School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@bluebayou I’m sure they probably will, but that should not make parents of students more confident in the schools commitments to the safety of students.

I don’t know that it should make parents less confident, either. Testing athletes frequently is a whole lot easier than testing the masses of students. Plus, a school can require a team member to show up for the test.

A school can require any student to show up for a test.

yes i committed to Duke. :slight_smile: hoping to have live classes now, at least some hybrid form of it. i can’t do more online classes from home. otherwise thinking of deferring.

[/quote]

Congrats!! My D is at Duke…it has been everything she wanted for college and more and she misses it terribly.
As you know, all of the freshman live on East campus while upperclassmen are on West…East houses many frosh classes, has its own dining hall/rec center, etc. It will be interesting if that separation ends up being a plus in terms of how/when they bring students back in the Fall.

I go back and forth as to whether schools like Duke- where almost all undergrads live on campus and it is the residential experience that is a big part of what they value- will have an easier time or a more difficult time getting students back on campus.
Duke is starting to pack up dorm rooms and will be storing the students’ belongings and as of now, still plans to move them to next year’s dorm assignments (student could have a few boxes sent home but trying to explain to a mover in a short conversation where to find what items to ship was not worth it for my daughter). I take this as a good sign.

This sounds small and selfish in the scope of things, but I think it adds to the feelings of disconnection for students who don’t go back in the Fall but still have their belongings there, unaccessible. I’m sure Duke is not the only school in this position where kids had to leave everything behind. My D doesn’t need her winter clothes and boots here in SoCal:) but her Duke basketball jersey, concert ticket stubs, favorite pictures in special frames,etc… her school was her new home in every sense - classes, teachers, friends, clubs/activities/experiences, and her dorm room where she left her most treasured mementos that hold alot of sentimental value. It’s all there at school. Best of luck to you and again, congratulations.

@austinmshauriaustinmshauri It’s OK if you were talking about other people’s comments.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean that: 1) the kids will show up; 2) the school – particularly publics – can afford testing for thousands of students; 3) the school will enforce any penalty, against hundreds of no-shows. (hope I’m wrong, but the cynic in me…)

In contrast, the few hundred fall D1 players don’t practice or play unless they get tested.

I’d think that a D1 school could afford to test their students. I know of a few (ASU, Uof A) hat plan on student testing. But, I guess the more interesting question is - can they afford not to test?

@Rivet2000 - Regarding #2 , a fair amount of campus dorm rooms are for freshman, some schools make freshmen live on campus , so if they are not back the school will lose a fair amount of cash and as a parent of a freshman, hopefully living on campus in Sept, if my sons school did that, I would have a very sour taste in my mouth and not sure if that school would get my money for the next 4 years. there will be plenty of schools that will be very happy to take my money for the next 4 years I am sure. I am pretty sure that would lead to a lot of kids jumping ship to another university.

@Rivet2000 - I do not see how a school has a choice on testing, if they want campus to be open they have to figure out a way to test kids, can they afford it, they will find a way or they will not be open for campus students to come to. Also I do not see the local state gov’t signing off on a college not doing testing. Maybe I missed your point?

@NJdad07090 I’m just floating some ideas to keep density down. Several schools (MIT et al) have already stated that bringing grads students back represents the smallest risk as they already know the ropes, and have private rooms/baths. On the opposite end of the spectrum are the freshmen who need quite a bit of support in the best of times and are usually housed in dense dorm conditions. All schools are different, but in general, grad students pose less rick than freshmen. BTW, I have nothing against freshmen.

@Rivet2000 - I understand what your saying and grad students would sting a lot less than saying all upper classmen and women cmon back, frosh , you sit it out until Jan, assuming all goes well that is.

I see it mostly with homemade masks. When they aren’t ironed, the ribbing curls and the mask doesn’t fit flat against the cheeks. A mask should cover both the mouth and nose and fit securely under the chin, on the side of the cheeks as well as on the top of the cheeks and nose. There should be no gapes or openings.

I’m just raising a point of practicality. For example, UCSD has ~38,000 students, and their “audacious” goal is to test 1500 per day. UCSD believes that they need to test 75% of their students. UCSD is on the quarter system. Midterms will be over before they get thru the first round of student testing. And that assumes that they test only students first, i.e., no faculty or staff. If instead they test faculty and staff and students, the term will be nearly over before they complete the first round of testing.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/education/article/UC-San-Diego-begins-audacious-coronavirus-15291425.php

If sports only represent $$ to a few schools, why does almost every college in the US have sports (and lots of them)? Sports bringing money to the schools doesn’t just mean that the gate revenue at the football game puts it in the black. Harvard and Yale don’t make money on sports, yet each school sponsors 30+ sports (and UT-Austin only sponsors 18 varsity sports). So yes, they are making money on sports. And a reputation. And a feeling of school pride.

U of Arizona has ~35K students and plans to test all. Good for them.

D1 schools come in every size - both in number of students and size of the bank balance. There are big D1 schools like Ohio State and UT-Austin. There are also very small D1 schools like Presbyterian and Stetson and Drake and USD that don’t have the budget to test 100 football players and probably another 100 coaches, PTs, maintenance workers in the locker rooms, tutors, etc. every week.

When you say “ribbing” what do you mean? In textile terminology, “ribbing” is a type of particularly stretchy knitted fabric, like the cuff of a sweater, the top of a sock or (often) the band at the neckline of a crewneck T-shirt. I haven’t seen any homemade mask with ribbing. Do you mean the side of the mask where, for some styles of mask, there are two or three pleats?

So are those colleges with athletic programs or athletic programs with a school :smile:

I plan to hit the lottery.

My $$ is on UofA :smile: