Scholarships at VT

<p>Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of stats it usually takes to get a scholarship at VT? Any differences in the stats for Eng students? </p>

<p>Let me put it this way… My daughter has never had less than an A ever, had almost 2100 on her SATs, was ranked 5th in her class, varsity athlete, accepted into the COE, had 25 ap credits accepted by VT and is on her way to a 3.8-4.0 GPA in her first semester…and she didn’t even get In to the honors program let alone get a scholarship. I hope it’s better for you!!! </p>

<p>There seem to be three categories of scholarships offered at VT. I’m not sure what the stats are for general scholarships. The freshman recruitment scholarships offered through the University Honors program (Stamps, Calhoun, etc.) lists stats for Honors acceptances (see below). Additionally, the colleges may offer separate specific scholarships, e.g., College of Engineering Davenport, offered by invitation only after first completing a survey (<a href=“http://www.eng.vt.edu/students/scholarships_incoming”>www.eng.vt.edu/students/scholarships_incoming</a>). </p>

<p>Stats for 2014 Honors (<a href=“http://www.univhonors.vt.edu/html/admissions.html):”>www.univhonors.vt.edu/html/admissions.html):</a></p>

<p>"Anyone applying to the university may apply to University Honors. There are no minimum scores that a student must meet in order to apply. For freshmen entering University Honors in the fall 2014 semester the average GPA was 4.24 (with a range of 3.51-5.00), the average (Math+Verbal) SAT was 1353 (with a range of 1020-1600), and the average ACT composite score was between a 30 and a 31 (with a range of 19 - 36). Our application looks holistically at an applicant’s experiences and considers quality of engagement over sheer quantity, self-awareness and reflection of involvement, and authenticity. "</p>

<p>Incidentally, the Honors application deadline (and application for the recruitment scholarships) has been extended to Dec. 8.</p>

<p>I’ll second what @crazymomof4‌ said. S1 had similar numbers and was offered nothing. Heck, when I was there 25 odd years ago with similar number I was offered nothing. I think it’s a combination of a small number of scholarships, combined with the fact many of the are very targeted. I can’t comment on honors, as we simply were not interested.</p>

<p>Certainly apply for any scholarships that are mentioned by the university, college or major. 1st year one son received $1000. Both received small scholarships the second year. I believe $3,000 and $1,000. Nice to have but certainly wouldn’t have affected the decision whether or not to attend. </p>