School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

ikr! ok thanks for replying @socaldad2002 and @2ndthreekids. appreciate it. both my mom and dad want to come, so that means my younger sibs go too - but i think they’ll get a airbnb to stay in for a week or so. then maybe we can go early so i can get to know the area a little (i’ve never visited ever)

Can anyone help me out here? I am currently a student who finished my freshman year at a big ten university and I enrolled a deposit to another school as a transfer. However, due to the COVID-19 situation, I am unsure if I want to transfer or not. I submitted my enrollment deposit because the deadline was up and I wanted to see how both schools would plan their fall semester. How long would I have to make a decision? Am I allowed to register for classes at both schools and withdraw from the one I decide not to attend before classes start?

@yeayea8 Please start your own thread. This thread is just about colleges’ plans and the virus.

Maybe we could get back on track? It’s also not the place to discuss drop off at Duke.

Wouldn’t it be expensive to be enrolled in two colleges at the same time? I know most are public so maybe you can take a couple of courses in each online, but at some point you’re going to have to commit to the one you want to transfer to.

@theloniusmonk @yeayea8 not on topic!

wouldn’t an admin make that call?

I think it’s a valid question, not just at Duke, but other colleges since there are CV-19 related restrictions about how many family members will be allowed this year compared to earlier years.

I agree that drop off logistics are a valid topic for this thread since it may be different this year than in past years.

Would colleges welcome lots of parents and others to accompany their students to their campuses in the fall? I’d bet there would be restrictions.

i was asking about at all campuses, what have others heard for drop-off? wasn’t trying to hijack. this thread is helpful b/c students from all different schools have different info which helps us all

Ok. I get it. We’ve all been scolded before for not staying on topic. Looked to me like someone was just asking @socaldad2002 if he’s bringing the whole family for drop off. It wasn’t a general question.

Some colleges just had short windows for students to get their stuff out of the dorms. Has anyone done that alone? Likely, there was one parent present to help. IMO, no one should be bringing the extended family along for college drop off ever. It can be so crowded in the room even if it’s just a double with two student and four parents. I definitely can’t imagine bringing the whole clan this year.

As for this:

Not on topic.

D20’s school just announced today that the start of classes has been moved up 2 weeks and will end with finals the day before Thanksgiving. Move in will be done by scheduled appointments in mid-August to reduce congestion.

Her summer job was just taken off the table due to the virus, so this gives her something to be happy about (as she looks for another job).

@cstp28 Which college?

Yes, this year it probably will be less appealing to bring the whole family to drop-off. If you are paying for flights and can only do that sparingly, there probably will be better times to show off the entire campus inside and out in the future. However, I don’t necessarily agree that no extended family should go to drop-off ever. When we dropped off my oldest, my other child wasn’t available so it was just us parents from our family, but we LOVED meeting my kid’s two roommates’ parents and siblings–we all went out to lunch together, laughed while helping them set-up their suite, took a walk together and more. It set us up for better connections going forward–all the parents went out over parents weekend, and having met the siblings definitely added to the whole thing. I also saw a few proud grandparents who I think were thrilled and not in the way at all; quite adorable. However, I agree that this year, depending on how COVID spreads or recedes by fall, and state regulations, you may not even be allowed to all go out to eat together, etc. Less than ideal. But soooo exciting to be a freshman–good luck no matter what you choose to do!!

Rice preferred parents did not help kids move out though many still did (myself included).

On the RIce parent’s boards freshman parents are talking about bringing siblings to move in and looking at last years schedule (which included a big lunch for each residential college and seminars for parents after drop off) and assuming things will be the same this year. Several of us have gently reminded them that things may be different this coming year but so far I’m not sure it’s sinking in. Hopefully details will start emerging.

It’s hard for the incoming parents I think. Many haven’t seen their kids new homes in person and want to experience that with them. It would have been really hard for both me and my husband to not be there, but D is an only so we didn’t have to worry about other siblings.

@homerdog Central Michigan University. It’s in a less populated county in our state, so the numbers of people in town go way up once students return to campus. I wondered if this decision would be made, and yes, today they posted the news.

Agreed - and also, for any student who has younger siblings who need to be cared for, or who might have their own start-of-school festivities, it’s not always possible that it would be either or both parents. For my own drop-off, and my oldest son’s drop-off, it was one parent and one opposite-side grandparent (father and maternal gf).

God help you. I don’t know how English teachers survive reading painfully written freshman comp papers for hours and hours. I would be drinking so much. I am thankful that there are people who have the rugged constitution to handle this. I am not kidding or being snarky.

All of the girls show up this way after the lice letter stating that there is lice in the grade level goes home. But yes, everyone ends up knowing.

Haverford has sent the students a survey with three options- school in person with various safety measures (Including altering the school calendar), school in person for a selected sub-set of students and online for the rest, online for everyone. She hasn’t filled it out yet, but they’re clearly weighing drastically different options.