I believe you’d only get the money (if it is multi-year) until your status changed to BUS (often beginning of 2nd year).</p>

<p>The Wisconsin Business School and Acturial Science Dept. are well funded right now (rich??) and AS has quite a bit of scholarship money from the major insurance companies and other sources. Most is for soph year on (after business admission). For example when the current Dean moved to another post, they called just 200 alums for a gift to honor his tenure. They raised over $5 Million in under a month in a recession. I think that’s pretty good.</p>

<p>Check around here for AS scholarships info</p>

<p>[Scholarships</a> and Financial Support - Actuarial Science, Risk Management and Insurance](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/asrmi/prospects/Scholarships.asp]Scholarships”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/asrmi/prospects/Scholarships.asp)</p>

<p>My daughter is OOS and got money from engineering, so there is definitely money for out of state. hers is school specific and needs to be renewed after a year. Makes sense, nationally more than half of the freshman “switch out” of engineering, and often the number you hear is 2/3 leave engineering. Some scholarships are in state only, and that is completely reasonable, the donor can give for what they want. Many donors are very specific. Your local alumni association will give money to your state’s kids too, so look for that to come once accepted. And, a larger majority of students are Wisconsin residents, so logic says they should get more money.</p>