School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@Knowsstuff lol. MY point is that they likely won’t follow all of the rules all of the time so maybe just like college kids? And this camp said no masks needed in cabins so that’s the same as none in dorms too. That’s why it will be interesting to see how it goes.

@homerdog. Just glad it’s someone else’s kids to be the lab rats for the experiment. Lol…

So as talking further to my recent graduate daughter she said if she was not a senior she would recommend taking a gap year
She really didn’t like the teaching at all. Not up to the schools standard. But she would goo away and look for an excuse to travel also
LOL

She also said she wouldn’t sue her school like so many are doing but if the teaching at a lower rate continued she would join a suit.

My son… Could care less. He wants back on for his senior year. Most of his classes will be smaller in general and most project orientated.

Well it seems Rice answered on of my questions on how schools may do the mask wearing supply chain issue, it seems they will recycled the masked after washing them as opposed to throw away masks for every employee.Rice has about 7,ooo students and I guess about 3000 support staff/ visitors to campus, ( del people …) so they would need 20,000 mask, assuming a 2 day supply. We were wondering what our sons school will do for masks if his campus opens in the fall, I assume most schools will supply them.

My daughter is VERY happy she’s a sophomore. Feels badly for the seniors who will have their last year so disrupted. Her school will go back and she’s been in the “I will go back no matter what camp” but when she saw an email today about how her school is going to be handling mask usage and distancing, it started to sink it and she’s questioning if it’s “worth it”. But she hates the online classes too so I don’t think she’s serious.

I would suggest buying some cloth ones. My child is planning to have 7 since she does laundry once a week.

That’s the difference between boys and girls. My son has one cloth mask. He’s been wearing it to work every day for 10 hour shifts. I asked him if he wanted to switch it out for a clean one and he said it’s fine and he doesn’t need another.

Posters here are advocating college liability shields.

I get that people sue too much. But also, there are bad actors who should have to take financial responsibility for their life-endangering choices. I’m not convinced that we should offer colleges impunity for whatever choices they make by, for example, wrongly discounting lives in a desperate attempt not to fold. A better solution, in my view, would be a safe harbor for colleges: they wouldn’t face liability provided they did X, Y and Z to assure the community would be as safe as possible.

We can draw a line, but we don’t have to draw a line that allows colleges to do anything they want and still be shielded from liability.

I know I keep saying it but schools will have their branded masks… Might as well have school spirit. Actually on Etsy there are some really great one’s. Might want to think of a gift for the kids going back.

I think that mask / social distance requirements / rules in campuses are totally understandable. We all do in our area with some exceptions, especially joggers…(Bikers wear a mask, most dog walkers do, too). I wouldn’t feel comfortable to send my son back if his school isn’t enforcing the rules. So, some ‘clear’ rules would be good to follow / to be reminded for everyone’s health and education in campuses.

I bought some of washable face masks for my family and recently set a system, not to forget a clean mask every time leaving home and drop it in a spot after coming back home. No more excuse not to be able to find a mask. I do wash musks every night after washing dishes and hang / dry at a spot for later use. Our “mask station” is all within 1 foot apart. In next two months, hopefully my son will have a good habit about facial masks, not only wearing it but washing / drying to repeatedly use in campus / dorm. We can’t expect schools to supply facial masks for all students / faculty. They all must to get and maintain by themselves, just like underwear. It’s new normal.

Isn’t that the rules that many businesses, that are starting to open up, are following. As long as they follow all of the guidelines set up by their state, county, and city ordinances, they should be somewhat shielded from liability?

Of course if someone can show that the business was “negligent ” or some other cause of action than that might be a different story.

Local restaurants are allowed to open as long as diners wear masks while moving to and from their seat. While seated at their table they do not need to wear a mask. If colleges let students take masks off in class would that be fine with parents and students?

Wouldn’t being seated in a classroom be one of the higher risk environments at a college, since exhalations from a contagious student would be circulating around the enclosed room for an hour, causing everyone else in the classroom to risk infection?

@GKUnion I was thinking the same thing and I asked many pages back. If people are sitting down six feet apart, then why the masks? I thought masks were for when you can’t be six feet apart. I was thinking about high school, too, where the kids are in class for seven hours. Could they put masks on for passing periods but take them off if they are distanced in the classroom? I still do not understand the mask thing if people are not close to each other. That makes no sense.

New op-ed piece by the Purdue president: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-we-have-a-responsibility-to-open-purdue-university-this-fall/2020/05/25/da3b615c-9c62-11ea-ac72-3841fcc9b35f_story.html?itid=ap_mitchdaniels

He hints more about changes to de-densify housing and that each students will be given masks and thermometers before coming back to campus, along with a needing to sign a pledge.

@homerdog it’s about the accumulation of germs in the inside air.

I think the discussion about summer camp is interesting. If there’s a lot of spread, I think that tells us something. But I’m not sure the extent to which the converse is true. The cabins could all have their windows and doors open (screens on, of course), so lots of fresh air could be circulating. Also, isn’t there still a question about whether the heat will kill the virus? Or at least make it last less? It seems like one day you read one thing, and the next day you read the opposite, so I thought that question was still in play?

One question about Rice’s policy about masks, it said you don’t have to wear them in your residential suite. Do they also have dorms that have big halls and shared bathrooms for the halls? Would you have to wear the mask in the big shared bathroom? How about on your floor? Just trying to get a handle on the extent of the requirement.

Almost no one by me is wearing masks and I’ve had a couple of conversations with store and restaurant managers about their employees wearing their masks below their nose. The managers acknowledged that’s a problem, and said their employees are fighting them on the requirement because it’s “uncomfortable “. So I have serious concerns whether students will honor this (I think some will and some won’t), especially at social events. And I just don’t see kids going back and some of them not having parties.

By now we know of, unfortunately, many many superspreading events where participants much further than six feet from the infected person were infected. If people are in a room for a long time (like an hour) with an infected person, being six feet away may not protect them.

There are always exceptions, but everything I have seen is mask required to be worn in all indoor public spaces, so only a dorm room would be mask free. The one big question is what about dining?

Where I live you can’t go inside a public building without a mask. They ask you to leave or wear a mask, and if you refuse the police are called. Almost everyone outside has a mask either on or around their neck ready to be pulled up.

Seems like each area of the country has their own “normal”.

@“Cardinal Fang” I agree, but there would be significantly more talking in a restaurant, which should theoretically release more of the virus into the air than in a relatively quite classroom.

I wonder why restaurants would be allowed to operate this way, but colleges would not?

Because there is nothing magical about a 6ft radius that prevents virus droplets or aerosols from traveling further. ‘Most’ droplets will fall to the ground within 6 feet. Sneezes, big exhalations, shouts, projections, etc can go greater distances, there are air currents in rooms that can carry further, etc. And yes, the longer in an enclosed space, the more of those errant droplets and aerosols there will be.

Could be 6 feet is a made up number to give people a guideline and something to work on and think about. Now you will hear ‘keep 6 feet away but further is better.’

@GKUnion in most of S19’s classes, it’s not quiet. There’s a ton of talking by students for pretty much the entire class. It’s not lecture and listen. So kids will indeed have to speak through their masks if required to wear them for class.