School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

How much of it is up to the faculty, though? I’m an adjunct. I have virtually no say about what happens. Right now I have a contract for the Fall, which I realized yesterday could pose a scheduling problem if I have to do my lab on campus (not really possible from home) and then teach a course online from somewhere immediately following my lab. Will I be doing Zoom from my campus office, carting my laptop and equipment back and forth? Who knows.

@homerdog I truly think if there are hotspots over the country, it won’t change the situation with colleges in the fall; I believe they’ll figure it out.

I started a thread re high schools reopening in hot spots. It would be great if you could add to that thread. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/2186498-ideas-of-how-will-high-schools-can-reopen-in-hot-spots.html#latest

Art of Problem Solving - this is a relevant topic for this thread, at least for some of us, because if our school’s math classes (MS, HS, or starting college) are online, then the option might be a good one to take an AoPS class in addition or instead.

This is because the AoPS classes, are of (as others have noted) outstanding quality and are totally online so don’t have to adapt to this coronavirus world in order to deliver high quality mathematics instruction.

I agree that the courses are pricey, particularly on your first kid (so you have to buy the books). But they’re not more pricey than equivalent courses from JHU/CTY, from what I’ve seen, and the quality and support is excellent.

My older two boys adored AoPS courses and took them throughout MS and HS. My youngest, like someone else’s DD mentioned earlier, finds it hard to balance the speed of an AoPS math class along with regular school - however, this school-at-home time has been a blessing in that way: so much more time to work on independent learning including AoPS, books we want him to read, other tutoring and lessons (on Zoom), etc. He’s in middle school.

It occurs to me that for some family structures and kid personalities/strengths and importantly, kid ages - this online shift (of public K-12) will result in more learning, not less. I only mention this because most of the time we (properly) focus on the fact that some kids are not learning as much now.

Even for families who don’t have a ton of resources, but have a love of learning and a pile of used books from before the “safer at home” - kids can dive into reading, finally having a chance to do so without distractions, if they have that kind of personality. I’ve heard of several homebody kids from working-class families in my area for whom that is true.

Because most students don’t have high risk of fatality and many faculty do?

Because most students come in contact with a dozen or less faculty on a regular basis, and many professors come in contact with 100+ students regularly? More chance of catching it, and great chance of spreading it.

And, just out of self-interest of students and their families, no instruction (on-line or. in-person) will be possible if there is a large faculty outbreak and they can’t teach. There isn’t a substitute pool available for that scenario.

Because some already think it’s unreasonable to expect students to wear masks at parties.

I first heard it used by their Vice Chancellor Ian Waitz on one of the Covid-related Zoom town halls. I believe a few others used it in consequent calls, so yes, it must be a thing;)

That said, their departmental responses are very candid and sobering. Link to the spreadsheet is in the second to last paragraph here (it won’t let me paste the link directly as it’s a goodle doc, apparently not allowed by CC):

https://thetech.com/2020/05/23/department-teaching-scenarios

(You can make a copy under your own google account so you can read large text fields by pressing F2)

@alh please stop with the “high risk of fatality”. That is not true and it’s fear mongering.

I guess what I’m saying, too, is where will all be able to look this summer to say “masks and social distancing works” and then students and faculty will be a little more comfortable coming back. We know stay in place worked. We need some places in the country that are actually going by the rules that colleges want to employ to see how well it works. If so many people have just thrown in the towel, we won’t even have any evidence that the colleges can keep the virus at a low enough infection rate.

Interesting about LMU. My son is in the class of 2024…just enrolled…and we haven’t heard anything specific about hybrid options. Where did you get this new info? Thanks!

I just took a walk and saw a party going on with about 25 recent college graduates…no masks, and no social distancing.

If cases increase over the summer what will that mean for k-12 schools?

Summer camps! I just saw a story about how some of them are moving ahead with a lot of the same rules that a college campus would use. Now, the kids are outside more but they are living in cabins together and eating together. Some of those are starting very soon. Will be interesting.

After some research, my son’s college town hotspot is approaching 750 cases, but only 21 deaths. Every single death was in one assisted living facility. No one, regardless of age, or underlying condition, has died of Covid-19 in the general population. I find that interesting and encouraging.

@GKUnion yes. That’s the kind of info that I wonder if anyone is gathering.

Interesting about summer camps. I am assuming younger children. Don’t think I would send mine if I had any younger ones.

So I asked my daughter that just graduated college. Even her friends that graduated last year she said everyone is being responsible and social distancing etc. No parties etc. Sure they get together but just a few at a time. In someone’s backyard for lunch /dinner. Lots of walks kinda things. This was encouraging to say the least. She said no one wants to get CV so they are doing everything they can not to.

The risk is high enough that lots of people are still trying to avoid being infected, and even those who see the risk as low and advocate trying to get to herd immunity are not rushing forward to get infected so that they will become part of the immune herd as soon as possible.

@ucbalumnus fair enough. But some posters seriously make it sound like faculty are going to be dropping dead left and right even if everyone is wearing masks and they are behind plexiglass. If those professors are so worried, then I hope they also are not going to the grocery store.

Camp Ozark starts the first session June 1, college counselors there already. They had to provide proof a negative COVID test when they checked in. Looks like campers will just have to have parents sign a form and pass a temperature check.

I didn’t see any mention of needing to wear masks, just of mandatory hand washing. It will be ok though, they are sleeping the campers head to toe in the cabins for social distancing, and will spread the dining times out a bit. I’m guessing it will be camp mostly as usual, minus the buses.

Heard the blurb from the AR Gov about a teenager swim party being responsible for some of the second spike but haven’t seen more details.

There will be more data before school decisions have to be made.

@knowstuff the camps I just saw on CNN were for pre-teens with teenage leaders. Putting seven in a cabin instead of ten. Should be something schools can analyze and see how it goes.

@Schadret - I did not know that, thanks for the info, I thought RU was the only NJ state school with a medical school. and a hospital .

I wouldn’t trust this age group is my point. Or maybe they will follow rules better with counselors. Hmm…