School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

The entire article can be read here:
http://apkmetro.com/tempers-rise-as-parents-are-divided-on-whether-colleges-should-open-this-fall/

How do you know? This is totally speculative.

Was that article translated into a foreign language and then translated back?

It looks like pretty good machine translation. I’m thinking Ms. Zuiker lives in the state of Illinois, not Ailing.

I was just about to post that the article is very difficult to follow with a lot of ‘big words’ and whereas-es thrown in. And does the akpmetro not have an editor?

If the local municipality fines a resident up to $250 for violating social distancing directives how will the local school justify expulsion?

Parents are suing colleges and universities because their children had a few shaky Zoom classes and some difficulty corresponding with professors. What do you think will happen when a student gets expelled when a local resident could simply write a small check?

First off students sections need to be spread out. My son has had his tickets for months and not giving those up. Then season holders. Have to spread them out. Then General public. Probably no room for them.

So one of my bright ideas was to set up a large screen or maybe several around the stadium proper. But of course that would defeat the purpose of people gathering unless there was a way to limit the amount of people per section like in a large field or something like that.
Well… It’s a work in progress ?

I don’t see why a college should be expected to have the same rules as the municipality it’s in. Colleges can have their own rules, same as adjoining cities can have different rules.

That link says that:

Which naturally brings up the following question posted above:

The reason for all the odd phraseology in the unpaywalled version is that the site scraped the WSJ website and reposted the article with a bunch of words changed to avoid automated DMCA copyright checkers. None of the errors noted above are present in the original version. You get what you pay for…

That’s what schools have lawyers for.

Indeedy. I doubt there are any local ordinances against things that can get you expelled from a university. Like plagiarism.

Honestly I kinda hope D21 would catch it this summer and be done with it for right now and i don’t mind if I too get it.

So Michigan says they will know their plans in a few weeks but the president doesn’t see how they can have fans at games Well…open it just for students and limit it to 30 % capacity for the first game. Have social distance police (maybe students needing jobs) and have people really spread out. This is the test game. If that works then add 5 % for the next game and so on. 30 % at Michigan is around 30,000 or so. It holds 115,000 or around. I think this is really doable and also helps the team get motivated.

Re: football. My son at UofSC says the football-watching parties will just move to dorm common rooms, frat lofts, and off-campus homes/apartments, just like away games. I guess fewer kids will be congregated versus the stadium/parking lot tailgate.

And they’ll need them. The first school to expel a student for not social distancing will make national news.

I’m all for social distancing, but proportionality is necessary as well when dealing with infractions.

Not too hopeful about the fall term when parents are debating how harshly students that don’t comply with safety measures should be punished.

Boomers who lived through an earlier plague taught our kids to wear condoms.

@GKUnion wrote:

Another argument for a robust need-based FA budget: Fewer parents with money to spend on lawyers.

So will the first college that has someone get a bad outcome from COVID-19 that could plausibly be traced to students not social distancing. It is even possible for a college to end up with both types of lawsuits (e.g. a student diagnosed with COVID-19 still goes to a party and spreads it; that student gets expelled, but one of the other students, and/or a faculty or staff member in contact with an infected student, dies or suffers permanent injury from the infection).

Earlier today I posted, and then deleted, multiple links about colleges and universities trying to be exempted from covid liability.

And this is why Congress will pass a liability shield. We really do not have time for frivolous suits against colleges, work sites, public transit, or the city of NY for getting someone sick. Things happen. Accept the risk or stay home.