Scholarships for students from Appalachian communities who are majoring in health-related fields

<p>I wanted to contact the University of Alabama as we are offering scholarships to Appalachian students interested in pursuing a degree in a health-related field. The funding for these scholarships is provided by the New York Community Trust. The student can attend any college/university but they must be from an Appalachian community. I was hoping you might post or share this scholarship opportunity with your incoming and continuing students. The scholarship provides funding for up to $5,000 for one academic year. Materials need to be postmarked by 4/25/14.</p>

<p>The link to the scholarship announcement and application is: <a href=“http://cedik.ca.uky.edu/resources”>http://cedik.ca.uky.edu/resources</a>.</p>

<p>Can you make sure that the appropriate person(s) at UA receives this info? We would very much appreciate UA for promoting this opportunity. Feel free to contact me with any questions.</p>

<p>Thank you very much,
Sarah</p>

<p>Sarah Frank Bowker, M.A.
Program Coordinator
Community and Economic Development Initiative of Kentucky (CEDIK)</p>

<p>College of Agriculture, Food & Environment, University of Kentucky
419 Charles E. Barnhart Bldg. Lexington, KY 40546-0276</p>

<p>Phone: 859-257-7272 Fax: 859-323-1913
E-mail: <a href=“mailto:sarah.frank@uky.edu”>sarah.frank@uky.edu</a> Website: cedik.ca.uky.edu</p>

<p>Is this only for incoming freshman or can current college students apply also?</p>

<p>Yankee Belle…</p>

<p>When I clicked on the link, it appears that any college student can apply as long as they’re from the right community and are seeking a healthcare career. But it is unclear. Call and ask.</p>

<p>Appalachian Health Career Scholarships
The Community and Economic Development Initiative of Kentucky (CEDIK) at the University of Kentucky is administering scholarships where funding has been provided by the New York Community Trust, to Appalachian students seeking education in health or a health‐related field. Because of the shortage of health care providers in the Appalachian region, along with the expected retirement of many physicians and an aging population that demands more health care, the need to educate and then retain young health care professionals is a real priority. Scholarships are allocated for full‐time students with a maximum award of $2,500 per semester. Part‐time students are eligible to apply for partial scholarships. Students must be from an ARC defined Appalachian county to be eligible. Scholarship is for one year.
The 2014-2015 academic year scholarship application is now available.
Please, no calls or emails on the status of your application. All applicants will be notified by mail once scholarships are awarded.
Applications must be complete and postmarked by April 25th, 2014.</p>

<p>Thanks, I’ll call tomorrow.</p>