School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Re staying at school without going home until Thanksgiving… the VT schools send the kids home every 6 weeks. I’m not sure if that’s state law or just all of their practices. I’ve heard this was originally implemented to reduce suicides.

@melvin123 Yikes.

Regarding Thanksgiving and quarantine…I wonder what would happen if the family traveled to their child’s campus to celebrate Thanksgiving. We did that a couple of years ago and had a great time. In this situation, I wonder if the student would still have to quarantine even though he didn’t travel anywhere?

@shuttlebus it seems like that would break the spirit of the rule if not the rule itself, no?

I don’t know. I would imagine that the schools will address this issue when they announce plans for the fall.

In our situation, we drove the 10+ hours to campus. Had my son come home, he would have had to fly, which obviously would have increased the amount of people he came in contact with.

Neither the employer nor the union can legally change the terms of the contract without opening up the whole contract, which could take a long time to settle. Typically, neither side wants that.
Also, I have to wonder why educators are always expected to give more and do more without extra pay.

@Jagrem not the place to debate that but my husband (and me when I was working full time and a TON of other people in this world) work way more hours for a salary and don’t get “extra pay” during busy times when we work even more than usual.

And I just talked to a friend of mine who has a PhD from Stanford and knows a lot of tenured faculty and she said it’s a cushy job for sure. The faculty she knows are not busting their butts at work anymore. To ask them to do a little more during this time seems fair. I mean, do these people care about education or not?

Are those people in a union? Unions have worked so hard and long to get rights for their members that they aren’t going to turn around and waive those rights. Whether someone thinks they have cushy jobs, or knows some professors who don’t work as hard as others, has no bearing.

That could be due to state rules. For example, if a student attends any college in Hawaii, under current state quarantine rules, s/he is required to self-quarantine for 14 days when arriving from out of state or from a different island from where the college is located. The self quarantine means not leaving one’s residence or hotel room except for medical care, including having food delivered.

Faculty and staff are already taking pay cuts. I don’t think any of them are eager to double their workload on top of it.

We actually aren’t all in this together. I net something like $19k/year. With the pay cut that’s being discussed next year I’ll probably clear $17k. Why? Because families want a discount if they can’t have the full college experience. If we were all in this together families would absorb some of the cost, but it seems like all the sacrifices are supposed to come from faculty and staff.

As far as I know, Missouri doesn’t have a 14 day quarantine rule so this is a Wash U thing.

University of South Carolina has published a pretty detailed outline of their 4 phase return to work for employees (culminating with welcoming all students back to campus). https://sc.edu/safety/coronavirus/employee-policies-procedures/return_to_work_plan/index.php

In addition, as of June 1, face masks will be required in all classrooms among other places. https://sc.edu/safety/coronavirus/index.php#Messages

Title IX. They have to keep the numbers proportional to the m/f make up of the school. Men’s teams are usually bigger, so there are fewer of them. Sometimes a team is dropped because other schools in the conference can’t support them. In the case of dropping indoor track and not XC or spring track, it is probably a money issue because the number of athletes wouldn’t change that much (probably most do all three track sports).

The family may be subject to quarantine requirements if arriving from out-of-state to a state that requiring those arriving from out-of-state to quarantine.

@austinmshauri what would you like students to give up that they aren’t already going to be giving up? Geez. Our S19 will be giving up a ton of what his experience would have been at Bowdoin. If we send him back at full price, we will definitely be sacrificing what we agreed to pay for when he accepted his spot there. And I also think not all professors agree with you. With my own two ears, I heard his essay prof tell him that she can’t wait to get back into the classrooms with the kids even if it means masks and distancing. She WANTS to teach.

@austinmshauri - I think plenty of families , and most professors , would agree what is being taught this semester is not the way any one expected classes to be and 95% of people paying the bills have paid the regular tuition rates w/o complaining, understanding that was beyond anyones expectation, most would not be happy paying the same bills in the fall but my guess is most would do it for what they and their kids perception is not what they signed up for. I really do not feel that all the sacrifices are one sided. yes schools are losing money and their staffs are taking some hits but that is happening outside the college campus as well. And I would guess a decent amount of schools will be raising fees and tuition in the summer, maybe not as many as in past years but I doubt it will be zero.

…A fact which has always surprised me. What’s the idea behind looking for all the tips and tricks and methods to achieve admission to a place when you don’t think it’s anything special?

@momzilla2D - did they say how they would enforce this for kids living off campus?

@fretfulmother Which posters have said anything about their son or daughter’s school not being anything special? I must have missed something.

Adding-I hope you are not referring to me just because I asked how professors spend their time outside of class and time that they spend with students. As the parent of a son who was interested exclusively in LACs, he (and we) liked that professors at these types of schools were there to teach and didn’t rely on grad students. I’m sure there are other things they are responsible for and that’s why I was asking.

This sounds lovely, aside from pandemic concerns. Where/what did you eat? Were the dorms open for your kid to stay in? Were hotels inexpensive (because usually they’re not so full at TG)? (I think this is on topic because it might well apply to some campuses this fall.)