School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Could be. My impression is they don’t plan to do a ton of online only classes. But, it’s possible they will have to for the larger classes because I don’t know how else they’d handle them.

My school has not made any modifications to the scheduling yet to reflect whether courses will be online or in person.

There haven’t been any modifications to the schedules at my sons school either. We were just looking at it last night and is still showing the same class sizes and same classrooms.

For colleges that already did registration I would assume there will be updates. If kids don’t completely re-register then they’ll just be informed how each of their classes will be run and get change info on where they will meet if in- person since that might change.

I do know a handful of schools that have not done registration yet.

I don’t see a re-registration happening at D’s school but I could be wrong. I think it’s more likely some classes will be moved online and kids can choose to adjust their schedule as needed. Most classes at her school are relatively small. She only had one larger one scheduled for fall and ended up taking it online this summer instead. I think the larger classes will, for the most part, be intro ones the freshman take, and freshman don’t register for classes until they get to campus in August.

Not a lot of details yet from any college but I’ve seen a lot of “classes over 50 will be online and smaller classes are more likely to meet but in classrooms where social distancing” messaging. But then there are the issues with professors and some won’t teach in person so those would also be online.

I’m glad Bowdoin just waited. My understanding is that kids will know which classes are online and which are in person and they’ll choose half of their classes in each category.

Thanks - S is attending a CT college so we had been notified. I guess they just had to have a plan approved to open. It will be interesting to see what UConn does.

@homerdog Are you sure it’s not that all classes will be offered both in-person and online and you choose your schedule and you pick which two will be in-person and which two will be online? At Amherst, they are making it so all courses can be taken remotely, and as many courses as possible can be taken in-person (where social distancing is possible).

At my son’s school 15,000 undergrads registered for their fall 2020 classes in April. There’s no way the school will blow that up and start over. Four of my son’s classes are for his major, and they run in a very defined sequence. The other class is for his minor and is only offered in the fall. The incoming class hasn’t registered yet so that obviously provides flexibility.

FYI, I was off by 5 days, and obviously had no clue about the trigger point.

Again, whether classes are in person or remote seem to be the least of our worries. Stay safe everyone.

If some students are remote and some are simultaneously in-person, have they said how that will work with proctoring exams and such? Are all classes going to be broadcast via ZOOM or something, so that students not in the classroom can tune in? or videos posted online after the fact?

Classes will no longer be able to have part of the grade based on class attendance. I know in the past my kids have had some classes where you are only allowed to miss one or two sessions a semester. They wouldn’t allow a medical miss unless you had a note from the campus health center which was a real pain to get. I know in the past my kids have just taken DayQuil and figured they could tough it out for a few classes. That will become a thing if the past. Next year they will want you to stay home if you have a cold, because you don’t really know at first what you have. Sore throat and a cough? Maybe it’s a cold, or maybe not.

If you combine going partially or fully online, with the fact that you don’t want any kid in class who is even slightly sick, attendance requirements are going to have to be relaxed.

@sylvan8798 They haven’t said yet, but I’m sure they’ll figure it out. Though, with exams this past semester, there was no proctoring of any sort; all honor code.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled. My D is taking an online Organic Chem class this summer at her school and I don’t know if they are graded on attendance but they are graded on participation in their discussion section of the class. I guess the difference is signing up for the class was optional and you wouldn’t have signed up for a discussion session time that was inconvenient to you. I think schools have to be flexible if you can’t attend for illness.

@ChemAM no idea. We don’t have any details about Bowdoin’s plan and what I heard could change. I got the impression that, if a student could not do a class in person, they could choose four of the online classes but I don’t know if that’s what they meant. They were definitely still working out options. I do not think there are going to be many kids who cannot take class in person. The kids there have been surveyed in a number of ways and it seems they all prioritize being back on campus. I guess it would only be internationals who left (although it sounds like most stayed) or kids with serious underlying conditions.

@me29034 kids are not going to stay away from class if they have the sniffles or a sore throat. That’s not the virus. Many people have called their doctors with all kinds of symptoms that point to a cold or allergies and doctors do not suggest Covid testing. If they have a bad cough or a high fever then that’s different.

Actually…sniffles and a sore throat can be the virus, but of course it can be any number of viruses.

My friend’s 2 kids tested positive …sniffles and a sore throat were their only symptom. They were tested because they were exposed at a gathering.

This virus doesn’t always have typical symptoms. You could have stomach issues…and that’s it. You could have body aches for one day…no fever…and then it disappears only to lose your smell and taste.

It’s really one strange virus.

@twogirls hm well I don’t know why doctors are then telling patients they should either have certain symptoms for it to make sense to get a test. That advice is coming from doctors in many states right now. You don’t call your doc and say you have a sore throat and he suggests a Covid test and that won’t happen at school either. I’m sure that colleges will have guidelines as to which symptoms kids should have before going for a test. Kids get all kinds of colds and viruses in college and 95 percent of those are not going to be Covid. Now that testing is beefing up in states, we can see that only a small percent are positive and those are likely people with the common symptoms like fever and cough.

While it is uncertain exactly what the mix of online and in person classes will be in the fall, the current unrest is likely to push many more governors towards opening up their states and getting kids back to school and college, just as it will increase the urgency to start up major league sports over the summer to distract people.

I can’t say why doctors by you are not recommending this test. I can only say that people here have tested positive with sniffles and a sore throat (most sore throats and sniffles are not covid). My daughter’s friend tested positive and her only symptom was a rash on her arm. My D lost her taste and smell.

I do know that the virus can have different presentations. How will the schools react to this in regard to testing? I don’t know.