School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

The SEC isn’t requiring testing of all players before they are allowed back on campus to practice. UGA and UF have said they will test all of them when they arrive, Mizzou has said they won’t, and the rest are keeping their cards to themselves. To me this is a hint about testing when the students come back. Some will test everyone, but the rest will try to minimize that cost.

How often would a school need to test every student to effectively control community transmission? Is it every few days?

Are you sure you want in on that action?

https://tucson.com/news/local/university-of-arizona-plans-to-resume-in-person-classes-this-fall-semester/article_a593635a-8b19-11ea-8618-b71856607cd7.html

Yep

Most of the ones my son has came from math or programming competitions sponsored by tech or trading firms. Another handful from firms visiting campus for recruiting events. (He received a really nice umbrella from some company, and cozy plaid sleep pants from another.) He and his co-chair/co-president have already met on Zoom to discuss the online competition they will be hosting next fall, even if school is open.

I don’t know that school clubs will be allowed to meet.

@twoinanddone wrote:

I’m pretty sure sports are a net expense at Harvard and Yale. A lot of eastern colleges were charter members of the NCAA (in fact, it was mostly eastern colleges in the beginning) and there may have been a golden age back in the 1920s and 1930s when they had national profiles. But a lot of those 30+ teams consist of sports like lacrosse, squash, field hockey and others that are really just hooks for boarding school kids. At the smaller DIII schools like Amherst, Williams and Wesleyan, a semester without practice or a travel schedule or any of the other expenses associated with varsity competition would go a long way toward paying for test kits and other emergency items associated with the pandemic.

Now I know what you mean. Neither of my kids ever did math or programming competitions - they are not STEM kids so I was not familiar with this type of thing. My daughter lucked onto a job early so didn’t do any on campus recruiting events, my son isn’t there yet having just finished his freshman year. Most of my kid’s shirts are from orientation, volunteer day. dance-a-thons, road race teams, football games, basketball games, etc. You have a point that many of these things may not happen this year.

D is on the executive council for one of her clubs and said they’ve been given no direction yet by the university. They’ve been in touch with similar clubs and it’s been crickets so far. They are having virtual meetings throughout the summer and are making all kinds of contingency plans in case they can’t meet in person. At some point the university will need to reach out and provide direction before the club starts incurring expenses.

My son was asked to be on a panel today with initiatives for the University. His club just went virtual when they needed to. The groups /committees he’s on are just virtual. They are moving forward with speaker panels etc as they always had. They have a large virtual reality lab and will have to discuss on how to use it in the new world… Lol… But will have to follow the guidelines the university sets forth.

I know research is starting back up now at school.

It’s going to be challenging. They hold weekly meetings /events which can range to 15-50 + students and facility depending on the week.

Do you really think that schools like Harvard and Yale would take a reputational hit or have diminished school pride if they suspended sports for one year? When most people think of Harvard and Yale they think of their academic reputation, not their sports. I don’t even think they would have fewer applicants or matriculants if they decided to eliminate their sports programs permanently.

Their admitted pool would change. Sports are an avenue for some types of applicants to secure admission.

We know two kids (rising seniors) who have already been recruited for their sports to Yale for 2021-22 so doing away with sports would be a problem for kids like that! I don’t see the Ivies ever doing away with sports.

Some/most schools have policies regarding how many “contact hours” they can assign to faculty (some backed by unions). As an adjunct, my school could not separate my two 24-student sections into four 12-student sections without a sizeable pay increase (X 3 - 3.5). Regular faculty can only be assigned X contact hours maximum per semester.

@sylvan8798 wow. So an extra two hours in front of the students would get push back from faculty? I’m now going to ask a very naive question that is not meant to upset anyone but here goes - how do professors fill their week? Some profs at Bowdoin have two classes. TWO. They each meat three hours a week. That’s six hours total. Where’s the other 40 or so hours coming from? Yes, they need to grade papers or tests but there are 15-20 kids in the classes I’m talking about and really not that many tests each semester. I’m sure some would say there’s research or their own writing but does that count in their “working hours per week”? Again, I suppose it’s embarrassing that I don’t know these answers but seeing faculty on these threads makes me want to ask.

No question. That will be the same as K12.

Might be time to shop around for some new faculty?

Regarding sports, there are many benefits to playing a college sport that provide you benefits that you will carry with you for the rest of your life like a) extreme dedication to skill to maximize your potential; b) leadership skills; c) team work; d) work ethic; and e) effective time management.

Getting an “education” is not just about academics. I think sports (or similar acitivities like marching band, theater, etc.) are important whether its at the high school or collegiate level.

Sad. Guess the “we are all in this together” thing isn’t really a thing.

I think they are a nice-to-have as opposed to a must-have. Academics, however is the raison d’être for schools.

But do you really expect that some should have to essentially double their workload?

Obviously, every college is different. In our local Cal State system, profs teach 5 classes, as they are primarily a teaching institution as opposed to R1 research. Should all of those 30 student classes be cut to 15 for SD, forcing the Prof to teach everything 2x? Assuming that they physical plant. This is likely one big reason that the Cal State system went to online for fall. (Not to mention the cost for testing 200k students.

What about the already poorly paid adjuncts, which predominate in academia?

The answer to your earlier question is Bowdoin profs, like all profs, are conducting research. (How do you think LACs get so much love for having a high PhD production per capita?)