School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Suppose a Bowdoin student wants to take four obscure upper level courses that are designated to be in-person. Will s/he be allowed to take all four?

@PrdMomto1 I am sure that so few online courses show up in your D’s class list because it’s out of date. It likely hasn’t been updated to reflect what is really going to happen.

Splitting a course into two sections to allow for social distancing means that the college needs to find additional instructor time and another classroom. Whether the college is a LAC or a large university, it cannot escape these additional needs. “Sorry, we are not offering [interesting upper level elective] this year because the instructor is needed to teach added sections of [popular introductory course] and we have no more classroom space.”

@ucbalumnus I think the idea of self infecting to gain immunity might be a bit premature. We do not know how long immunity lasts. We have no handle on the mutations that may or may not come.

Also if covid cases go up in an area governors might rethink if they want to continue to reopen. If students try to self infect they will need a positive test to be sure they have caught it and that goes into the data used about if reopening is causing spikes in cases. It could easily cause more harm to the students’ cause than good.

Soka University of America is holding all fall classes remotely, and no students will be allowed to return to campus.

@MBNC1755 Coronaviruses are much more genetically stable than influenzas, so any mutations making the situation for colleges worse (especially considering that most mutations make diseases less deadly, but more infectious) is highly unlikely,

Last I heard they’d found 148.

I live in San Diego, close enough to UCSD that I see the students around. I’m pretty sure that the 5,000 number only included students who live on campus, so that would be undergrads. There was probably a substantial number of international students who stayed. Whenever I go to the shopping center up by the university I see students going in small groups to get take out or In the grocery store. Some of them are wearing UCSD gear, so pretty easy to identify. I was surprised to hear that none of the students tested positive, but in our zip code, which is 50,000 people, we only have 40 cases, including an early cluster of 7 who got infected on a ski trip back in early March. Everyone here wears masks, but as time goes on, I definitely see more people getting together in small groups.

@ucbalumnus it is not up to me to figure out how Bowdoin will make that plan work. It’s up to them. And they seem to be saying that it’s one of the options they are considering.

UCSD has some campus housing intended for graduate students.
https://hdh.ucsd.edu/arch/pages/FAQ.html

I was surprised to hear that Drexel is having an open house in August…my brother is a rising junior and got the email

Of the 7 schools D21 is looking at (all in state), 3 of them are currently scheduling in-person tours. We have 2 set up for July and 1 for August. Obviously, things change daily around here due to the virus, and those tours could easily be cancelled, but I have to admit, it gives her something to hope for with all the disappointments this spring brought.

She was also able to register for a July ACT and an August SAT. Now we wait and see.

Take anything you can get in the summer - is my thought. I think college visits (outside) will be very low risk. Hopefully colleges are reading my suggestions and setting up self guided tours with headphones and designated spots like we get in museums!

I had the same question as sylvan, I think.

If you have been infected, will you test positive on Day 1, or will you only test positive on Day 5? (As an example). So when is the earliest you test positive?

And on the other end, when you are getting better, do you test positive when you are no longer communicable?

This is all related to the fact that colleges are going to test kids when they come back and are relying on those answers. I’m curious what the gaps are in the testing.

Indeed, UCSD has 3500+ on campus beds for grad/professional students, and space for 2,000 more that were supposed to open this year.

I agree and think it’s even worse: some foolish people will conclude “masks don’t work” because that was the rule but there was an outbreak.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Again, topics of general interest, such as the efficacy of masks, belong in the “May” thread - they are welcome there.

Please look over your post before making it public - does it have anything to do about schools opening in the fall? If not, please don’t post it.

One reason we’re being stricter is that this thread is in the Parents’ forum, not the Cafe. This forum is meant for school-related topics.

Regarding schools this fall, I see many are cancelling fall break, and at least one, Duke, cancelled spring break too. Do we expect most will end up with only 1 long winter break?

@roycroftmom Indiana U also cancelled spring break. They are starting class from home in mid-Jan and bringing kids back to campus early Feb. So, no break between Feb 7 and whenever they end. I don’t remember that date.

I guess they’ll all make calendars that they think will work best. I just hope schools can make a plan and stick to it. There are a lot of kids who fly to school and I, for one, am hoping to not be changing flights left and right. If there’s an emergency, I get it. Otherwise I hope a calendar is set and they stick with it. As it is, lots of families haven’t made flights for August yet and time is ticking.

Connecticut state colleges (no word on UConn yet, separate system) can bring students back to campus starting August 24th and they will come home at Thanksgiving for the semester.

@taverngirl

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/coronavirus/connecticut-state-colleges-universities-to-reopen-in-fall/2279139/