School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Of course, this does not mean all students and all classes. For example, even tho the Cal States are officially virtual campuses for fall, several of the Cal State campuses are looking to hold certain classes on campus, such as science labs and theater arts. Thus, the D1 schools such as San Diego State are still considering fall football as some students will be back on campus.

What I meant was, there is no need hire more janitorial staff, security workers, office help, etc. for office buildings when white collars offices in such building are not opening up wide for the past 6 months. That said, I’d still argue that the adults in the office will be more inclined to wash their hands after they touch shared objects than college students.

DS took the AoPS Calc course. He then took AP Calc BC in high school during his freshman year. What he found was that AoPS Calc and AP Calc had very different curricula: AoPS proves results like the Intermediate Value Thm and Mean Value Thm while AP only applies them; AoPS teaches the delta-epsilon definition of limits to show students how the math actually works, AP just waves its hands at the actual hard math.

AoPS most certainly does not teach to the AP exam, it teaches the mechanics behind calculus. AP Calc BC teaches how to apply formulas and theorems quickly. A student that takes AoPS Calc is not guaranteed to ace the BC exam since they probably do not have the experience grinding out integrals in five minutes or using their calculator to solve contrived problems quickly, but with a little bit of practice, they will easily get a 5 along with a far better understanding of calculus.

@guava123 I have heard that it is up to each school how to distribute. My DD’19 received money and didn’t have to do anything. She filed a FAFSA but didn’t receive need based aid. Somewhere on here someone posted a link to show how much each college got, and when I took her school’s total divided by the approximate number of students, it came close to the amount she received. So my guess is they divvied it up evenly but just a guess and no indication of what any other school is doing.

In CA, the cost is much more expensive than community college, even if we paid for the cc course ourselves. I like AoPS, don’t get me wrong. We homeschooled our girls through 8th grade (precalculus), and used AoPS materials as supplements to our main Singapore/Discovering Math/Saxon Advanced Math curriculum. But we only used the books with answer keys. The courses themselves were cost-prohibitive. YMMV, I guess, depending on the cost of dual enrollment. In CA, dual enrollment is free.

Yeah, that’s expensive! ($729 with books, plus the cost of the AP exam which is also expensive, in and of itself).

I don’t think anyone here has implied the schools haven’t thought of anything we haven’t. We are just parents sharing our perspectives about our kids returning to school in the Fall, which are often based on our own experiences. But I think it’s a fallacy to assume that the decisions that colleges making are not being driven primarily by the financial impact of the virus, but human nature means self interest often causes people and institutions to make bad decisions. Not all leaders listen to epidemiologists or public health officials and I’ll just leave it at that. We have schools that might go out of business if they don’t open in the Fall, and others that won’t if they pushed the start of school on campus to January but yikes, that means they won’t have a college football season and we can’t let that happen (fully disclosure, I’m a huge college football fan).

Well this isn’t going to happen on the first offense. So how many chances do they get? Rhetorical question.

Art of Problem Solving has always been geared toward to students who are more advanced in math (more advanced than AP level). The two-volume book with the same title by its founder is a classic in the math competition world. AoPS courses tend to be more advanced than most summer school or online courses on the same subject. Their math courses are generally proof based. For HS students who are serious about math, AoPS is almost without peers.

Sounds like the difference between the first year Calculus courses my Physics major son took vs the ones his Math major friend took. The one for the math majors was proof based.

Definitely. I’m sure there is a clause allowing for immediate termination if the faculty member endangers the safety of students. Obviously there would be warnings and documentation of the infraction, but if a faculty member refused to wear a mask they could be terminated.

Why are people talking about AP calculus and the Art of Problem Solving on this thread? What does this have to do with school in the fall and coronavirus?

I would think the student would end up in front of the student judicial council and receive a warning for the first offense and be put on probation. The notice of probation would be sent to the parents along with what happens if there is another incident. I’m sure most parents would help their child understand that being expelled from school is not going to happen.

I do wonder if the next step is not actual expulsion, but instead double secret probation. :wink:

The lower cost, commuter accessibility, and fewer luxury class amenities also mean that Canadian students and parents probably feel that they are not losing as much in terms of the “experience” that lots of people on these forums complain about losing at their luxury class private universities and LACs.

K-12 info.
In our midwest state, the state teachers union is asking the school districts to look at different authorities for K-12 teaching ideas as they do not agree with the CDC’s recommendations and say the CDC does not recognize the reality of teaching.

For elementary the CDC rules include no recess, masks all day, no sharing toys/centers/books/computers, no cafeteria lunch, no group tables, and keeping the same group of kids/teachers together. It makes sense in some ways, but seems really really hard to manage, especially when there are siblings in the same school but in different classes. Also primary schools share art, music, PE, gifted, etc. teachers. A neighbor who teaches K yesterday said “if there’s ever a time to hold your Kindergarten kid back, this is the year.” Of course, that’s for our specific district of 50K which is Low SES, with many transient struggling kids - only 1/3 of those kids responded to education efforts starting march 16. I’m making backup plans for my D23.

I’d be very interested to hear what other school districts or privates are doing. I’m guessing the smaller and wealthier, the easier? more parent support and buy-in? so please share when you hear your school’s ideas.

I’m hoping that by the time K-12 school openings happen in the fall, we’ll have better information about how kids transmit or do not transmit covid. If it turns out they mostly don’t transmit, then the strict rules could be relaxed a lot.

@amsunshine wrote:

It wasn’t in the hard copy weekend edition (and, no wonder - the time stamp did read, 7:30 a.m.) So, maybe it will be in tomorrow’s? I’ll take another look on Monday.

I second the fast pace of AoPs classes. D loves AoPS textbooks (has completed preAlg to Calculus) but has found the classes too fast for her with full time public school.

I posted it in the past few pages from the online paper. It was just a short paragraph.

My daughter at U of S. Carolina feels certain that if there are games but no fans, the tailgating will be huge. I don’t know if the school/ city will allow it, and how they will keep drunk people socially distanced.